Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I think I'm going to get 4A*s 5A's and 2B(maybe only one B) in my gcses. I think I want to study Biology, chemistry, english literature and Theology at a level. Is my profile strong enough for ucl, leeds and Manchester(grades wise)?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by thefuturemedic)
    Hi I think I'm going to get 4A*s 5A's and 2B(maybe only one B) in my gcses. I think I want to study Biology, chemistry, english literature and Theology at a level. Is my profile strong enough for ucl, leeds and Manchester(grades wise)?
    Firstly the GCSE grades are pretty good for medicine if you can achieve! (if you dont mind could you let me know what the B's will be in as that may make a difference if they are in core subjects such as english, maths or science). Fingers crossed you can get there, and massive luck in your exams.

Your Alevels are nice varied choices, and as long as you can get AAA in bio, chem and one other you will be fine.

as for the medical schools your looking at:
    manchester: requires 6A/A* grades at GCSE, a strong work experienced and voluntary work portfolio and a strong UKCAT score.
    Leeds: requires a strong GCSE or AS performance (pretty sure they choose the better one of the two, but considering you may not take AS levels due to the reforms that may mean your GCSEs are looked at). Leeds require a strong BMAT score along with good relevant work experience.
    UCL: require strong A2 (A*AA) and AS grades, not to fussy on GCSEs but like to see you did well. again like leeds they place a lot of emphasis on the BMAT score for interview.

As you can see from the above three choices you made for med schools at this stage, Grades dont just form your application, it is really formed of 3 parts which vary in the way they are rated and their importance in terms of pre-interview selection at interview:
    - Grades: GCSE, AS and A2 grades. some med schools also factor in the EPQ. Bio and chem are normally required to A2 level.
    - Entrance exam: the majority of medical schools look at the UKCAT aptitude score, but some do use the more formal science based BMAT.
    - extracurricular: med schools like to see you have undertaken some relevant work experience and voluntary work so you can reflect on your experiences. They also like to see that you love to get involved in different things outside of school/college and that you can be a leader and take responsibility.

That is kind of the crash course to a med school application, and I would encourage you have a look into work experience in your summer.
    as for your med school choices and your chances, until you sit your entrance exams and get your results nobody will really know. here are some words of wisdom which I wished I had listened to when I was your age applying:

- every medical school gets you the same degree in the end, dont get to caught up in prestige or go to a uni just because you love it. Medicine is flooded with often 3/4 times the applicants per place at each school every year, so make sure you choose where you want to go wisely and make sure you have a strong chance at an interview.
    - any BMAT university is risky because the BMAT is sat after UCAS is sent off, so it means unlike the UKCAT you will not know your score prior to applying (so your applying blind). The best thing to do is ensure there are no more than 2 risky choices on your application, and hence no more than 2 BMAT universities just in case it doesnt go to plan.
    - Try and get some work experienced or voluntary work in a healthcare setting (hospital wards, nursery, care home, community care etc.) as this will really boost your application, and the longer you do it for the more commitment you show. this will be of great value to you also in developing much needed skills. You will thank me if you start early trust me, so many applicants rush to get work experience during their AS year, so hopefully you will be able to get something over the summer.

I hope this was of help to you, If you have any further questions feel free to ask! good luck in your future exams!

ReputationRep:
    thank you for your advice, yes the B may be in Maths (I hope not). Although I would love to go to UCL I think my grades maybe more compatible with Manchester. Do you mind asking where you went and what universities you could recommend.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by thefuturemedic)
    thank you for your advice, yes the B may be in Maths (I hope not). Although I would love to go to UCL I think my grades maybe more compatible with Manchester. Do you mind asking where you went and what universities you could recommend.
    No I dont mind at all.
    I am currently coming to the end of first year (literally I finish on thursday) at cardiff university. I got 9A* 1A at GCSE. AAAB at AS (bio,chem, geog and maths respectively) dropped maths and got A*AA at A2 (bio, chem and geog respectively). I would go into all my work experience if you would like to know just let me know.

Cardiff is massively GCSE heavy and if you achieve those GCSE grades sadly you wouldn't make it to interview.
    Like I said before keep your options open, UCL is probably one of the most competitive medical schools which wants the highest grade requirements bar Cambridge. You might love UCL now but you would love even more to be at med school (trust me) so keep your options open, dont waste an application just because you love the school, if you have no chance at getting in that isnt going to change because you love it, so keep it in mind when your applying with your grades and work experience. In terms of recommendations now, with no work experience, no actual concrete grades or entrance exam score I have no idea sorry, this is something you will be more likely to get a better answer on after results day next year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.