The Student Room Group

Need advice asap about maths edexcel

I recently sat my non-calculator maths exam and completely flopped it. I walked feeing like I was going to fail it and only got round 60% right (I cried straight after). I am an A grade student and have worked hard to move from a B to an A. is it possible for me to improve on the calculator exam and how do I do this?. thank you so much for reading this :smile:
The grade boundary for an A is generally between 125-136. Let's say its the highest of 136, which is unlikely that it is because that exam was hard and the grade boundaries would probably be low. So if you got 60/100, you would need to get 76 on the calculator paper. That's definitely possible. My teacher has made a list of things that may come up on calculator because they weren't on non- calculator. For example: histograms; different types of plotting graphs; simultaneous equations; trial and improvement; transformation of graphs; upper and lower bounds; bearings; trig; plans and elevations etc. I would revise them all well, I would aim for 70% minimum for the calculator in order to get the A, and I'm thinking that the grade bounderies will hopefully be low. Don't worry about it, revise!
Hope this helps!
I have the exact same problem except my target grade is an A* for maths and on that non calc i scored just over 70. I desperately wanted an A* but that means I'm going to have to score around 90+ on the calculator to get it... which is virtually impossible.
Reply 3
Exact same position, I think it's silly marks that people lose in an exam situation. I go about 68-75 on the first paper which mean to get my A* I have to get 90+.

Your in a better position, with work over this half term I know you wil be able to score 80+ on the calculator.:smile:
Good luck
Reply 4
Don't mean to sound rude here - but I'm so happy to hear about this, because I'm in the exact same position as you lot! ☹️ I've worked so hard to get from a B grade to an A, and I desperately want an A grade, I'm just hoping so badly I can get enough marks on paper 2 to achieve an A grade. Good luck to all of you, hopefully we'll all get the grades we want!
How do you think you did? 60 or more?
thanks i hope so!
I hope the grade bounderies are low for everyones sake.

:colondollar:
I did IGCSE edexcel and have same issue :frown: Literally predicting half the first paper wrong but all my weak topics came up, thus hoping second paper I can improve
Reply 9
Original post by L0st45
Don't mean to sound rude here - but I'm so happy to hear about this, because I'm in the exact same position as you lot! ☹️ I've worked so hard to get from a B grade to an A, and I desperately want an A grade, I'm just hoping so badly I can get enough marks on paper 2 to achieve an A grade. Good luck to all of you, hopefully we'll all get the grades we want!

How many marks do you think you got on paper 1?
Original post by thefuturemedic
I recently sat my non-calculator maths exam and completely flopped it. I walked feeing like I was going to fail it and only got round 60% right (I cried straight after). I am an A grade student and have worked hard to move from a B to an A. is it possible for me to improve on the calculator exam and how do I do this?. thank you so much for reading this :smile:

Original post by Justsomestudent1
I have the exact same problem except my target grade is an A* for maths and on that non calc i scored just over 70. I desperately wanted an A* but that means I'm going to have to score around 90+ on the calculator to get it... which is virtually impossible.

Original post by Rajive
Exact same position, I think it's silly marks that people lose in an exam situation. I go about 68-75 on the first paper which mean to get my A* I have to get 90+.

Your in a better position, with work over this half term I know you wil be able to score 80+ on the calculator.:smile:
Good luck

Original post by L0st45

Original post by JamieTheb
I did IGCSE edexcel and have same issue :frown: Literally predicting half the first paper wrong but all my weak topics came up, thus hoping second paper I can improve

It's not impossible to score > 90%! Since the calculator paper is coming up, you no longer need to make silly mistakes due to your mental maths or whatever, and instead, you can all spend your time this half term working on your skills/methods for the big questions instead :h:
I didn't sit the edexcel paper, but if this paper was really hard, then the chances are that the calculator paper should be easier :smile:
Don't give up - just keep working on the difficult skills, such as 3D pythagoras etc and you should all do fine :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Rajive
How many marks do you think you got on paper 1?

How do you think you did? 60 or more?

I got somewhere between 67 to 70 marks, dependent on how lenient the examiner marking my paper will be.
(edited 7 years ago)

I got 40% imagine how i felt, i need 70 marks for a B Grade..
Your lucky.

Quick Reply

Latest