Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need a New Laptop/PC for Gaming, 1 Year of University Left <£700 Budget Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've had my Dell XPS 15 for around 5 years now, I got it reduced from ~£1000 to £550 but its showing signs of failing and in need of a replacement.

In an ideal world I'd get a gaming desktop however I've got 1 more year of university and my room at home isnt really desktop friendly, plus I would need to get a monitor and keyboard.

I've been looking at cheapish gaming laptops and saw http://www.ebuyer.com/737456-msi-gl6...9s7-16j612-065

any idea if this is a good deal/would it play newish games such as overwatch for the next 2-3 years maybe?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You need to look at some reviews but imo a 940 is not going to be powerful enough for you. They do higher specced versions.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/la...aptop-3640162/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You need to look at some reviews but imo a 940 is not going to be powerful enough for you. They do higher specced versions.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/la...aptop-3640162/
    Really tempted just to buy a gaming desktop, reckon I could get a decent one for like £650?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by physicsphysics91)
    Really tempted just to buy a gaming desktop, reckon I could get a decent one for like £650?
    Well you are going to get better than a laptop. Yes, just make your own.
    As you are in 3rd year then you know how much you need portability and you cna get round that by just being better organised. You could also use a chromebook or a tablet for portable.

Consider 2nd hand or use something like partpicker or toms hardware for suggested, builds. Loads of other sites. You might want to try and build a micro pc if space is that important for you. Obviously the advantage is more power per £ and upgradeability.

ReputationRep:
    Just build one of your own. Buy the parts online research the better ones in your budget and build one.

Youtube has a ton of awesome tutorials. Also, you will learn something new!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Well you are going to get better than a laptop. Yes, just make your own.
    As you are in 3rd year then you know how much you need portability and you cna get round that by just being better organised. You could also use a chromebook or a tablet for portable.

Consider 2nd hand or use something like partpicker or toms hardware for suggested, builds. Loads of other sites. You might want to try and build a micro pc if space is that important for you. Obviously the advantage is more power per £ and upgradeability.
    I'm graduating, but I have a PGCE year next year. Not sure if I'll need a laptop, if so it would pretty much just be for word (if that). I never really used my laptop as a laptop during my degree.

ReputationRep:
    any idea if this is a good deal/would it play newish games such as overwatch for the next 2-3 years maybe?
    It's worth noting that the graphics card is the single most important determinant of performance, so you may wish to prioritise your search based on getting the best possible card for your buck, particularly if you're going for laptops. It may also be worth looking at refurbished Grade A1 laptops, which have been opened but never used (due to a cancelled delivery, or being used for advertising), and usually come both with full warranties and accessories, but with small price reductions compared to the brand new models.

I've been looking at Medion's higher end stuff - perhaps [this] would be a decent choice?

Otherwise, it may be worth keeping an eye out on Dell's Factory Outlet - these are refurbished laptops or ones that were left surplus in stock, and tend to be available at lower prices than they would have been upon launch: [link2]

LaptopsDirect has some pretty great deals as well - this laptop practically has your name on it [link3]

ReputationRep:
    I got my one for £400 on eBay

Runs like a savage bear (good)

£650 too much
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I'm graduating, but I have a PGCE year next year. Not sure if I'll need a laptop, if so it would pretty much just be for word (if that). I never really used my laptop as a laptop during my degree.
    Build your own, its really easy.
    It will last longer than a laptop because you can replace failing components, which tend to be more robust anyway.
    Once you build one then you will always build them.

Research is important and getting an idea of what components you need. Toms Hardware or kitguru are prety good starts.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.