Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I want to do a Speech and Language Therapy post graduate course when i finish my linguistics undergrad.
    However, ever since I mentioned my desire to pursue this at postgrad my parents have been consistently mentioning my lisp.
    I've spoken to some class mates who say its barely noticeable and they don't think it will make a difference.
    Just to be sure though, does anyone know if this will impact my chances of getting onto the postgrad? Obviously there is usually an interview process, so i'm a bit worried about it now.

Thanks

I would be amazed if it made any difference whatsoever personally. I can't see how it would interfere with the job.

ReputationRep:
    As a current SLT student, I'd be very surprised if it went against you. We're taught to encourage and support people with communication/speech differences to do whatever they want to do, so it would be quite hypocritical to count a lisp against you.

I've also known a SLT with a stammer who was perfectly professional and it didn't make a difference to how well they did the job.
    Hope that's reassuring!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trowe87)
    Hi all,

I want to do a Speech and Language Therapy post graduate course when i finish my linguistics undergrad.
    However, ever since I mentioned my desire to pursue this at postgrad my parents have been consistently mentioning my lisp.
    I've spoken to some class mates who say its barely noticeable and they don't think it will make a difference.
    Just to be sure though, does anyone know if this will impact my chances of getting onto the postgrad? Obviously there is usually an interview process, so i'm a bit worried about it now.

Thanks
    A stammer does not necessarily prevent you from producing a sound like a lisp so eve1293's anecdote is not really appropriate. The reality is that the job involves a lot of speech work and a lisp could affect how well you you do it if it was severe (i.e. you are expected to provide a model for patients to copy).

Having said that, the only people whose opinion really matters are the admissions tutors. I would try and contact them before you apply. They would be able to put your mind at rest. It cannot really work against you. They either save you the trouble of applying or they say go ahead and you make yourself known before the interviews. It is a win win!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how severe it is myself. Most people just say they don't really notice it. But obviously them saying that means that they are aware that I have one.
    I'm doing Linguistics so will have a chat with my tutor as he teaches on the Speech and Language Sciences and Speech Therapy degrees too, so hopefully he should know.

Thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.