Turn on thread page Beta

Petition - Sign if you dissaprove of users getting punished for "disagreeing" watch

Announcements
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    mistake? singular?
    Deleting both threads at once is probably possible - I'm not sure how the mod control panel is set out but I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar to hotmail/yahoo mail with tickboxes next to the threads and buttons to perform actions on those threads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    The reasons posted that are so worrying are from the general chat forum after a prolonged outbreak of spam threads being created. Unsurprisingly the mods were all getting a little p*ssed off and annoyed at the perpetrators and let off a little steam amongst themselves.
    Ah that does make sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Ah that does make sense.
    but it doesnt make it acceptable

ReputationRep:
    an Siarach still hasn't recieved an explaination for hir banning - until sie does I'd rather not speculate as to whether it was a mistake a misunderstanding or even potentially justified*

*not implying it was just suggesting that all things are possible and only the mods can see the soft deleted threads which may contain the justification.
    I have recieved an explanation. No it was not a mistake or misunderstanding and no it was not justified.

ReputationRep:
    how is it that insulting another member in the general chat forum is deemed an offence which either results in thread deletion or a ban, yet the numerous threads insulting members in the subscriber forum (which i myself have had the pleasure of viewing), are allowed to stay. double standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    but it doesnt make it acceptable
    True, it is understandable though(its general chat after all, the entire sub forum is one stinking bucketfull of worthlessness).
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I have recieved an explanation. No it was not a mistake or misunderstanding and no it was not justified.
    I'm sorry to hear that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endorf)
    how is it that insulting another member in the general chat forum is deemed an offence which either results in thread deletion or a ban, yet the numerous threads insulting members in the subscriber forum (which i myself have had the pleasure of viewing), are allowed to stay. double standards.
    Indeed. There are threads there based soley on insulting other members.

ReputationRep:
    Can i ask again that all who vote No on the poll explain the reason for their stance.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. There are threads there based soley on insulting other members.
    Not actually, the moaning thread is for moaning at anything and everything. I must say there is also a couple of threads for good things, such a members you like.

ReputationRep:
    No simply pointing out that the opinions of 33 members in a sub forum does not
    you know as well as i do, that this poll shows a fairly standard turn out bearing in mind its been up less than 24hrs. a turn out that is likely to a representative of wider concern. as Speciez points out, those of us on the D+D threads are the ones particuarly angered by this as it effects the way we post and use the forum. i contacted Expression with a polite request that he would consider a change in moderation policy for us and review some of our concerns. concerns that had been brought to my attention by a number of people in private. this was rebutted, where i was told that any authority i thought i had was a 'misconception.' and that 'it ISNT going to happen'.

an Siarach not only got banned for criticising mods, he got no prompt explanation. he was told he was facing a 3 day ban and that he should be careful and not be 'an arse' in raising this issue to the rest of us. i feel somewhat reluctant to betray his confidence since i can appreciate he was in a difficult position.
    as a subscriber, you are fully aware of the comical value thread deletion takes where "**** happens" and threads go "because they can".

if the moderators are so busy and cannot cope with such extreme conditions then that is in itself justification for this thread and the petition that Jonatan felt necessary.

ReputationRep:
    it has become moderator policy to seek to silence those who voice concerns, rather than address the issues for the good of the forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Not actually, the moaning thread is for moaning at anything and everything. I must say there is also a couple of threads for good things, such a members you like.
    which as we all know, is not 250+ pages long like the base and hate filled moaning thread of repute.

ReputationRep:
    Can i ask again that all who vote No on the poll explain the reason for their stance.
    It is impossible to respect everyone's views and still have any kind of discapline. You may still get the mods getting rid of spammers, but as for threads that are clearly are offensive to quite a few people, containing things like relgious hatred, racism and anti-semitism, would they be remived in your minds, as they may be a valid point of view, but none the less one which will upset people.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by vienna95)
    which as we all know, is not 250+ pages long like the base and hate filled moaning thread of repute.
    Yup - me moaning about my cold/work/traffic is base and hate filled

I think you'd be surprised at how the moaning thread has changed.

There are many complaints about other members behavior but very insults directed towards members themselves.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by endorf)
    it has become moderator policy to seek to silence those who voice concerns, rather than address the issues for the good of the forum.
    It has been moderator policy to delete threads attacking the moderators and d for longer than I've been a member...

ReputationRep:
    There are many complaints about other members behavior but very insults directed towards members themselves.
    not what i saw. i was insulted several times directly, yet the thread was never edited or deleted. this would not be the case in the general chat forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    They are getting longer, but you must remember that the moaning thread does not simply contain moans about members, we have everything in it, from bad weather to exams, so you should not feel every single post is about members.

I know there are the odd threads about members, I myself found 2 about me, but they were not mindless rage against me, they raised valid points about my behavior and I learnt from them.

ReputationRep:
    It has been moderator policy to delete threads attacking the moderators and d for longer than I've been a member...
    voicing concern and "attacking" are not one and the same. i ask that you consider the use of more appropriate wording next time, as i do not appreciate having words put into my mouth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    It is impossible to respect everyone's views and still have any kind of discapline. You may still get the mods getting rid of spammers, but as for threads that are clearly are offensive to quite a few people, containing things like relgious hatred, racism and anti-semitism, would they be remived in your minds, as they may be a valid point of view, but none the less one which will upset people.
    Thank you for your explanation. Il just say that threads should not be deleted because people happen to find them offensive, as different people inevitably find different things offensive. I believe a thread should be deleted if somebody is mindlessly being, and SEEKING to be offensive(for a user example, WildAmerican constantly appearing and spouting on about the 'jewish conspiracy in the media' and that other fool of many aliases who constantly goes on about how 'all liberals should be killed). For example the thread on eugenics contains what for many would constitute offensive views, however this does not mean that it should be deleted(though i admit,and i dont doubt Gnostic would also, that he often goes out of his way to phrase things in the most provocative manner possible)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.