Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a quick question regarding accompanying a learner driver. Basically I’ve been driving for 5 years, and up until March it was with an automatic only licence. I’m now able to drive manual and automatics legally. A friend of mine is a learner and I’ve been asked to accompany them while they drive. I’ve checked the government website and it has the following:

• be over 21
    • be qualified to drive the type of vehicle you want to learn in, eg they must have a manual car licence if they’re supervising you in a manual car
    • have had their full driving licence for 3 years

I’m over 21, qualified to drive a manual and had my drivers licence for over 3 years. However, some website I’ve seen state that I would have needed to have had my manual licence for 3 years before I can accompany them. From what I’m aware, an automatic licence is a full licence only with restrictions, so by the bullet points above I’m able to accompany them even though I’ve only been legally able to drive manual transmission for nearly 3 months? Could anybody shed any light on this at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spawns)
    I have a quick question regarding accompanying a learner driver. Basically I’ve been driving for 5 years, and up until March it was with an automatic only licence. I’m now able to drive manual and automatics legally. A friend of mine is a learner and I’ve been asked to accompany them while they drive. I’ve checked the government website and it has the following:

• be over 21
    • be qualified to drive the type of vehicle you want to learn in, eg they must have a manual car licence if they’re supervising you in a manual car
    • have had their full driving licence for 3 years

I’m over 21, qualified to drive a manual and had my drivers licence for over 3 years. However, some website I’ve seen state that I would have needed to have had my manual licence for 3 years before I can accompany them. From what I’m aware, an automatic licence is a full licence only with restrictions, so by the bullet points above I’m able to accompany them even though I’ve only been legally able to drive manual transmission for nearly 3 months? Could anybody shed any light on this at all?
    You need to have held a full manual licence for 3 years! An automatic licence does not count whether its full or not!

If you are caught:
    1)your insurance will be invalid.
    2) you and your learner could be banned from driving
    3) you will be arrested for allowing an unqualified driver to drive without supervision of a fully qualified driver for that category of the vehicle.
    4) your learner will also be arrested for the above reasons.
    5) you will each get lots of points on your licences.

Do you think qualified car drivers can teach people to drive an articulated lorry just because they have a full car licence? No of course not, they would have to hold a full lorry licence for 3 years. Same thing.

ReputationRep:
    It does sound to me like you would need to have held a manual licence for three years and therefore you're unable to supervise, though I would ring the DVLA for clarification.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You haven't had a full licence for three years though? Because until recently you haven't been allowed to drive manuals? You've had an automatic license not a full licence

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.