The Student Room Group

Is there any point claiming for this hit?

Parked my car in a car park today with CCTV.

A car next to me somehow managed to scratch me (so my silver car now has black paint on the side) and cut into my wheel arches. All in all, it's cosmetic damages - and considering I've scratched it a few times myself - isn't much of an issue. The car is 17 years old.

But the thing really bugging me is, they pushed in my wing mirror - but then also keyed me. The dust from my paint that had been keyed was still on the car when I returned!! Why someone would scratch you with their own car and then also key all is beyond me. Must be a wonderful person.

So I spoke to security of the car park, who have footage of my car and are trying to get an image of the registration to send to the police. But...should I bother claiming? Will I lose my no claims bonus for claiming?

Would the cost of claiming be more than a paint job??
Original post by mcgreevy1993

A car next to me somehow managed to scratch me (so my silver car now has black paint on the side) and cut into my wheel arches. All in all, it's cosmetic damages - and considering I've scratched it a few times myself - isn't much of an issue. The car is 17 years old.

But the thing really bugging me is, they pushed in my wing mirror - but then also keyed me. The dust from my paint that had been keyed was still on the car when I returned!! Why someone would scratch you with their own car and then also key all is beyond me. Must be a wonderful person.

So I spoke to security of the car park, who have footage of my car and are trying to get an image of the registration to send to the police. But...should I bother claiming? Will I lose my no claims bonus for claiming?

Sure you don't want a new car buddy?

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
the cost of a paint job
jesus i haven't laughed that hard in a couple of years
you tell the insurance you will have a financial right off unless you have a premium branded luxury or sports car
and it will be scrapped for less than a quarter G
If security guards get the offenders registration surely claiming against them shouldn't affect your NCB. Unless the offender can't be identified or wasn't insured it should be paid for by their insurance.
If they were caught keying your car on CCTV then you can probably sue for criminal damage and maybe get compensation?
Reply 5
There is no point claiming because it will put up your insurance even if it not your fault. The IC will assume you are in the habit of getting into areas where your car will be damaged.

I won't waste money repainting a 17 year old car.
Original post by WoodyMKC
If they were caught keying your car on CCTV then you can probably sue for criminal damage and maybe get compensation?

In this case it is criminal damage and worthy of a police report.
Did you park in your bay correctly (central)?
I am not advocating their response but poor parking causes annoyance to others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending