Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Home Insurance for Housing Next Year? Watch

    • Thread Starter

    Just wondering whether past or current or even future students that lived or will be living in a house next year decided to get home insurance that covers anything like theft, damage such as broken windows or broken locks, maybe things that will cause you illness (on my friends got ill because there was a gas leak and the landlord said they'd fix it but didn't and she had to go hospital to find out what was wrong with her. It appeared she had some of the gas leakage in her bloodstream).

    Is it a good idea to get some kind of house insurance in case anything goes wrong or because it's a student house, are landlords liable for anything that happens that's beyond students' control?

    What are people's experience with getting home insurance and is there any students that wished they got it in hindsight?


    Some friends had their student house burgled - jewellery and laptopswere stolen. The ones that had insurance were able to replace them. The landlord wouldn't have been responsible for doing so. Sometimes you can add your belongings to your parents' contents inurance even though you live elsewhere, but you can also find policies which you can take out yourself.

    The NUS has a good summary and advice:

    Your rent should include a sum for property insurance which will cover some kinds of damage (but not all), so check the small print. Your landlord should have landlord's insurance.
Still A Remainer Or A Brexiteer?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.