Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    today i worked my first shift at a busy cafe. I worked for 6 and a half hours and wasn't given a break and therefore didn't eat anything throughout my shift or have a sufficient amount of hydration. Is this illegal for an employer not provide a break for employee's and is there any action I should take to make sure this doesn't happen again ??

ReputationRep:
    iirc you are entitled to at least 20 minutes break if you're working over 6 hours.

You should bring it up with management.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    iirc you are entitled to at least 20 minutes break if you're working over 6 hours.

You should bring it up with management.
    It's different if you're under a certain age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    It's different if you're under a certain age.
    For 16-18 year olds (England & Wales) it's 30 minutes per 4.5 hours work

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/wo...nd-employment/

No idea about those under school leaving age it doesn't mention breaks.

ReputationRep:
    Why not find out the owner/employer's perspective first? It could range from a deliberate policy of exploiting workers to an oversight caused by a sudden spike in business when all hands are needed on deck.

Why not ask, in a friendly way, if breaks are permitted and monitor the reaction.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    you should get 20 minutes break,assuming that was from your shift start time to set end time not assuming anytime you were expected to be there early for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.