Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    The only downside I can see is in the fact that a lot of threads in here aren't started by regulars...and it's possible not everyone would know the rules.

What would be the result if a newbie posted an incorrectly titled thread? Would the mods have to be brought in to update the thread title or would the thread just be ignored by the regulars? Without some sort of "punishment" I can't imagine that all threads will follow the naming conventions (as shown by expressions much ignored THINK campaign to get threads posted in the right places)...and a choice between more work for the mods or making this forum even clique-ier isn't a good choice...
    theres nothing that can be done. you can only hope newbies read the stickies and follow what others have done. personally im unclear as to why a thread starter cant edit the title. as for now renaming of thread titles would be a job for mods. these were going to be proposals put to them after a consensus was taken from this thread.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by vienna95)
    personally im unclear as to why a thread starter cant edit the title.
    Seems to be a bug - you can rename the title of the first post but it doesn't affect the thread title itself....

ReputationRep:
    Speciez and myself were discussing the possibility of introducing some light format for thread titling on the D+D forum. this would be something like a general topic header and then the 'actual title'. for instance to take some of the current threads,

US politics - America and Imperial Overstretch?
    US politics - Is Michael Moore too biased?
    Race- Is there a biological basis for race and racial differences?
    Religion -
    Morality/Ethics..-
    Europe/EU -

etc.

if we decide upon fixed topic headers, this allows for easier browsing and searching. i also think the sense of order would also improve the quality of posting.

id be interested to hear what ppl think, especially those who post reguarly.

vienna.

Why the hell arent you a MOD?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KOH)
    Why the hell arent you a MOD?
    I think quite a few people would object as Vienna does have the tendancy to be able to bulid up large amounts of resentment, completely unfounded of course

ReputationRep:
    *gobsmacked*
    yes quite a revelation that, maybe i am the modern day moses :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    yes quite a revelation that, maybe i am the modern day moses :cool:
    Just don't part that particular sea a second time my friend, or you'll be for it :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Seems to be a bug - you can rename the title of the first post but it doesn't affect the thread title itself....
    That's because only mods can rename threads. That's how they do it too, I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    I think quite a few people would object as Vienna does have the tendancy to be able to bulid up large amounts of resentment, completely unfounded of course
    Also, Vienna has way of arguing in a rather agressive tone (eaven though she often posts valid points).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Also, Vienna has way of arguing in a rather agressive tone (eaven though she often posts valid points).
    i prefer 'direct'.

ReputationRep:
    sounds like a good idea: will make it much easier to brouse though the topics on the forum

and the sub-forum option that was suggested deffo. isn't the way to go: it would just make browsing harder, not easier. alongside the facct that, as vienna said, there aren't frequent enough posts for it...

also, if a thread was to be possibly placed in more than one category, sub-forums would make posting much harder. whereas, the preordaned heading idea would allow for some flexibility in this eventuality...

ReputationRep:
    Speciez and myself were discussing the possibility of introducing some light format for thread titling on the D+D forum. this would be something like a general topic header and then the 'actual title'. for instance to take some of the current threads,

Religion -
    Morality/Ethics..-
    Europe/EU -

etc.

if we decide upon fixed topic headers, this allows for easier browsing and searching. i also think the sense of order would also improve the quality of posting.

vienna.
    By all means, I'm up for it. Give it a go. Sounds like a good idea for me. And I agree, it WOULD make for easier browsing.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to those people who have made an effort with the thread titles of late. NDGAARONDI, pkonline etc.

ReputationRep:
    Are we gonna do this then?

I like the idea of some subforums.

There are some "core" issues which seem to come up over and over and over again. So why not?

MODS??

Let's do it!

ReputationRep:

Religion -
    Morality/Ethics..-
    Europe/EU -

etc.

vienna.
    Yeh be ok, as long as we can still choose our own category if not in the fixed list.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree, because discussions would be too centred towards the discussion title.

Thread titles can help to introduce a new format to the overall discussion. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I'm up for the new idea Vienna!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good plan to me, but the poster should decide on what heading to put I think.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.