Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Petition - Sign if you dissaprove of users getting punished for "disagreeing" watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying I won't give a reason for those who want it.

If anyone wants reason for thread deletion, a pm would be appreciated instead of flooding the board with more threads about the deletion. I have never refused to give a reason to those who have pm'd me and asked for it - and I'm sure other members can vouch for that.

I'm just saying, we shouldn't have to automatically give a reason when the reason is sometimes so obvious.

I don't think I've really deleted anything in the debate forum though, so perhaps I will be able to leave reasons - especially if the member is a respected sensible member and not someone like Dazya who tries to pollute the forum.

And swafta, as for the deletion comments, I didn't know that they were going to be checked up on like that to make sure they are tailored to the subscriber needs. The deletion msgs are a privilege for teh subscribers - they don't need them because as I have said already most of the time the reason is obvious and if the threadstarter wants a reason they can just ask us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    And swafta, as for the deletion comments, I didn't know that they were going to be checked up on like that to make sure they are tailored to the subscriber needs. .
    i think thats what concerns alot of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa)
    i approve of the petition, from the other threads posted by me on this matter you can clearly see 'moderator privelige abuse' on account of some of the moderators. Personally i'm dissapointed since two active threads which i posted up to 500 posts on altogether were deleted without justification bringing my post count significantly down.
    oh noes!!1 yu0r post count!!"!!1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    i think thats what concerns alot of people.
    Yeah. Well I don't see why suddenly we have to start making elaborate reasons when before, moderators just deleted threads without putting in a reason. And that is why maybe we have got rather sloppy by trying to put in reasons which amuse us as well. Surely most of our decisions for deletion are agreed upon though? Do we really have to spell everything out? How do we know that the reasons we see as obvious won't be seen as such by others?

All I can say is, I don't delete threads "just because" and to show my authority but according to the rules of teh forum. Even mods have disputes when one is more leniant than another so ultimately it's down to what we consider best. We are only students as well and the best we can do is try and keep this a clean and safe and unoffensive place for all the members.

If you can think of an alternative or a suggestion that doesn't turn us into robots and hinder us from using the forum ourselves, I'd be glad to hear it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Well I don't see why suddenly we have to start making elaborate reasons when before, moderators just deleted threads without putting in a reason. And that is why maybe we have got rather sloppy by trying to put in reasons which amuse us as well. Surely most of our decisions for deletion are agreed upon though? Do we really have to spell everything out? How do we know that the reasons we see as obvious won't be seen as such by others?

All I can say is, I don't delete threads "just because" and to show my authority but according to the rules of teh forum. Even mods have disputes when one is more leniant than another so ultimately it's down to what we consider best. We are only students as well and the best we can do is try and keep this a clean and safe and unoffensive place for all the members.

If you can think of an alternative or a suggestion that doesn't turn us into robots and hinder us from using the forum ourselves, I'd be glad to hear it.
    the forum has changed. only 13% of it appears happy with the situation we have now. if youre not comfortable with that position, then its your moderator status that should be forfeited, not the wish of the forum.

ReputationRep:
    the forum has changed. only 13% of it appears happy with the situation we have now. if youre not comfortable with that position, then its your moderator status that should be forfeited, not the wish of the forum.
    well said

ReputationRep:
    Where do you get this 13% figure from?

I don't think anyone is against my position or my decisions as I have by no means ever done anything which is contrary to what the threadstarter has proposed.

So before you start trying to compromise my position, please at least make sure you know of the crimes I've committed.

ReputationRep:
    Is it quite common for moderator abuse to occur on large forums? This is the second forum I've noticed it on.

ReputationRep:
    You cannot say that all views should be tolerated, there are some things that even you would not tolerate, like if people expressed an interest in clensing the world of all people who are not white. Some views are offensive and can cause a lot of people a great deal of heartache and pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    You cannot say that all views should be tolerated, there are some things that even you would not tolerate, like if people expressed an interest in clensing the world of all people who are not white. Some views are offensive and can cause a lot of people a great deal of heartache and pain.
    Yes, to argue that racism is "just a point of view" is not exactly going to be acceptable to most people.

How about we have a "health warning" on this forum and be a bit more leniant towards posts as long as they don't abuse this right to be more open.

ReputationRep:
    4 / 30

I don't think anyone is against my position or my decisions as I have by no means ever done anything which is contrary to what the threadstarter has proposed.

So before you start trying to compromise my position, please at least make sure you know of the crimes I've committed.
    this seems like a reasonable rebuttal of the supported suggestion to which i had replied.

"Well I don't see why suddenly we have to start making elaborate reasons when before, moderators just deleted threads without putting in a reason. And that is why maybe we have got rather sloppy by trying to put in reasons which amuse us as well. Surely most of our decisions for deletion are agreed upon though? Do we really have to spell everything out?"

ReputationRep:
    Yes, to argue that racism is "just a point of view" is not exactly going to be acceptable to most people.
    it happens to be an issue we debate quite heavily over here, which is why many are none too pleased.

ReputationRep:
    4 / 30

this seems like a reasonable rebuttal of the supported suggestion to which i had replied.

"Well I don't see why suddenly we have to start making elaborate reasons when before, moderators just deleted threads without putting in a reason. And that is why maybe we have got rather sloppy by trying to put in reasons which amuse us as well. Surely most of our decisions for deletion are agreed upon though? Do we really have to spell everything out?"
    I just don't think that just because there are subscribers, we have to change our policies.

I said that I won't do anything differently simply because I generally dont' delete anything in this forum. But ok, I will of course write better reasons next time.

And to have people get a pm for why their posts are deleted, well...you also have to bear in mind that this is one of the reasons why members pay £5 to subscibe. If you want reasons, you might as well subscribe instead of trying to scrape at the things the subscribers get.

ReputationRep:

How about we have a "health warning" on this forum and be a bit more leniant towards posts as long as they don't abuse this right to be more open.
    If we were to decide that certain points of view are unacceptable a great number of prominent users would be banned, in fact we may as well rename the forum the 'no more right wing than New Labour debate and discussion forum'. People may not agree with someone elses opinion or point of view, however this is not cause for banning, what SHOULD be a cause for banning is deliberate attempts at incitement of hatred - holding supposedly 'racist' or 'bigoted' views (and i can name several who most would consider to do so) does not go hand in hand with offensive and antagonistic posts and statements. At the end of the day if people cannot handle others holding non-matching political/religious/philosophical views then they shouldnt be anywhere near D&D.

ReputationRep:
    it happens to be an issue we debate quite heavily over here, which is why many are none too pleased.
    But you didn't consider the fact that I don't mind it...hence the proposal of having a warning on this subforum and being more leniant with posts.

ReputationRep:

Im not accusing you of anything, dont take it to a 'personal level.' Im criticising the moderation on this forum in general. That being the overall quality of moderation on behalf of all the moderators. In my opinion you are a good moderator, with a 'few' exceptions where i happened to diagree with you. The focus of this subject is not about Adshur, but about a 'change' in the way all the moderators should do their job. Once again, i understand your a 'student,' i understand that you 'dont get paid for this,' but its still a responsibility nonetheless, and it is a responsibility that 'you' accepted therefore whether you get paid or not is irrelevent, you still have to commit to the tasks it involves.

I know that the 'reasons' given are present for subscribers only, but it still portrays how seriously you take tour job, so when you get reasons like: 'because i can,' it loses the trust members have in you. Besides anything that is present to subscribers can be shown to normal members as i have done with screenshots of the deleted threads, so it must be taken seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Somehow I believe that there are many members here who would never be happy, regardless of the number of new mods and changes in what they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa)
    Im not accusing you of anything, dont take it to a 'personal level.' Im criticising the moderation on this forum in general. That being the overall quality of moderation on behalf of all the moderators. In my opinion you are a good moderator, with a 'few' exceptions where i happened to diagree with you. The focus of this subject is not about Adshur, but about a 'change' in the way all the moderators should do their job. Once again, i understand your a 'student,' i understand that you 'dont get paid for this,' but its still a responsibility nonetheless, and it is a responsibility that 'you' accepted therefore whether you get paid or not is irrelevent, you still have to commit to the tasks it involves.

I know that the 'reasons' given are present for subscribers only, but it still portrays how seriously you take tour job, so when you get reasons like: 'because i can,' it loses the trust members have in you. Besides anything that is present to subscribers can be shown to normal members as i have done with screenshots of the deleted threads, so it must be taken seriously.
    I agree that reasons such as "because I can" are abusing the position of a mod. But most of the time such reasons are given to members who are incessently posting rubbish on the forum and won't take a better reason as an answer.

ReputationRep:
    But you didn't consider the fact that I don't mind it...hence the proposal of having a warning on this subforum and being more leniant with posts.
    i take into consideration what you post, thus,

ReputationRep:
    But most of the time such reasons are given to members who are incessently posting rubbish on the forum and won't take a better reason as an answer.
    This is understandable however, when a number of threads which should not have been deleted are, such reasons as 'because i can' are bound to arouse suspicion as to whether the moderators are abusing their power.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.