The Student Room Group

Comparing my life to my ex's life.

Hey, I'm sure I'm not the only one to have ever felt like this, but it's really getting me down lately and I wanted to share and maybe get some advice?

I was with my (ex) girlfriend for 3 and a half years, and pretty much over night she decided she wanted to break up with me, saying that she felt like I was more of a brother, and didn't feel the same way anymore, amongst other reasons such as long distance (she was at uni 2 hours away and I worked full time.)

Safe to say she broke my heart, and I went into a bit of a depressive slump. I actually ended up quitting my job because I couldn't cope etc. Anyway, I'm ok (kinda) now. I'm pretty much over her, and I'm back on my feet and have started a new job. The one issue I'm having though, which is really getting to me at the moment, is that I keep comparing my life to hers and it really bloody sucks.
For instance, she's just finished uni, she's secured a really good job placement over summer, she's going to all these amazing summer festivals, she's going on holidays, has loads of friends etc. I'm just stuck at home, working a full time job, barely have a social life.

I know I shouldn't compare, but I can't help it. I even went as far as deleting all my social media accounts because I could see what she was up to (I didn't even have her on them, but we have loads of mutual friends and they'd post pictures up and she'd be in them etc.)
I just know that she's really happy and is doing much better than me and although I guess I should be happy for her, it just makes me feel like rubbish!!

Anyone else ever felt like this? Any advice?

I've been holding out to post about it because I know that in the grand scheme of things it's not a big issue and I should just get on with life, but it's really upsetting me.
She didnt decide overnight, it will have been coming a long time, but she reached the breaking point when she told you.
You should have removed her from social emdia.

Look forward and sort your own life out. You are using her life to make yourself feel worse.
Get a plan and decide what you wnat to do. If shes made a success, then why dont you fo to Uni or do soemthing that will get you into a better job?
Do things that will get you a gf or more friends. Do positive things.

If social media is making you unhappy then stop using it.
Original post by Anonymous
I was with my (ex) girlfriend for 3 and a half years, and pretty much over night she decided she wanted to break up with me, saying that she felt like I was more of a brother, and didn't feel the same way anymore, amongst other reasons such as long distance (she was at uni 2 hours away and I worked full time.)

Safe to say she broke my heart, and I went into a bit of a depressive slump. I actually ended up quitting my job because I couldn't cope etc.

Sorry but she doesn't sound like a very nice person to put you through that. Surely there must have been some warning signs, but you just ignored them? Anyway I wouldn't compare yourself to her as you wouldn't want somebody in your life who can turn so cold so quickly she will probably cause trouble to whoever crosses her path. Who cares how many festivals she's going to. Stop going on her social media accounts and feeding her narcissism that's probably exactly what she wants.
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry but she doesn't sound like a very nice person to put you through that. Surely there must have been some warning signs, but you just ignored them? Anyway I wouldn't compare yourself to her as you wouldn't want somebody in your life who can turn so cold so quickly she will probably cause trouble to whoever crosses her path. Who cares how many festivals she's going to. Stop going on her social media accounts and feeding her narcissism that's probably exactly what she wants.

Think you have a very warped biew. What has she done wrong? She broke up woth him and then carried on with her life?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending