Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in year 12 and I am doing 3 science and maths
    in year 13 I plan to do bio, chem and maths. If I get predicted 3 As do I still have a chance of getting into good unis for medicine, If I do then can you tell me which ones
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by dragonblazer11)
    in year 13 I plan to do bio, chem and maths. If I get predicted 3 As do I still have a chance of getting into good unis for medicine, If I do then can you tell me which ones
    Those subjects won't rule you out of any university. But it also all depends on GCSEs, UKCAT/BMAT and personal statement. There is no point picking places to apply (unless your GCSEs rule you out from places) until you have sat your UKCAT.

Use this as a starting point
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

ReputationRep:
    research yourself, but your chances also depend on your GCSE's (for some unis such as birmingham, oxford etc) as for predicted grades, you're good for most apart from the ones that require A*AA.
    The reason I say you should lok up yourself, is because you should start learning early how to do thigns on your own. Fair enough if its something you don't know how to do or can't do on your own, but in your case, its just a matter of being lazy, especially because there is a nice list of medical school and their entry requirements (and even if there wasn't, you should still be able to look a the individual med sschool's websites anyway)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...el-requirement
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by dragonblazer11)
    Uni applications are made up of more than Alevel grades for medicine.
    - your GCSE grades must be of a minimum standard. I always say to applicants that 6A/A* grades will usually get you over the requirements for most universities. if you have less than that you may have to be more careful with your choices, if you have got more it open up doors to universities such as birmingham, oxford and cardiff where the emphasis is highly on GCSE grades.
    - entrance exams such as the UKCAT and BMAT make up a large part of your application, and currently Bristol is the only medical school which doesnt require one or the other.
    - work experience and extra curriculars are very important and ideally you should have some work experience/voluntary work in a caring/medical environment and you should be able to show you can be a leader and take responsibility.

as you can see its more diverse than you think, and a lot is required of medicine applicants to meet the mark.
    I am not in any position to be able to tell you where you can and cannot apply to, especially with the current Alevel reforms because medical schools are changing their entrance policies right now and im not very familiar as of yet. My best advice is try and tick all the boxes with work experience and check your grades are in order. and then have a look at each of the medical schools websites. there are a lot of choices and I dont have the time to run through every requirement for every single one with you right now.

Your Alevel grades are good, but it will rule you out of A*AA courses such as oxbridge, birmingham and UCL. so keep that in mind.

If you have any more questions Ii dont mind answering them at all!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.