Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Two small rings, A and B, each of mass 2m, are threaded on a rough horizontal pole. The
    coefficient of friction between each ring and the pole is µ. The rings are attached to the ends of
    a light inextensible string. A smooth ring C, of mass 3m, is threaded on the string and hangs in
    equilibrium below the pole. The rings A and B are in limiting equilibrium on the pole, with
    BAC = ABC = theta, where tan theta = 3/4

(a) Show that the tension in the string is 5/2 mg. done.

(b) Find the value of µ.

There has been a thread on this before but it was a long time ago. Basically I don't understand why tension is acting upward when you consider C. However when considering particles A and B the tension acts downward same direction as where the weight acts. Thanks. Name:  1464520615085434130295.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  258.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    Two small rings, A and B, each of mass 2m, are threaded on a rough horizontal pole. The
    coefficient of friction between each ring and the pole is µ. The rings are attached to the ends of
    a light inextensible string. A smooth ring C, of mass 3m, is threaded on the string and hangs in
    equilibrium below the pole. The rings A and B are in limiting equilibrium on the pole, with

(b) Find the value of µ.

Is tension acting upwards for C because the force of
    There has been a thread on this before but it was a long time ago. Basically I don't understand why tension is acting upward when you consider C. However when considering particles A and B the tension acts downward same direction as where the weight acts. Thanks. Name:  1464520615085434130295.jpg
    didn't finish your sentence eh? xD

I'm not too sure maybe because if there was no tension opposing the weight from particles A and B the string would just snap since there's no opposing force?

Maybe Zacken can provide and answer
    • Study Helper

Study Helper

(b) Find the value of µ.

What do you mean by upwards and downwards here?

Do you mean vertically up and down, or along the string, in a general upwards/downwards direction with a horizontal component.

I.e. What's the actual issue for you? The fact that it's up at the centre and down at the ends, or the fact that its "vertical"?

ReputationRep:
    x
    hey! coconut

i just foind this website which explains this really well, it's a few comments down and he has quite a few diagrams to explain where the tension goes
    http://physics.stackexchange.com/que...-tension-force

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    What do you mean by upwards and downwards here?

Do you mean vertically up and down, or along the string, in a general upwards/downwards direction with a horizontal component.

I.e. What's the actual issue for you? The fact that it's up at the centre and down at the ends, or the fact that its "vertical"?
    Hi, the problem for me is that when considering particle A or B, I thought that tension would be acting up since the tension is acting upward for c. However, tension acts downward for AB.

ReputationRep:

(b) Find the value of µ.

I got µ=4/7. Is that correct?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Hi, the problem for me is that when considering particle A or B, I thought that tension would be acting up since the tension is acting upward for c. However, tension acts downward for AB.
    OK, so your problem is really about how tension in a string acts.

It can be summed up in "tension acts towards the body of the string".

So, at the ends, it acts towards the middle.

At any other point on the string, the tension acts towards the bodies of the two pieces of the string either side of the point.

Hence at A or B it acts downwards in general, although it's actually acting along the line of the string, downwards at an angle.

At C, the tension acts upwards at an angle. One lot towards A, and one lot towards B. And because these two tensions are equal in magnitude, and at the same angle to the horizontal, but opposite sides, then their horizontal components cancel out and you're left with a net force acting vertically upwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steelmeat)
    hey! coconut

i just foind this website which explains this really well, it's a few comments down and he has quite a few diagrams to explain where the tension goes
    http://physics.stackexchange.com/que...-tension-force
    Hi I think I sort of got the idea now thanks

ReputationRep:
    is it unusual that answered the question correctly without even using the ring at C at all?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.