Turn on thread page Beta

Mobile rates? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if i will get charged for recieving a call from a uk mobile in France to my mobile in the uk? I'm on vodafone and theyr on T-mobile

ReputationRep:
    you won't- person roaming pays for international leg of call which is also why you get charged to receive a call when roaming.

ReputationRep:
    We get charged stupid amounts for our mobile phone calls compared to other countries in Europe. My advice would be not to take the phone abroad at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    We get charged stupid amounts for our mobile phone calls compared to other countries in Europe. My advice would be not to take the phone abroad at all!

i agree. it will cost you a major bomb. unless you absoultely need that phone dont take it. it will only make you wana send messages or similar anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    i agree. it will cost you a major bomb. unless you absoultely need that phone dont take it. it will only make you wana send messages or similar anyway.
    Yeah, but the person is in the UK. They're asking about receiving calls from someone calling from abroad, in which case it's free.

Roaming is expensive because the person roaming pays for the international legs of outgoing and incoming calls, normally at quite a high rate.

ReputationRep:
    That cost a bomb, best to get calling cards.

ReputationRep:
    Taking your phone abroad is quite weird. Last year, I was walking across the sand dunes of Gran Caneria, and received a text message from a friend, asking me to sign in to MSN IM.

ReputationRep:
    At least on Vodafone, you do pay for *receiving* calls while in france (i'm on PAYG - pay as you go) and it cost me about 75p a minute to both make and receive them to a landline, so to another network would cost *at least* that. Text messages are free to receive, but cost about 40p to send. That would be probably your best bet.

If you visit the websites of the manufacturers you'll find price plans - www.o2.co.uk, www.vodafone.co.uk, www.orange.co.uk (and t mobiles is never very informative for me lol)

Hope it helps! Everyone else is right in saying that it costs a fortune tho! I'd recommend if you are on PAYG to take some spare topup vouchers with you cos u can still top up abroad, and then you can limit what you spend. And, if you haven't used them, they'll do for back in england.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.