The Student Room Group

What are the benefits of marriage?

Are there any?
you involved the government in your love.

Any personal benefits to either man or woman in the contract?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Benefits of marriage for men:
None.
Benefits of marriage for women:
Half your mans belongings and custody of the children whenever you get bored.
I was thinking about this the other day, And came to the conclusion that there is none.

I can't imagine having to wake up to the same face everyday, stressing about bills, I might end up getting bored.

I mean there are some positives, but so far the negatives out weighs the positives. :/

Man just going to carry on casting his fish net out there.
Yes, if we re talking contractual, you avoid inheritance tax and can share your personal allowance as a married couple, you can't do this when you are solely a cohabiting couple.
Reply 4
Original post by saeed9723
None.

i see thanks for the info
Original post by Wiggly jiggly
I was thinking about this the other day, And came to the conclusion that there is none.

I can't imagine having to wake up to the same face everyday, stressing about bills, I might end up getting bored.

I mean there are some positives, but so far the negatives out weighs the positives. :/

Man just going to carry on casting his fish net out there.

i see well thanks for enlightening me on the matter
Original post by claireestelle
Yes, if we re talking contractual, you avoid inheritance tax and can share your personal allowance as a married couple, you can't do this when you are solely a cohabiting couple.

wait what?
so you can avoid sharing your stuff if you're married but if you're not married but together you can lose your stuff? that's scary
Reply 5
ah someone with the same mentality as me, who needs a gf or kids, just be a loner all your life xD
Original post by Steelmeat
i see thanks for the info

i see well thanks for enlightening me on the matter

wait what?
so you can avoid sharing your stuff if you're married but if you're not married but together you can lose your stuff? that's scary

If you have a will then it's normally okay, but my dad died without one and not married to mum so she got nothing and I got it all and that was after a 6 month wait for probate.
Original post by saeed9723
None.

:eek:
Reply 8
If you have a will then it's normally okay, but my dad died without one and not married to mum so she got nothing and I got it all and that was after a 6 month wait for probate.

oh :/ sorry to hear your loss :jumphug:
Yes 100% ^

ah someone with the same mentality as me, who needs a gf or kids, just be a loner all your life xD

Who said you can't have a gf/bf but not marry/have kids? Planet is already overpopulated, its just stupid traditions.
Reply 10
Original post by ckfeister

Who said you can't have a gf/bf but not marry/have kids? Planet is already overpopulated, its just stupid traditions.

Me because i'm too ugly to get one *cries eyeballs out
I agree which is why i refuse to reproduce i'll send my time doing something more constructive.
oh :/ sorry to hear your loss :jumphug:

It's okay, I m getting our will sorted way before kids but we should be married anyway by then so they don't end up paying bills like I had to at 10 years old.
Reply 12
Benefited of marriage.

0. Having to spend your life with someone, have kids, bills, stress

Not to mention the fact I can't die alone👎👎👎
The legal stuff you get extra from being married is tite, but then if you divorce the legal stuff is... less tite, to say the least.

Idk if I'd get married or not but I'm 100% certain that I do not see the point in the whole wedding ceremony bs at all.
Reply 14
It's okay, I m getting our will sorted way before kids but we should be married anyway by then so they don't end up paying bills like I had to at 10 years old.

Ah ok ^-^
Original post by HeimIX
Benefited of marriage.

0. Having to spend your life with someone, have kids, bills, stress

Not to mention the fact I can't die alone👎👎👎

haha
I will get half the sh*t he has if we get divorced :tongue:
Reply 16
Original post by Retired_Messiah
The legal stuff you get extra from being married is tite, but then if you divorce the legal stuff is... less tite, to say the least.

Idk if I'd get married or not but I'm 100% certain that I do not see the point in the whole wedding ceremony bs at all.

meh no point for me, for the reason of who tf in their right mind would marry me, and also marrying is a waste of time and money
meh no point for me, for the reason of who tf in their right mind would marry me, and also marrying is a waste of time and money

subjectivity of attractiveness tho fam. Get rid o' dat attitude. Weddings are usually a massive waste of money tho ye
Agreed.
Reply 19
Original post by Retired_Messiah
subjectivity of attractiveness tho fam. Get rid o' dat attitude. Weddings are usually a massive waste of money tho ye

there are some things which can't be called beautiful i'm most likely one of them

Quick Reply

Latest