Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I am a 21 year old Dutch male, and I am planning on moving over to the UK start of next year.
    To start a career I think an apprenticeship would be a really good thing for me.
    However, I am still not quite sure on what an apprenticeship in the UK is and how to go about getting one.
    For example:
    - Do I need to be enrolled in a course, and then apply for apprenticeships that relate to said course?
    - Can I even apply for apprenticeships without having any kind of university degree?
    - I am not clear on what the difference is between a college and a university etc.; where would I apply for working/learning courses?
    - How long would an apprenticeship generally take to finish?

My goal is to learn a trade whilst at the same time earning a living. My interests, career wise, would be in Freight Forwarding or Interpreting and Translating, or similar. (I want to utilise my languages.)

Thanks for any and all future advice,

Rens
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    https://www.gov.uk/topic/further-edu...pprenticeships

https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ticeships.aspx

- Do I need to be enrolled in a course, and then apply for apprenticeships that relate to said course? No
    - Can I even apply for apprenticeships without having any kind of university degree? Yes they will mostly be for people not going on to HE.
    - I am not clear on what the difference is between a college and a university etc.; where would I apply for working/learning courses? As far as apprenticeships are concerned the employer may let you out for day release so you cna obtain the qualification they want.
    - How long would an apprenticeship generally take to finish? 1-2years

If you want to do an apprenticeship then be aware the quality of them varies, so you will have to do research. Bigger companies tend to offer more structured training as well as additional qualifcations. make sure its not just cheap labour. Most businesses will do them so i suggest identifying companies youd like to work for, going to their website and see if they offer them.

Look at businesse which can make use of your languages or freight forward a lot. Shipping ccompanies maybe ones in the Netherlands and see if they have branches in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Hey 999tigger,

Thanks a lot for your post, it is very helpful. I will definitely be looking around for companies I'd like to work for.
    I hadn't considered looking at Dutch companies that might have overseas branches yet, that is a really good tip.

Cheers, Rens

ReputationRep:
    Apprenticeships, put simply, are earn while you learn.
    You do a job, and incorporated in to that is your learning.

As for the difference between college and university, university is where you do your degrees (Bsc, Ba, Msc, Ma, etc.) College tends to be lower level qualifications (A-Levels, NVQs) etc.

If you're interested in apprenticeships as tigger said, find the company (or companies) you would like to work for and then apply for apprenticeship vacancies through them. They'll sort your courses out, and teach you what they want you to know.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, thanks for clearing everything up a bit for me.
    It's just that things over there are just a wee bit different from how they work here in Holland.
    It's good to be a bit prepared for little changes like that not to run into any unpleasant surprises when I get round to moving across the pond.

I will definitely keep the advice in mind when I do.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.