Turn on thread page Beta

Nausea After Exercise? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 16 year old girl, I really enjoy sport, and I'd like to gradually improve my fitness. The problem is, after cardio/running etc. I always feel incredibly nauseous and it really puts me off this kind of exercise and makes it difficult. Normally I do team sports and dance and riding, and these are fine, but it's really bad after jogging/running which I'd like to get better at. It's really annoying because I want to progress but I feel like this is really holding me back, any tips?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wimsett)
    I'm a 16 year old girl, I really enjoy sport, and I'd like to gradually improve my fitness. The problem is, after cardio/running etc. I always feel incredibly nauseous and it really puts me off this kind of exercise and makes it difficult. Normally I do team sports and dance and riding, and these are fine, but it's really bad after jogging/running which I'd like to get better at. It's really annoying because I want to progress but I feel like this is really holding me back, any tips?

Cheers
    try not to eat 2 hours before running

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The gains kinggg)
    try not to eat 2 hours before running
    I've thought I might start running in the early morning anyway, so this would be appropriate, thanks

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    It is great you started exercising and you shouldn't give up!

It is normal you feel nauseated as your body isn't used to run. Probably the running motion has that effect in you.
    You should eat before going to run as your body will need the fuel, or else instead of nausea, you will just faint.

Let your body get used to it and you will see you will get better and eat something light (rich in carbon hydrates but not heavy that can take long to digest - my favorite is a cereal bar) 15-20 minutes before running.

I played professional football and after any injury when I came back to run my body (especially my stomach) didn't like it so much, but eventually it got used to!

Happy running!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCampos)
    It is great you started exercising and you shouldn't give up!

It is normal you feel nauseated as your body isn't used to run. Probably the running motion has that effect in you.
    You should eat before going to run as your body will need the fuel, or else instead of nausea, you will just faint.

Let your body get used to it and you will see you will get better and eat something light (rich in carbon hydrates but not heavy that can take long to digest - my favorite is a cereal bar) 15-20 minutes before running.

I played professional football and after any injury when I came back to run my body (especially my stomach) didn't like it so much, but eventually it got used to!

Happy running!
    Thanks for the response, but ok so I'm getting mixed messages about the eating thing now haha. But I'll try the cereal bars. And ok I'll gradually increase the intensity then as i get more used to it.
    At the moment I'm also having to take relatively frequent brakes, this is probably due to a lack of fitness and experience but is this something that will also improve with time?
    Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wimsett)
    Thanks for the response, but ok so I'm getting mixed messages about the eating thing now haha. But I'll try the cereal bars. And ok I'll gradually increase the intensity then as i get more used to it.
    At the moment I'm also having to take relatively frequent brakes, this is probably due to a lack of fitness and experience but is this something that will also improve with time?
    Thanks for the help
    Yes yes you should.

In the first weeks you have to run few minutes and walk other few minutes.
    Example. Run 5 minutes, walk 2 minutes then run 7 minutes, walk 3 minutes.
    This will gradually increase your cardiovascular capacity.

Another tip I can give you is to swim. If you swim you will increase your lung capacity while staying away from injuries.

Remember to always eat something light before exercise or else your body will not have enough energy or will to exercise, and after, eat something with protein to heal the broken muscle fibers. If you are feeling cramps while or after running try eating more bananas during the day. The potassium will help with that!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I always feel a bit nauseous after coming back from the gym, not to the point that I actually feel like I AM going to be sick most of the time, but I definitely can't stomach any food apart from a shake for a good hour or two.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You need to id possible causes and then just go through them one by one.

Too much food, not enough food.
    Going too hard.
    Drinking too mich water, not drinking enough.
    Running out of electrolutes if you are going hard and over an hour.

You need to pace yourself and listen to your body. If you start to feel faint then slow down and rest, pace it till you build up stamina. Sip water and if needed have some food like a banana just before.

ReputationRep:
    you'll probably just get used to it... I always feel a bit nauseated for about 30 - 60 mins after exercise, I'm just used to it, I know it will settle down so I just use that time to take a shower and sort myself a decent meal

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.