Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Petition - Sign if you dissaprove of users getting punished for "disagreeing" watch

the mods are there to keep the place under ****in control, not to ban people if they disagree with their opinionated views

yep, expression knows this place is vulnerable, thx to my ddosing

ReputationRep:
    i would say its becoming rather conclusive.

ReputationRep:
    This is the most conclusive poll I've ever seen on UKL. Has there been one with a higher % for yes or no? j/w

ReputationRep:
    agree to an extent, however a lot of the threads here i've found are pure junk and useless attempts at gaining reputation. you'll find multiple copies of the same topic if you search. those should be removed.

if there is a thread in existence which is just asking for all manner of controvertial views (god i remember one, something dumb along the lines is being gay a ****ing mental illess - i mean wtf plz..), the whole thread should be deleted. i dont believe individuals comments should be removed however, unless they're deliberately taking the piss. it's up to the mods i guess to draw the line between what they personally deem as unsuitable, from what is wholly unacceptable. posts shouldn't be removed therefore because a mod doesn't like it personally, that'll just encourage the ever apparent mass-opinion here.

then again, saying all of this. the use of such a website is a privellage, not a right. at the end of the day, they can really do what they want with it, ban who they want, see what they want, censor what they dont, and really it's not our position to complain. if we were all paying for access, it might be a different story, but the majority aren't.

ReputationRep:
    I would consider myself a more "liberal" mod than some of the others in terms of debating - I don't like deleting things just because they are liable to cause offence. Lots of things which are deleted are ultimately opinions which is the point of this forum, but I appreciate that sometimes it is tempting to delete things when the thread is getting too "chaotic".

But I do disagree on one point. It is considerably difficult and perhaps unfeasible to pm people with the reason of deletion especially given the amount we have to delete on a daily basis. If they can't respect the forum rules, surely we don't have to go out of the way to be respectful in giving them a reason. And anyway, 9 times out of 10, the reason is obvious.

In the light of the above, I have nothing to do but remain neutral as I agree with only half of what you are proposing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaZZZ)
    the mods are there to keep the place under ****in control, not to ban people if they disagree with their opinionated views

yep, expression knows this place is vulnerable, thx to my ddosing
    You've been ddosing? That's quite a serious crime, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    But I do disagree on one point. It is considerably difficult and perhaps unfeasible to pm people with the reason of deletion especially given the amount we have to delete on a daily basis. If they can't respect the forum rules, surely we don't have to go out of the way to be respectful in giving them a reason. And anyway, 9 times out of 10, the reason is obvious.
    those who contribute on D+D are usually quite grown up about it. all we ask is that u drop someone a post or PM to say that its been done and why. this concurs with the irritation that subscribers can see such information, but the rest of us cant.if youre too busy, then one has to ask, is there a need for a fresh moderator?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    As some people here have experienced (claimed) having posts deleted, or eaven accounts banned, not because of offensive contents, but simply because views in these posts have been unpopular among those capable of interfering with the forum's system. I ask those who agree with the given petition to sign if they agree with me that:

Posts should be deleted only in cases where the content is in direct contradiction to the terms and conditions of UK learning, and a reason for the deletion should be sent with a PM to the user posting the statement.

Note that I have no means of directly interfering with the UK learning system and this is thus merely a petition showing the opinions of people chosing to participate and it is up to those capable of causing a change to decide whether they want to take any notice of the eventual outcome of this thread.
    I voted no because i dont think the mods need to send a PM for every post they delete. Usually the other members would point out all the "issues" and make it quite clear that it was uneeded and would probably be deleted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    This is the most conclusive poll I've ever seen on UKL. Has there been one with a higher % for yes or no? j/w
    'fraid so. It wasnt pretty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    hey...wait till katy turns up...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d)
    But I think that the copyright over the postings are held by the author
    (Original post by d)
    In my opinion, the board doesn't necessarily need to be constrained by its origins. So long as people are interested, I say discuss it.
    Does this help the case?

ReputationRep:
    After closer reading of the petition I think that my vote would better fit as neutral. I don't think that pm's are normally neccessary, but I do agree with the first part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    I voted no because i dont think the mods need to send a PM for every post they delete. Usually the other members would point out all the "issues" and make it quite clear that it was uneeded and would probably be deleted.
    you have the benefit of subscriber privileges, so i wouldnt expect your position to be 'sympathetic'. the situation you describe has become more and more difficult, which is why we have this poll and it is in the current state. its also a little rich coming from someone who would no doubt delete the debate subforum entirely.

ReputationRep:
    I wholeheartly agree

ReputationRep:
    May I ask where the line is drawn on disagreeing, is a comment that is racist cosidered offensive or are they just diasagreeing with the norm and have a right to their own opinion, for example a comment a while ago which I reported was something like "If he bombed all mosques(which most would like to do!)" (wasn't that exact wording but words to that effect), is that offensive or just disagreeing with what others say.
    I agree that we don't want to turn this into a 100% politically correct forum, but I don't really understand what kind of "disagreable" comment you are getting at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    May I ask where the line is drawn on disagreeing, is a comment that is racist cosidered offensive or are they just diasagreeing with the norm and have a right to their own opinion,
    Racist comments and posts and users seem to find little opposition from the moderators on this board recently, while legitimate debates have been completely erased. This is what we are against.

for example a comment a while ago which I reported was something like "If he bombed all mosques(which most would like to do!)" (wasn't that exact wording but words to that effect), is that offensive or just disagreeing with what others say.
    I also saw that post,which i agree is unacceptable and adds nothing to a debate.

I agree that we don't want to turn this into a 100% politically correct forum, but I don't really understand what kind of "disagreable" comment you are getting at.
    As Jonatan states:

Posts should be deleted only in cases where the content is in direct contradiction to the terms and conditions of UK learning, and a reason for the deletion should be sent with a PM to the user posting the statement.
    I notice you voted against this petition, as you say yourself you were unsure of what exactly was meant be 'disagreement'. Would it not have been better to wait until you understood what it was before voting for or against?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Racist comments and posts and users seem to find little opposition from the moderators on this board recently, while legitimate debates have been completely erased. This is what we are against.

I also saw that post,which i agree is unacceptable and adds nothing to a debate.

As Jonatan states:

I notice you voted against this petition, as you say yourself you were unsure of what exactly was meant be 'disagreement'. Would it not have been better to wait until you understood what it was before voting for or against?
    that all seems valid to me..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    I wholeheartly agree
    i approve of the petition, from the other threads posted by me on this matter you can clearly see 'moderator privelige abuse' on account of some of the moderators. Personally i'm dissapointed since two active threads which i posted up to 500 posts on altogether were deleted without justification bringing my post count significantly down.

IMO we should be seeing more 'closed threads' with a final message by a moderator as to why it has been 'locked' and less thread deletion since it can be very irritating and anoying to many users. Also it should be mentioned that several threads which are wrongfully posted in a sub-forum are deleted lately as opposed to being moved.

regarding the 'subscribers,' its still a frustrating issue, i dont feel happy about the fact that the reasons for deletion that i can see are usually presented as a 'joke' rather then providing a good reason for deletion, to quote some of the reasons given from looking at the forum:

Adshur
    Reason: Don't you mess with me....

Adshur
    Reason: I don't think we should have any more suicide threads

Expression
    Reason: Dont even start we dont know the qualified teams yet.

Expression
    Reason: It's not censorship. Tis general housekeeping

Expression
    Reason: Come back when you learn how to write

There are many more.
    I seriously think that most of the threads deleted are based on personal dissaproval of a thread or a message rather then misconduct
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa)
    i approve of the petition, from the other threads posted by me on this matter you can clearly see 'moderator privelige abuse' on account of some of the moderators. Personally i'm dissapointed since two active threads which i posted up to 500 posts on altogether were deleted without justification bringing my post count significantly down.

IMO we should be seeing more 'closed threads' with a final message by a moderator as to why it has been 'locked' and less thread deletion since it can be very irritating and anoying to many users. Also it should be mentioned that several threads which are wrongfully posted in a sub-forum are deleted lately as opposed to being moved.

regarding the 'subscribers,' its still a frustrating issue, i dont feel happy about the fact that the reasons for deletion that i can see are usually presented as a 'joke' rather then providing a good reason for deletion, to quote some of the reasons given from looking at the forum:

Adshur
    Reason: Don't you mess with me....

Adshur
    Reason: I don't think we should have any more suicide threads

Expression
    Reason: Dont even start we dont know the qualified teams yet.

Expression
    Reason: It's not censorship. Tis general housekeeping

Expression
    Reason: Come back when you learn how to write

There are many more.
    I seriously think that most of the threads deleted are based on personal dissaproval of a thread or a message rather then misconduct
    your contributions are welcomed swatfa. i think it backs up the grounds on which Jonatan created this thread.

ReputationRep:
    If you consider it too much effort to give a valid reason for the deletion of what amounts to days, sometimes weeks worth of debate and discussion then you shouldnt be a moderator.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.