Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are my rights? Period issue at work!!! please respond Watch

Before I begin, I am posting anon however this is for a friend who doesn't use the student room but we want to know if there is anything she can do.

So although on birth control (one with no break) my friend is bleeding, like her periods in the past this bleeding is so very heavy, like really heavy.

Today she is at work (in a fast food restaurant as a cleaner) working from around 11-7:30pm, she's already been given her only break and it has just ended and thats when I spoken to her. Anyway, she went to work wearing period control, multiple knickers and each pair has a pad on, and she has bled through all of them and onto her work pants. The blood stain is minor, not too small but not too big, and is probably noticeable from what I have seen on a photo. She told her manager who made her search for new work pants in the store and there was none, made her ring other stores and there was none and then her manager said "why aren't you wearing a sanitary towel?" she also said that she can't send her home as its too busy.

Surely her managers response is wrong? Whether the restaurant is busy or not surely my friend should of been sent home right? She is now back to work until 7:30 and is walking around with this stain, she said she feels so insecure however if she walked out from her job she'd get into trouble.

We are wondering if there are any rights of hers? What can she do? And what are your opinions on this situation?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    It was unethical for the manager to behave like this.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how or why she was wearing multiple pairs, makes no sense to me.
    But no personally I don't think sending home would be right, just go to the bathroom and wash it out and change your underwear. That's what I'd do, doesn't really warrant going home to me personally.

ReputationRep:
    I think in this situation the manager was totally out of order. If your friend has to take another break, she has to take a break! However there was no reason for your friend to be sent home for such a minor issue. I understand it can be a little embarrassing talking about these things with your manager but maybe she should have a word with her in private to let her know that she feels she wasn't being treated fairly.

Of course having periods at work is pretty rubbish but for future reference, maybe your friend should take some extra underwear or pads to make sure this doesn't happen again.

ReputationRep:
    It's shite being on your period whilst at work... i guess her manager could have sent her home but no mercy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Before I begin, I am posting anon however this is for a friend who doesn't use the student room but we want to know if there is anything she can do.

So although on birth control (one with no break) my friend is bleeding, like her periods in the past this bleeding is so very heavy, like really heavy.

Today she is at work (in a fast food restaurant as a cleaner) working from around 11-7:30pm, she's already been given her only break and it has just ended and thats when I spoken to her. Anyway, she went to work wearing period control, multiple knickers and each pair has a pad on, and she has bled through all of them and onto her work pants. The blood stain is minor, not too small but not too big, and is probably noticeable from what I have seen on a photo. She told her manager who made her search for new work pants in the store and there was none, made her ring other stores and there was none and then her manager said "why aren't you wearing a sanitary towel?" she also said that she can't send her home as its too busy.

Surely her managers response is wrong? Whether the restaurant is busy or not surely my friend should of been sent home right? She is now back to work until 7:30 and is walking around with this stain, she said she feels so insecure however if she walked out from her job she'd get into trouble.

We are wondering if there are any rights of hers? What can she do? And what are your opinions on this situation?

Thank you.
    I don't really see what right you could invoke. If a period is too heavy then unfortunately you will have to take a (half) day off sick or else use a (half) day of holiday. I am not sure whether in general you can demand that an employer send you home sick, but what it would come down to if they refused would be a disciplinary procedure for walking out. I suspect that an employer would not want to put themselves in a position where it looked like they were disciplining/dismissing an employee for something resulting from sickness.

Now, I know that you do not need to provide an employer with a sick note from your doctor unless you are off work for more than a week, so I suspect the legal position is that you have no obligation to provide a professional medical opinion for going home and putting it as a sick day.

It is disgusting that managers and employers feel they have the right to control the presentation of their employee even when the reason for her poor presentation is a "medical condition" which she cannot choose. It is doubly disgusting that they commented on her period, which (for reasons I cannot fathom) is an very sensitive topic for young women, with such little tact. It is especially egregious and immoral to demand that she pay for a new pair of trousers out of her own pocket.

Employment rights and anti-discrimination should be extended greatly in this area so that medically compromised individuals are at no disadvantage in the workplace or in the job market.

However, this is not very likely at all, as since we have had the Tories in they have steadily gone about removing employment rights: you can now be sacked without explanation at any time within the first two years, and if you want to access legal aid to bring an employment tribunal you have to stump up a £2,000 lump sum within six weeks of getting the sack. This incentivises employers whose staff are on low wages to ride roughshod over employment law.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.