Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    1. I have a few questions: halogenoalkane nucleophilic substitution with OH- 1.Why do primary halogenoalkanes follow sn2 mechanism and not sn1?

2. Why does sn1 occur in tertiary halogenoalkane and not sn2?

3. What mechanism occurs in secondary halogenoalkanes and why?

Thanks a lot. I am studying for edexcel and i couldnt find the exact info anywhere( perhaps because i didnot scan every page)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebrahmabull)
    1. I have a few questions: halogenoalkane nucleophilic substitution with OH- 1.Why do primary halogenoalkanes follow sn2 mechanism and not sn1?

2. Why does sn1 occur in tertiary halogenoalkane and not sn2?

3. What mechanism occurs in secondary halogenoalkanes and why?

Thanks a lot. I am studying for edexcel and i couldnt find the exact info anywhere( perhaps because i didnot scan every page)
    Hopefully this will help you!

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/mechanism...ub/whatis.html

ReputationRep:
    1) primary haloalkanes could not go down Sn1 as
    - the primary carbocation would be too unstable to be formed. The carbocation is electron deficient but there are not enough carbons for a positive inductive effect to stabilise the charge on the cation
    - therefore the first step has a very high activation energy as the formation of the carbocation is very energetically unfavourable. So no matter how long you wait the halogenoalkane won't ionise in the first place.
    - finally steric hindrance in primary halogenoalkanes is less, which allows the formation of the transition state.

2) tertiary haloalkanes go through Sn2 for basically all the opposite reasons.
    - due to the large alkyl groups attached to the main carbon, steric hindrance is great. The alkyl groups 'block' the OH from attacking the back of the carbon, preventing the formation of the transition state.
    - the tertiary carbocation is relatively stable, as the surrounding alkyl groups have a positive inductive effect on the positive carbon, donating their electron density to stabilise the charge. Therefore the first ionisation step has a relatively low activation energy (though the step is still slow, as it is still not very favourable).

3) secondary halogenoalkanes can go by either Sn1 or Sn2, depending on the halogenoalkane. However Sn1 will occur very, very slowly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ♥Samantha♥)
    1) primary haloalkanes could not go down Sn1 as
    - the primary carbocation would be too unstable to be formed. The carbocation is electron deficient but there are not enough carbons for a positive inductive effect to stabilise the charge on the cation
    - therefore the first step has a very high activation energy as the formation of the carbocation is very energetically unfavourable. So no matter how long you wait the halogenoalkane won't ionise in the first place.
    - finally steric hindrance in primary halogenoalkanes is less, which allows the formation of the transition state.

2) tertiary haloalkanes go through Sn2 for basically all the opposite reasons.
    - due to the large alkyl groups attached to the main carbon, steric hindrance is great. The alkyl groups 'block' the OH from attacking the back of the carbon, preventing the formation of the transition state.
    - the tertiary carbocation is relatively stable, as the surrounding alkyl groups have a positive inductive effect on the positive carbon, donating their electron density to stabilise the charge. Therefore the first ionisation step has a relatively low activation energy (though the step is still slow, as it is still not very favourable).

3) secondary halogenoalkanes can go by either Sn1 or Sn2, depending on the halogenoalkane. However Sn1 will occur very, very slowly.
    You forgot about solvent effects.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.