Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Speciez and myself were discussing the possibility of introducing some light format for thread titling on the D+D forum. this would be something like a general topic header and then the 'actual title'. for instance to take some of the current threads,

US politics - America and Imperial Overstretch?
    US politics - Is Michael Moore too biased?
    Race- Is there a biological basis for race and racial differences?
    Religion -
    Morality/Ethics..-
    Europe/EU -

etc.

if we decide upon fixed topic headers, this allows for easier browsing and searching. i also think the sense of order would also improve the quality of posting.

id be interested to hear what ppl think, especially those who post reguarly.

vienna.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    Speciez and myself were discussing the possibility of introducing some light format for thread titling on the D+D forum. this would be something like a general topic header and then the 'actual title'. for instance to take some of the current threads,

US politics - America and Imperial Overstretch?
    US politics - Is Michael Moore too biased?
    Race- Is there a biological basis for race and racial differences?
    Religion -
    Morality/Ethics..-
    Europe/EU -

etc.

if we decide upon fixed topic headers, this allows for easier browsing and searching. i also think the sense of order would also improve the quality of posting.

id be interested to hear what ppl think, especially those who post reguarly.

vienna.
    Im up for it, though I dont see why we necessarily will have to have fixed general topics. Why dont we just all agree on the format:

[general topic] - [specific topic] - [ultra specific topic] ... etc (Ok I realise you will rarely use mor than one specifier, but in case you do ...)

If you do want to have a fixed sets of general topics you may sugest to d that you chose it from a rolldown menue.

ReputationRep:
    it would also help to understand the general context of the thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Im up for it, though I dont see why we necessarily will have to have fixed general topics. Why dont we just all agree on the format:

[general topic] - [specific topic] - [ultra specific topic] ... etc (Ok I realise you will rarely use mor than one specifier, but in case you do ...)

If you do want to have a fixed sets of general topics you may sugest to d that you chose it from a rolldown menue.
    the problem with that is you get variations on the same thing..ie USA, America, US politics, americans, bush...Etc so its adding another layer of confusion.

ReputationRep:
    the problem with that is you get variations on the same thing..ie USA, America, US politics, americans, bush...Etc so its adding another layer of confusion.
    I honestly dont think it is so confusing. Besides if everyone agree on this board then the borad is rather pointless. Thus the only way to set a unified standard would be for "d" to implement it, but that would sort of be silly cus you cannot really run to him and ask for a new topic all teh time...

ReputationRep:
    This is an excellent idea.

ReputationRep:
    A good idea, let us hope that it doesn't get ignored by the majority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    A good idea, let us hope that it doesn't get ignored by the majority.
    thanks for the support. that seems to be the question now, how could one introduce it with everyones acceptance?

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand - how would it work? Ivve read the last few threads a few times and dont understand what is being proposed

ReputationRep:
    fantastic idea wrt enhanced search facilities, but i thnk it will be difficult to implement unless forced, for example by having to select a title from a preordained list, one of which could by OTHER before one can post a new thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    I dont understand - how would it work? Ivve read the last few threads a few times and dont understand what is being proposed
    Basically whenever somebody posts a new thread there are several overral categories into which they may put it by prefixing the title with, for example, 'Politics' or 'Religion' thus making the forum easier to navigate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Basically whenever somebody posts a new thread there are several overral categories into which they may put it by prefixing the title with, for example, 'Politics' or 'Religion' thus making the forum easier to navigate.
    that is the general idea yes.

ReputationRep:
    that is the general idea yes.
    And a very good idea aswell. It definately would make browsing through easier as the topic doesn't always agree with the content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    okilydokily...sounds good!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't see any downside to anything that can be done to improve the sense of order here

ReputationRep:
    If anyone does have an problems we would also appreciate it if members told us about them here.

ReputationRep:
    Would it not be simpler to break it up the way the uni forums are so that there is a subforum for all the major topics and one for those topics that don't really fit in one of the established subforums?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Would it not be simpler to break it up the way the uni forums are so that there is a subforum for all the major topics and one for those topics that don't really fit in one of the established subforums?
    i dont believe that sub-forums are necessary for the amount of posting we get and, as far as im aware, wouldnt attain much support.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    The only downside I can see is in the fact that a lot of threads in here aren't started by regulars...and it's possible not everyone would know the rules.

What would be the result if a newbie posted an incorrectly titled thread? Would the mods have to be brought in to update the thread title or would the thread just be ignored by the regulars? Without some sort of "punishment" I can't imagine that all threads will follow the naming conventions (as shown by expressions much ignored THINK campaign to get threads posted in the right places)...and a choice between more work for the mods or making this forum even clique-ier isn't a good choice...

ReputationRep:
    Of course there wil be threads started which dont conform to the above conventions though i for one would not ignore them for this. Even if only the regulars were to title their threads as weve stated it would make the forum a lot easier to read through.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.