Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=an Siarach]
    (Original post by H&E)
    I generally dislike the attitude adopted by certain frequent posters to this sub-forum which seems to almost assume propriety of it. Yourself, Speciez, Vienna and Jonatan are the most prominent examples;

You complain of our attitude, accusing us of arrogance. I thought the example of your own arrogance and attitude was quite pertinent.

true, he attacked me in an Israeli thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    thats not the point. organised neg repping by a select few, with no indication of why or who by, is wrong. the key point here is that the moderators knew of this behaviour and not only turned a blind eye, but enjoyed the joke.
    It started as simply saying that all subscribers should sign neg rep as "Don", this was said (by me, incidentally) in a tongue-in-cheek way, but was not meant to allude to organised neg rep giving, and, apart from in endorf's case where it was taken out of hand, organised neg rep giving has not occured.

The mods don't moderate the HSS forum as much as the others, so they may not have been aware.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=an Siarach]
    (Original post by H&E)
    I generally dislike the attitude adopted by certain frequent posters to this sub-forum which seems to almost assume propriety of it. Yourself, Speciez, Vienna and Jonatan are the most prominent examples;

You complain of our attitude, accusing us of arrogance. I thought the example of your own arrogance and attitude was quite pertinent.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    So much for wanting to make this forum a better place, all you lot are doing is inciting hatred among members. Bringing up histories of what various members have said and done is disgusting! This is supposed to be a debate forum but you are not being rational at all, just verbal boxing to win arguments.

Well done vienna *applauds* I hope you are happy with the new changes you have proposed and implemented!! Instead of trying to sort something out, you make this place even worse than it was before.

Will you all please calm down? It's obvious we can't all agree on what to do so the best thing is to respect d's decision in appointing us as mods (of course - it's his site after all) and we will bear your suggestions and criticisms in mind. Just don't expect any wonders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    exaclty "asking" ... noone was compelled to obey the request and noone did before checking out the posts and threads concerned.

No member would blindly rep someone on the request of another member without first deciding that there wasn't someone else more worthy and making sure that they agreed that the post/member in question was most worthy. :rolleyes:
    well at least your admitting there were was some agreed procedure...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by swatfa)
    This is a good point, why dont we (subscribers) get moderated? is it part of the subscription privileges?

I mean i see several threads there which on the general forum or any other sub-forum that would be deleted, such as another Gmail thread, a thread all dedicated to vienna etc etc.
    Ollie deleted the rep whoring threads...as for the others I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa)
    This is a good point, why dont we (subscribers) get moderated? is it part of the subscription privileges?

I mean i see several threads there which on the general forum or any other sub-forum that would be deleted, such as another Gmail thread, a thread all dedicated to vienna etc etc.
    It is moderated, but not as much, simply beucase the other, public forums, have to be moderated fully, so the HSS forum need not take as much moderating time, its access is restricted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    so they may not have been aware.
    come on, ive read the threads, ive watched the posting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Why?
    Well its a character thing. For your accusations to be taken seriously your own character would have to be accepted as flawless in this respect, as it is you were being totally hypocrital in your accusations - moaning about supposed arrogance and poor attitude when you yourself are a contributor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    true, he attacked me in an Israeli thread
    Actually, I felt it was you who attacked me, repeatedly. Certainly, I never accused your country's army of being "bloodthirsty mercenaries". Nor did I neg-rep you, providing "for being an impertinent, right-wing and violent political nihilist" as the reason.

That, however, is a very old discussion.

ReputationRep:
    Ollie deleted the rep whoring threads...as for the others I'm not sure.
    when? since yesterday? because thats not information i would concur with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    So much for wanting to make this forum a better place, all you lot are doing is inciting hatred among members. Bringing up histories of what various members have said and done is disgusting! This is supposed to be a debate forum but you are not being rational at all, just verbal boxing to win arguments.

Well done vienna *applauds* I hope you are happy with the new changes you have proposed and implemented!! Instead of trying to sort something out, you make this place even worse than it was before.

Will you all please calm down? It's obvious we can't all agree on what to do so the best thing is to respect d's decision in appointing us as mods (of course - it's his site after all) and we will bear your suggestions and criticisms in mind. Just don't expect any wonders.
    how about you get on and do your job, then there would be no need for this debate in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    It was a few weeks ago - PQ is not lying!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    organisation is based on commands? hehe, what? its almost entirely the opposite..collusion, conspiracy and cooperation.
    You mean you've never pm'd someone about a discussion in the public forum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    forgive me if this sounds a little hollow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endorf)
    how about you get on and do your job, then there would be no need for this debate in the first place.
    This is getting out of hand - there are no cliques - 95% of the discussion in the HSS forum is boring chat.

ReputationRep:
    exaclty "asking" ... noone was compelled to obey the request and noone did before checking out the posts and threads concerned.

No member would blindly rep someone on the request of another member without first deciding that there wasn't someone else more worthy and making sure that they agreed that the post/member in question was most worthy. :rolleyes:
    this is insulting. your argument is deeply flawed and has holes in it the size of large craters. yet you still continue to dig dig dig..

ReputationRep:
    May I please highlight something Jonathan said in his first post which should at least serve as something in this thread?

(Original post by Jonathan)
    Note that I have no means of directly interfering with the UK learning system and this is thus merely a petition showing the opinions of people chosing to participate and it is up to those capable of causing a change to decide whether they want to take any notice of the eventual outcome of this thread.
    This directly contradicts with what vienna is trying to achieve:

your moderator status should be forfeited, not the wish of the forum.

ReputationRep:
    You mean you've never pm'd someone about a discussion in the public forum?
    of course but ive never suggested someone be neg repped. ive never suggested we do it as a group. ive never suggested that we do it repeatedly. ive never suggested that we do it under an alias. ive never suggested that we give absurd and abusive reasons.ive never had the responsibilty and trust instilled in me by the forum to behave responsibly.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.