Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

taking a full English A-level in one year as a private candidate Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My story is quite long and complicated, so I'm not going to post it here, but...

I'm a mature student from the EU and I'm going to apply to Cambridge and UCL to study English. I have a level 3 qualification from my former high school, but not in English literature, so it's the only A-level I need. I've been contacting British councils and international schools in neighbouring countries (our British Council is not really helpful and our international schools don't take private candidates) and managed to find a centre where I'll be able to take the exam next summer. I'm preparing for it with the help of a tutor and lots of wider reading. Is there anyone here who took/is thinking of taking and English A-level privately for whatever reason? If so, how are you preparing for it? How are you going to do the coursework? If you haven't taken English at school, are you thinking of taking the AS level exam too, or just the A-level?

It goes without saying that I'm working as hard as I possibly can, which is easy when you're doing what you love.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorababy1995)
    I'm a mature student from the EU and I'm going to apply to Cambridge and UCL to study English. I have a level 3 qualification from my former high school, but not in English literature, so it's the only A-level I need. I've been contacting British councils and international schools in neighbouring countries (our British Council is not really helpful and our international schools don't take private candidates) and managed to find a centre where I'll be able to take the exam next summer.How are you going to do the coursework? If you haven't taken English at school, are you thinking of taking the AS level exam too, or just the A-level?Thanks!
    Have you asked if Cambridge would consider you as a serious candidate with only 1 A level? I'd talk to them before doing this.

Which exam board are you going to study with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    Have you asked if Cambridge would consider you as a serious candidate with only 1 A level? I'd talk to them before doing this.

Which exam board are you going to study with?

Either CIE or Edexcel, depending on which centre I will choose to take the exam at. (I got two positive replies)

ReputationRep:
    Read this:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post65282257

I've only just found out that one of the centres offers Edexcel exams, not CIE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorababy1995)
    Either CIE or Edexcel, depending on which centre I will choose to take the exam at. (I got two positive replies)
    I don't know much about CIE - it's an international exam board so not one much used in England as its domestic equivalent (OCR) is used instead. With Edexcel there may be a problem with getting the coursework marked - in general this has to be done by the entering centre and it is very hard to find a centre willing to do this in the UK. Here we get round it by using the AQA board as they are wiling to mark external candidates' work but they don't really operate abroad. I'd try asking the possible centres how they'd deal with this before you pick one as it could be a deal breaker.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.