Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Petition - Sign if you dissaprove of users getting punished for "disagreeing" watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    I myself am easily exhasperated and dont doubt that i can turn obnoxious at times, as to speciez and jonatan ive never seen anything to suggest the behaviour which so aggravates you.
    I did not say it hugely aggrevates me. However, I disagree with it and therefore felt justified in voting that I disaprove of the poll.

The rules Vienna came up with were sent to all frequent users of the forum for approval otherwise they would not go up, this is not arrogance(and i find this accusation of yours particularly ironic, if i remember rightly the first words with which you ever replied to me were 'are you blind stupid or just illiterate?' now tell me, is that how you define courtesy and a lack of arrogance?).
    Do not overestimate my criticism, I am suggesting good intentions are being misexpressed, rather than anything malicious going on. I think drawing on your experience of the forum to create some guidelines to promote civility, combined with some links to avoid repitition, is a fantastic idea (indeed, I helped do something similar on the Oxbridge forum). I just intensely the way Vienna did it, posting rules and commands rather than well explained suggestions. As an examples, rather than "No swearing", "Offensive language only leads away from productive discussion and should be avoided" would be, in my view, preferable.
    Your criticism of my own posting is entirely irrelevant to this discussion. (I don't necessarily disagree with it, though. During my first few weeks as a member I posted some aggressive and occasionally rude messages, and I apologised for this to the moderators at the time)

All those who vote yes need no explanation, they believe that people should not be punished for merely disagreeing with moderators or with the majority opinion on whatever issue. By asking those who voted now to explain their decision i made the assumption that you were not all in favour of a draconian regime where freedom of speech does not exist.
    That is not how the poll is worded. It asks whether you approve of the petition, or not. Nothing to do with draconian regimes. Furthermore, you are validating my complaints of arrogance and use of polls to make a point rather than ask a question when saying those who agree with you do not need to explain their views while insinuating that those who do are minor league fascists opposing freedom of speech.

ReputationRep:
    And who decides what is offensive? As i said earlier if this is the policy we may as well have a vote on what politcal inclination most users follow and rename the forum to reflect this.
    The mods, who must judge potentially offensive posts and take what action they deem suitable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    I just intensely the way Vienna did it, posting rules and commands rather than well explained suggestions.
    i asked a broad selection of the D+D forum. all were in compliance. they suggested changes which i duly made. i then posted the guidelines and asked for peoples comments on more than one occassion. you never responded. the sticky is there, it is open to suggestion. you never responded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    well i was referring to your following handywork, and lets not get started on any of the other threads.

"F**king Gnostic - what a gimp...starting to believe him and Hewins are one and the same

I repped hunny with the comment "We all know it's you dazya" - signed don of course

I've already don'ed her...I turned her grey

hehehe - she asked for it - I only pagiarised someone elses joke

Look at her sig now. I wonder how that happened.

She's obviously in need of being taken down a peg or ten...
    She's obviously a very insecure person if she's feeling the need to shout about her minimal achievements so loudly

Done - or should I say DON

he's a ****

and as for mr narb - contacting universities is pointless - he's an ignorant ****

The loser posts made me laugh

He's such a **** -

endorf=idiot

It'll probably take him 10 days to get back into the green (if he has a serious attitude change that is)....by which time don will be ready to srtike

hehehehe - that'll learn him to mess with the mafia

I have no problem proclaiming myself superior to that spammy little <expletive deleted>

And (thanks to 2776) shortly after this post a non-subscriber noticed one of the edited reasons.

Consider the idea binned

An alternative to the deletion reasons for adding comments to a discussion - it looks like non-subs can't see the edited reasons either (a bit less supicious than blank posts appearing and...

Dunno - but he's whoring in the "New to UKL" thread to be turned green again...****!

I'm pleased to say I've given him a nice grey gem (which is a shame because I was considering pos repping someone for a short time....why do these idiots always distract me!)
    f*cking disgusting. i would consider that hate filled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    That is not how the poll is worded. It asks whether you approve of the petition, or not. Nothing to do with draconian regimes. Furthermore, you are validating my complaints of arrogance and use of polls to make a point rather than ask a question when saying those who agree with you do not need to explain their views while insinuating that those who do are minor league fascists opposing freedom of speech.
    A mere technicality as the subject of the poll is the title of the thread. As to your insinuations of MY apparent insinuations, i did not suggest that all who voted no were :

(Original post by H&E)
    minor league fascists opposing freedom of speech.
    I asked the question because i assumed that the above was not true for all of you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    The mods, who must judge potentially offensive posts and take what action they deem suitable.
    which they clearly are not doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    vienna your inbox is full
    try again now.

(Original post by Pencil Queen)

After Mr Hewins performance last week I'm convinced you're not one and the same...you're far nicer and you've even been known to make me laugh when you're not waffling on about "fuzzy wuzzys" or LSE/UCL etc
    Did I miss a little squabble between you two? Oh well, at least I’ll be able to sleep well tonight knowing that you know that Hewins and I are not one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    I did not say it hugely aggrevates me. However, I disagree with it and therefore felt justified in voting that I disaprove of the poll.
    I am at least glad you were prepared to defend your actions.
    (Original post by H&E)
    Do not overestimate my criticism, I am suggesting good intentions are being misexpressed, rather than anything malicious going on. I think drawing on your experience of the forum to create some guidelines to promote civility, combined with some links to avoid repitition, is a fantastic idea (indeed, I helped do something similar on the Oxbridge forum). I just intensely the way Vienna did it, posting rules and commands rather than well explained suggestions. As an examples, rather than "No swearing", "Offensive language only leads away from productive discussion and should be avoided" would be, in my view, preferable.
    Your criticism of my own posting is entirely irrelevant to this discussion. (I don't necessarily disagree with it, though. During my first few weeks as a member I posted some aggressive and occasionally rude messages, and I apologised for this to the moderators at the time)
    I am sorry we did not consult you as I think your imput would of been very useful, certainly from what I have heard from consulations with other members we would certainly welcome your suggestions. The gudelines/rules were agreed by many members who post regularly with a wide range of views and contributions are welcome from others.
    (Original post by H&E)
    Sorry I really don't understand what question we are meant to be asking here? I certainly more than happy to listen to those who reject the poll and would certainly like to hear their arguements against the wealth of evidence that has been put on this thread.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    id say 'Who should be the next moderator?' thread on the subscriber forum is rather one-sided dont you think?
    You mean the one attached - the one that had a whole 20 posts and hasn't been looked at since May?

not to mention the hand-in-hand repping and jibing that goes on.

at the very least, some of the abuse of privileges that goes on is not moderated.

i) organised negative repping
    ii) rep whoring
    iii) deletion of posts to make comments at non-subscribers

etc etc etc.
    i) the DON thing generally consists of members directing other subscribers towards "bad/neg rep worthy" behaivior. It's by no means organised.

ii) personally although I have seen some of this happening in the subscriber forum Ollie's moderation of forum 51 and his dislike of rep whoring has consigned what there is of it to pms.

iii) the novelty of this appears to have worn off...I've not seen anyone do it in a few months now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    In this case a pre requisite for being a mod should be that they are constantly involved in whatever forum they are assigned as they may actually have something approaching an understanding of what consitutes 'offensive' material for the forum users. Alternatively it would probably be easier were all material bar blatant spamming allowed, anything racist/bigoted etc could simply be ignored should the users wish to do so.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by endorf)
    f*cking disgusting. i would consider that hate filled.
    Which doesn't really surprise me...it's not like you're my biggest fan anyway :rolleyes:

And you can't say that the sentiment was never returned from your end...

I must admit that I do find it rather amusing that Vienna is trying to usurp Pencil Queen as Nerd Queen of UKL.

No matter how boring you are Vienna (and you really are) nevertheless Pencil Queen’s almighty mastery of endless statistics will always ensure that she, and not you mon froggie, is the Nerd Queen of UKL.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Just an LSE guy)
    Did I miss a little squabble between you two? Oh well, at least I’ll be able to sleep well tonight knowing that you know that Hewins and I are not one.
    He was getting quite confused - he seemed to think the attacks on his bad manners and attitude were attacks on LSEs quality of research :rolleyes:

All appears to have gone quiet in that corner of the world for a while though.

You might want to look up BIDDLESTICKS though - another LSE-er with a similar outlook on life to yourself and Mr Hewins

ReputationRep:
    i asked a broad selection of the D+D forum. all were in compliance. they suggested changes which i duly made. i then posted the guidelines and asked for peoples comments on more than one occassion. you never responded. the sticky is there, it is open to suggestion. you never responded.
    I don't see how this relevant to my vote on this poll? Is it just a random observation?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I must admit that I do find it rather amusing that Vienna is trying to usurp Pencil Queen as Nerd Queen of UKL.

No matter how boring you are Vienna (and you really are) nevertheless Pencil Queen’s almighty mastery of endless statistics will always ensure that she, and not you mon froggie, is the Nerd Queen of UKL.
    tut tut Gnostic - don't you know that I've now been christened "Biro Nerd"

ReputationRep:

Yeah but you is a nob
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Shane_Filan)
    Yeah but you is a nob
    :confused:

Please don't come to my "defence"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    :confused:

Please don't come to my "defence"
    Woz not but he iz a nob

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    I don't see how this relevant to my vote on this poll? Is it just a random observation?
    Dont be so pedantic. You complained of the apparent arrogance displayed by Vienna and others of the forum ,she has just rebuked this claim.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.