Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to make a complaint about my treatment during an audition... opinion? Watch

ReputationRep:
    At the tail end of March I had an audition for BA Film and TV at the RCS, Glasgow. Why did it take so long for me to post? I didn't think it was too awful, but as I began to think back, and tell people what happened, they unanimously agreed that I was treated awfully.

Before I bulletpoint to you what happened, I want to state very clearly that, whilst I ultimately did not get a place within the RCS, this is not why I am complaining. I accepted a place elsewhere that best suits my needs, and regardless, I still want to make clear what sort of treatment I received.

-When asked what I would do if I didn't get in, I jokingly replied that I would cry. The man (was interviewed by two people - a man and a lady) replied, in complete seriousness, 'Obviously.')

-When asked, I told them I received an unconditional to Glasgow Caley - my back up course. The man proceeded to scoff, and tell me that I 'didn't want to go there' and began to talk about how Caley was a bad uni with an equally bad course. As a professional, the fact he talked like that about a fellow university and similar course is disgusting. The lady (who had a cold and could barely talk) also joined in, and opted to mock this course rather than interviewing me (which I shall get to later on.)

-I told them several time that my dream was to direct a horror film. The man said to me 'You probably won't end up in film,'. That was incredibly disheartening (although likely true).

-Before your audition, you have to watch 6 movies and write a 300 word essay on one of them. I chose 'The King of Comedy', and my essay was exactly 300 words, my (advanced) english teacher has reviewed it for me and was very impressed. I took a different approach, and wrote a short paragraph before watching the movie to discuss my expectations of it. Within 10 minutes of the interview beginning, I was told that we would not be discussing the essay at all, but rather, my personal statement. (He added that this was something they didn't normally do.) So all my stress over writing it was unnecessary.

-When I discussed that I liked the director Todd Browning purely because 'Freaks' was my favourite movie, I was, yet again, scoffed at, and told 'So you don't like him, you just like the film?' I tried to justify that it takes a certain type of person to much such a movie, and thus, I have to admire him, he raised his eyebrows and said nothing.

-The women who had a cold was meant to discuss film, but couldn't (despite being able to mock Caley earlier) so all the man asked was 'What TV shows do you like?' and I said stuff like GoT, Scrubs, DW, Sherlock, Arrow, Flash, ect ect. The man (yet again) scoffed, raised an eyebrow, and said something to the effect of 'We hear that all the time. Don't you like something else?' and I tried to explain that no, I loved these shows, and that shows were popular *for a reason* he just raised his eyebrow, said nothing, and I was asked nothing else about TV.

-I told them I had recently completed work experience at BBC Scotland, after being chosen from hundreds of applicants. Whilst I believe this to be very impressive, the man laughed and said 'Was it proper work experience or were you just stapling things?' (I detailed extensively in my personal statement about it. He had it in his hand, yet still didn't know anything about it.)

-I told them I have made 5 films, 2 were in the works, and I have helped in a side project with a friend. The reply? 'Ok.' That was it. They didn't ask a single thing about it, despite me auditioning for a FILM AND TV course.

Other similar things occurred (being looking down upon, mocking my other choices and interests, very poor questions), and I was ultimately rejected for not having enough experience. I replied, asking in what manner. I've worked in a cinema for over a year, worked at the BBC and completed 5 movies. I was told I have to pay over £200 for RCS summer schools, then pay £65 to reapply. So I understand what type of university they run.

Anyway.

Is it worth my while taking this up with RCS? I've moved on, and I am going to Caley now, but I still want some justification for my treatment or an apology.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Apocalypstick)
    Seriously? Suck it up! That was a standard, middle of the road interview for a role in the arts. if you are going to be that sensitive about people disagreeing with your opinions, and if you are going to try and make formal complaints about people when you've just had an enquiring interviewer, you probably won't make it through the first year of your degree course.

Deal with the fact that adults have opinions (in this case that Caly is rubbish) and they are allowed to express them!

If you give a jokey reply to an interview question, be prepared for a non-standard riposte - or is it just you that the conventions of a formal interview don't apply to?

You got disheartening (but probably true) advice from an experienced professional - sensible people would soak that up and use it positively.

They didn't talk about every single element of your paper application in the interview - that's entirely standard at an interview

It's an entirely appropriate question to ask if 'work experience' really gave you an experience of work or whether it was just admin trivia - because most of them are and add no real value to future employment. Expect you be asked it again at interview.

Deal with the fact that you had no 'treatment' you just gave shallow, unimpressive answers.

Move on with what you've got, which you are happy suits you better anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Seriously? Suck it up! That was a standard, middle of the road interview for a role in the arts. if you are going to be that sensitive about people disagreeing with your opinions, and if you are going to try and make formal complaints about people when you've just had an enquiring interviewer, you probably won't make it through the first year of your degree course.

Deal with the fact that adults have opinions (in this case that Caly is rubbish) and they are allowed to express them!

If you give a jokey reply to an interview question, be prepared for a non-standard riposte - or is it just you that the conventions of a formal interview don't apply to?

You got disheartening (but probably true) advice from an experienced professional - sensible people would soak that up and use it positively.

They didn't talk about every single element of your paper application in the interview - that's entirely standard at an interview

It's an entirely appropriate question to ask if 'work experience' really gave you an experience of work or whether it was just admin trivia - because most of them are and add no real value to future employment. Expect you be asked it again at interview.

Deal with the fact that you had no 'treatment' you just gave shallow, unimpressive answers.

Move on with what you've got, which you are happy suits to better anyway.

I can handle critique and criticism of my work - I've had enough auditions and interviews to tell the difference between such things and just down right rude comments.

For example, when discussing my submission film, instead of saying that 'This aspect of it wasn't strong enough,' or 'Here is what needs to be changed' they flat out said 'We didn't like it' and said nothing else of the matter.

If they spoke to me in a respectful manner, and like a serious candidate, then I would be like 'Okay whatever.' The issue is that they were so patronising, pompous and didn't give me a fair opportunity to present myself as an applicant.

THAT'S the issues I have. I feel like they'd already decided if I was in or not before I had even got a chance to speak. I didn't have an equal shot, in my opinion.

Despite having since moved on, I came out of the room doubting everything I had done over the last three years to get there, instead of thinking 'They've given me fair points to work on for the next time.'

(In regards to the BBC comment, after stating 'Did you do proper work or staple things?' they didn't actually ask me what I did.)

ReputationRep:
    I can handle critique and criticism of my work - I've had enough auditions and interviews to tell the difference between such things and just down right rude comments.

For example, when discussing my submission film, instead of saying that 'This aspect of it wasn't strong enough,' or 'Here is what needs to be changed' they flat out said 'We didn't like it' and said nothing else of the matter.

If they spoke to me in a respectful manner, and like a serious candidate, then I would be like 'Okay whatever.' The issue is that they were so patronising, pompous and didn't give me a fair opportunity to present myself as an applicant.

THAT'S the issues I have. I feel like they'd already decided if I was in or not before I had even got a chance to speak. I didn't have an equal shot, in my opinion.

Despite having since moved on, I came out of the room doubting everything I had done over the last three years to get there, instead of thinking 'They've given me fair points to work on for the next time.'

(In regards to the BBC comment, after stating 'Did you do proper work or staple things?' they didn't actually ask me what I did.)
    It won't hurt to make a complaint. It might be funny to see their justification. They were down right rude
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper

(Original post by student.feed)
    It won't hurt to make a complaint. It might be funny to see their justification. They were down right rude
    It's only your opinion that they were patronising and pompous, and anyway, what if they were, what do you want to gain out of a complaint? You will meet people like that in all walks of life, but especially in the Arts where opinions count for so much.

You have nothing that even approaches evidence that they had a pre-conceived opinion. They invited you to interview, so they thought you were worth half an hour or so of two professionals' time to listen to you. They told you what they thought about the weaker parts of your paper application. You didn't step up and produce a strong interview, you didn't get an offer.

On the question about the stapling - there was no need to ask anything else, you should have stepped in with a positive answer like 'No, it was full on helping the lighting designer draw up .......and working with the costume team to .... and.....' ie they asked a question and you should have used the opportunity to answer effectively.

Think about it the other way around for a moment. They aren't going to offer a place to everyone they interview, it wouldn't be worth the time and cost of interviewing of they were. So what do you think a bad interview would look like? Possibly a candidate that couldn't effectively defend their artistic preferences? A candidate that gave superficial answers, a candidate that got very defensive about criticism, and candidate that gave flippant answers....

It could hurt massively to make a complaint as empty as this. The arts word is small, what goes around comes around. Establish as reputation as being precious this early on and it is almost bound to come back and bite you at some point. Plus there is nothing material to get back, there is no course place, or job, or money to be recovered, just a sense of injured pride.

There was no objective rudeness, there was no swearing, calling names etc, there was no evidence of bias based on a protected characteristic. The OP just tanked at an interview and has festered on it ever since.

ReputationRep:
    x

Anyway.

Is it worth my while taking this up with RCS? I've moved on, and I am going to Caley now, but I still want some justification for my treatment or an apology.
    No... No you haven't, but should... Good, do well there... I thought you said you had moved on?

ReputationRep:
    I had a similar experience with a PGCE interview in December. I'd already had two offers but this was my first choice so really wanted to get in. Throughout the interview process I felt they didn't even give me a chance, they'd already written me off for whatever reason. The way they'd arranged the day was a shambles and I started crying after I left I was that upset about it all. They said they'd let everyone know via phone whether they'd got in or not the next day but it was six weeks later that I received an automated response via email.

I was going to complain and even wrote a draft complaint to send to them but now, six months on, I'm glad I didn't. I think it just makes you look bitter and angry not to get in, and they'd probably think 'they sound like trouble, it's a good job we didn't give them a place!'. They do sound pretty rude at interview though, and jaded and cynical - if they feel like that, why are they doing the job?!

Put it down to experience and use it as inspiration to do your best and prove them wrong

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.