Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do double standards exist in this situation and what am i supposed to do? Watch

How come my boyfriend swears in everyday talk yet if i do he doesnt like it and says im a 'foul mouthed *****'? Its the same with my dad, when talking he will be like f this and f that but if i do the same he will say its disgusting and 'not nice comming from a daughter'.

Also when discussing something my boyfriend says I 'answer back' when im only giving my point of view in a calm way. He also goes on about the way i walk he says im not feminine and walk from side to side i tell him thats how he walks and he says 'im a man' you walk like one.

I feel like its all to do with me being female im meant to be 'meek and gentle' or something but i didnt ask to be female its ****, id much rather have been male. Just wanted opinions/input :/.

Dump his ass. I'd never put up with someone like that lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    How come my boyfriend swears in everyday talk yet if i do he doesnt like it and says im a 'foul mouthed *****'? Its the same with my dad, when talking he will be like f this and f that but if i do the same he will say its disgusting and 'not nice comming from a daughter'.

Also when discussing something my boyfriend says I 'answer back' when im only giving my point of view in a calm way. He also goes on about the way i walk he says im not feminine and walk from side to side i tell him thats how he walks and he says 'im a man' you walk like one.

I feel like its all to do with me being female im meant to be 'meek and gentle' or something but i didnt ask to be female its ****, id much rather have been male. Just wanted opinions/input :/.
    What do you want out of this situation? Do you want your boyfriend or dad to change? Do you want to find someone else who will be more accepting of you?

No-one can tell you what you're supposed to do if you don't know what you want.

Also there will always be double standards in any personal relationship since each person wants and can give different things to/from each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Your boyfriend is an ******** with abusive tendencies. Lose him and find someone who doesn't rely on lazy gender stereotyping or try to control you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Your boyfriend is an ******** with abusive tendencies. Lose him and find someone who doesn't rely on lazy gender stereotyping or try to control you.
    there are serious red flags here , i agree with Helenia

and finally i'm not PRSOM for Helenia either !

ReputationRep:
    He kind of sounds like a ****. I don't understand relationships which don't involve swearing, both I and my gf swear at each other all the time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.