Questions to the Secretary of State for Infrastructure – 28 May 2016

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Order! Questions to the Secretary of State for Infrastructure!

Ministerial questions is an opportunity for members to debate the policies and ideas of the minister, in this case the Secretary of State for Infrastructure, the Rt Hon. Rakas21 MP, who will answer your questions over the course of two days.

Given there is no obvious Shadow Cabinet opponent (bar perhaps Whiggy), the Deputy Leader of the Opposition, the Rt Hon. Kay_Winters MP, may ask two questions, with a follow-up question for each. MPs may ask one question, with one follow-up. Ordinary users may ask one question with no follow-ups. Please keep the joke questions to a minimum.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
When will the MHoC be presented with plans to fix the desperate aviation capacity that is needed in the South of England?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mr Speaker, i thank-you and the Prime Minister for arranging my return to the dispatch box and invite the House to question me as they wish.

(It feels good to be back even if briefly).

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
When will the MHoC be presented with plans to fix the desperate aviation capacity that is needed in the South of England?
Mr Speaker, the bill in question will be presented to the government tonight or tomorrow and as such release to the wider House can be expected early in the new week.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Stance on HS2 and the centralisation of the Northern Powerhouse?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
Stance on HS2 and the centralisation of the Northern Powerhouse?
Mr Speaker my views on these subjects are well published however it is needless to say that i am strongly in favour and through my bills over the years i have probably devolved more power to the core 8 cities (including those in the northern powerhouse) than probably anybody else.

While in government my task will be to potentially amend part of the eastern leg of HS2 to pass through the centers of Nottingham and Sheffield while continuing to aid our cities in the north. I can also announce that i will expanding upon plans for the north to generate it's own electricity and heating in my departmental review which can be expected in weeks.
EricAteYou
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What is your current view on Hinckley Point power station and the stability of said project?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by EricAteYou)
What is your current view on Hinckley Point power station and the stability of said project?
Mr Speaker, discussions have taken place in the Tory sub-forum on this very subject (no decision has yet been made) however i can say that my view is that construction should not proceed so long as EDF require either unfunded liabilities from government or the guarantee of a minimum price for 30 years. As yet however, no alternative proposal has been properly constructed and so canon remains.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does the Secretary have any plans to expand or extend the 24 hour tube, or is he happy to leave it to canon (I assume this comes under his remit considering we don't have a London Mayor)?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
Does the Secretary have any plans to expand or extend the 24 hour tube, or is he happy to leave it to canon (I assume this comes under his remit considering we don't have a London Mayor)?
Mr Speaker, my current priorities in London are to ensure that HS2 is properly situated and connected and also to ensure that Crossrail 2 gets the green light. Other than that i am currently content to leave such decisions to Transport for London at the current time.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mr Speaker,

Can I ask the Secretary of State how he proposes to ensure that new infrastructure has renewable sources of energy as far as possible, low carbon footprint in construction/operation, and high standards of energy efficiency?
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Saracen's Fez - just to let you know, Kay_Winters is the new Shadow Secretary of State for Transport.
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mr Speaker,

I would like to ask the Secretary of State for Infrastructure whether he believes more money should be invested into road resurfacing?
SakuraCayla
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Currently Mr Speaker many people still, despite CCTV, manage to get away with fair dodging, costing, according to the Association of Train Operators, around £240 million in 2013 alone, and bus fare dodging in London is estimated to cost £61.47 million by the end of 2015/16. What does the Right Honourable Gentlemen and his Government plan to do about this?
cBay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Mr Speaker, my current priorities in London are to ensure that HS2 is properly situated and connected and also to ensure that Crossrail 2 gets the green light. Other than that i am currently content to leave such decisions to Transport for London at the current time.
Is connecting HS2 to HS1 a possibility, and would you consider doing so in order to allow for direct trains from the South of France to the North of England?
cBay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kay_Winters)
Currently Mr Speaker many people still, despite CCTV, manage to get away with fair dodging, costing, according to the Association of Train Operators, around £240 million in 2013 alone, and bus fare dodging in London is estimated to cost £61.47 million by the end of 2015/16. What does the Right Honourable Gentlemen and his Government plan to do about this?
Bring fares down and class 16 and 17 years olds as children I'm doing his job for him.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can I ask the Right Honorable member if he has plans to dig a train tunnel to Ireland?
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I welcome the right honourable gentleman back to the dispatch box. Mr Speaker, how much does the government intend to spend on infrastructure projects during the course of the current parliament?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Question time is now over.

If the Secretary of State wishes to answer the unanswered questions in this thread he should let me know and I will unlock it for him to do so.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Mr Speaker,

Can I ask the Secretary of State how he proposes to ensure that new infrastructure has renewable sources of energy as far as possible, low carbon footprint in construction/operation, and high standards of energy efficiency?
Mr Speaker, energy efficiency in particular is a high priority of mine and several related plans were outlined in Ad Hoc. Moves to renewable will continue to take place but not in a manner that shafts the poor, burdens them with taxation or is generally unfeasible.

(Original post by Quamquam123)
Saracen's Fez - just to let you know, Kay_Winters is the new Shadow Secretary of State for Transport.
I congratulate the Prime Minister for his appointment but inform him that i will slay Kay in glorious battle.

(Original post by Quamquam123)
Mr Speaker,

I would like to ask the Secretary of State for Infrastructure whether he believes more money should be invested into road resurfacing?
Mr speaker, road surfacing is currently the responsibility of local councils and i am content to leave such decisions to them. I do however think we should assess whether our currently strategy of cheapest over long lasting surfaces is really the best one.

(Original post by Kay_Winters)
Mr Speaker, i have no immediate plans to tackle this issue however greater use of ticket barriers on both buses and trains for entry and exit may be a prudent solution.

(Original post by cBay)
Is connecting HS2 to HS1 a possibility, and would you consider doing so in order to allow for direct trains from the South of France to the North of England?
Mr Speaker, i can assure the Hon gentlemen that HS2 will have a direct connection to HS1 and will plow on to ensure this. I will also continue to call on the foreign secretary to support continued expansion of the European high speed network.

(Original post by Aph)
Can I ask the Right Honorable member if he has plans to dig a train tunnel to Ireland?
Mr Speaker, i would certainly support construction of such a tunnel were Ireland to rejoin the union. Currently however the cost of the project to NI is too prohibitive given the small population size.

(Original post by RayApparently)
I welcome the right honourable gentleman back to the dispatch box. Mr Speaker, how much does the government intend to spend on infrastructure projects during the course of the current parliament?
Mr Speaker, no final decision has been made regarding final funding however my proposals once enacted will represent a substantial spending increase. I emphasise however that my commitment to fiscal sustainability is absolute and these proposals will be fully funded as we continue our path towards surplus.
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)

I congratulate the Prime Minister for his appointment but inform him that i will slay Kay in glorious battle.
:confused:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (196)
60.31%
No (71)
21.85%
Not sure (58)
17.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed