Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'll start with I met my new best friend in the beginning of this year, at the start we just talked occasionally and he had other friends he preferred, and we both had time by ourselves. So essentially over the peroid of the year we became very good friends, but we argued a lot, especially if I took longer than around 10 minutes to respond and I said I was just doing other things, he complained about how if I actually liked him I would reply instantly and wouldn't play any games or talk with anyone else... This kinda frustrated me, considering we talk most of the day, I enjoy it, it's great, but I don't feel as though I have any space, at all.

For example, the otherday I decided to go out with some friends I hadn't in, well, over a year friends I've known since I was 4 years old, and hell I've barely known him a year. I replied roughly 30 minutes late to his message just because I was just with them and wanted to be, but I left because otherwise I knew he would be angry. And well, he was. And the same sort of argument occured about how I didn't care about him and all this and how all his friends leave him for other people. He was about to delete me too, but I didn't want him too because I knew that'd upset him, so I eventually he calmed down and we just chatted and did what we usually do, which is just play games and whatever, it's great and it's fun, and relaxing. But, I just don't feel as if I can do anything else, really. And it just makes me upset, because I like him as a friend, a really good friend, but I just feel as if I have no control and would like space, not much, but I just don't want to lose contact with friends, or to have him be annoyed with me for talking to other people. Maybe that's normal and I shouldn't be talking to others? I don't want to talk to him about it because it makes him upset and angry at me, though I'm not sure what to do... Could anyone help me?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'll start with I met my new best friend in the beginning of this year, at the start we just talked occasionally and he had other friends he preferred, and we both had time by ourselves. So essentially over the peroid of the year we became very good friends, but we argued a lot, especially if I took longer than around 10 minutes to respond and I said I was just doing other things, he complained about how if I actually liked him I would reply instantly and wouldn't play any games or talk with anyone else... This kinda frustrated me, considering we talk most of the day, I enjoy it, it's great, but I don't feel as though I have any space, at all.

For example, the otherday I decided to go out with some friends I hadn't in, well, over a year friends I've known since I was 4 years old, and hell I've barely known him a year. I replied roughly 30 minutes late to his message just because I was just with them and wanted to be, but I left because otherwise I knew he would be angry. And well, he was. And the same sort of argument occured about how I didn't care about him and all this and how all his friends leave him for other people. He was about to delete me too, but I didn't want him too because I knew that'd upset him, so I eventually he calmed down and we just chatted and did what we usually do, which is just play games and whatever, it's great and it's fun, and relaxing. But, I just don't feel as if I can do anything else, really. And it just makes me upset, because I like him as a friend, a really good friend, but I just feel as if I have no control and would like space, not much, but I just don't want to lose contact with friends, or to have him be annoyed with me for talking to other people. Maybe that's normal and I shouldn't be talking to others? I don't want to talk to him about it because it makes him upset and angry at me, though I'm not sure what to do... Could anyone help me?
    Don't be confused or guilted into thinking that what he's doing is normal - it's not.

Perhaps you should have a talk with him about it - if he gets upset, say 'case in point' and block him - or seriously reevaluate whether it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Block him and when he starts getting angry say "this is why I blocked you" and explain to him that it's not right to be so overprotective or needy and that if he wants to make more friends that will last he needs to fix himself up.

Why do you think all his other friends left him? You really don't need someone like that in your life but if you really want him there then you can try and help him. And if it's not working and he's not improving then you have no choice but to leave him or he's just gonna keep being controlling and jealous and whatever. You're not even in a relationship... do you think he likes you or is that just how he is? Regardless it's ****ed up and he needs to fix himself.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.