Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Most universities I've seen have lectures ending at 6pm on some days. I think this should be made much earlier because university is for independent learning so why do they want to keep us until 6, that just makes it so much harder to organize your day because lectures end at different times on different days. The surprising thing is that the only universities I've found that have lectures ending early every day (12 or 1 o'clock) are Cambridge and Oxford. So it's not just that they take in the best, give them extra tutorials and get to live in beautiful colleges, but they also get to have the whole day free to organize their time how they want. I can't help but feel this is really unfair and that other universities should start emulating these two beacons of knowledge by also making lectures end early. What do you think? Should universities stop treating study like a job and push back lecture times?

ReputationRep:
    for the years you go to university that is essentially 'your job' they don't call it full time for nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jawsontheflooor)
    for the years you go to university that is essentially 'your job' they don't call it full time for nothing
    Studying is different from being in lectures... (which is probably why Oxbridge don't make you sit in lectures until 6)

ReputationRep:
    In zero universities are all of the hours in between filled with lectures. Use them. When the lectures are doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    You should start a petition.

What?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by WCF)
    Most universities I've seen have lectures ending at 6pm on some days. I think this should be made much earlier because university is for independent learning so why do they want to keep us until 6, that just makes it so much harder to organize your day because lectures end at different times on different days. The surprising thing is that the only universities I've found that have lectures ending early every day (12 or 1 o'clock) are Cambridge and Oxford. So it's not just that they take in the best, give them extra tutorials and get to live in beautiful colleges, but they also get to have the whole day free to organize their time how they want. I can't help but feel this is really unfair and that other universities should start emulating these two beacons of knowledge by also making lectures end early. What do you think? Should universities stop treating study like a job and push back lecture times?
    This definitely isn't the case for all courses (or indeed most courses, probably), I've had lectures that end at 5.

ReputationRep:
    Cry me a river.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WCF)
    As a soon to be a Cambridge grad, I have categorically hated early 9am starts. I work at night so because it suits you doesn't mean it suit others. For the record, I've also had several lectures past 4pm.

I actually prefer evening and late afternoon lectures so there you go.

Also if you hate them so much, there's no compulsion to go. Lots of people actually skip lectures to do other things. I've had several job interviews this year which meant I was in London.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If a university wishes to take in (x)students in total, each to have( b) lectures in a week, and it only has (y) lecture theatres, each available (a) hours a day with seats for (z) in each, the only way not to use them throughout the full day is to either build more lecture theatres or take fewer students.

If xb> 5ayz then what is the choice?

I suppose lectures on Saturdays and Sundays would also help, increase 5 to 7, but doubt that would be popular with students and staff.

Aplogies if the maths is possibly incorrect, but you will get the drift, it is down to resources/numbers.

ReputationRep:
    I hate 9am lectures, so the later the better..within reason

ReputationRep:
    I skipped all my lectures for 1 term because they don't take attendance.

Still on track for a 2:1 - 1st though

ReputationRep:
    Oh man, if you cannot organise your life around the few hours a week you spend in lectures, the real world is going to hit you like a ton of bricks. Grow up and get a diary so you can plan your time.

Source: ran a business, worked two jobs, completed an NVQ and still saw friends and family, ate and cleaned my house, without having a breakdown.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Boo hoo. Just organise yourself to get to the lecture or not. I might feel a bit annoyed if it was constant 9am and then 6pm, but you can go home, to the library., shopping. I hared 9am starts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WCF)
    Timetabling constraints?

ReputationRep:
    different people like working at different times, plenty of people think 9am lectures are silly as well
    very few people are actually in all day, they will just have a few hours dotted here and there, just organise your day around them

ReputationRep:
    6 pm was eairly for my course it was common for my lectures to finish at 7 or even 8 pm.

A normal working day in many sectors is 9-6, so no, nothing wrong with finishing at 6. Real life hits you like a tonne of bricks as it is without making uni even less like 'normal life'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.