Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is a young woman who knits a turn-off? Watch

Hi,

I shouldn't care what people think but it's getting to me again. My uncle pointed it out and said knitting is 'for spinsters' and 'old ladies' and that I'll never get a boyfriend because one of my main hobbies is knitting.

No I don't wear old fashioned things I tend to make modern patterns with designer yarns and I make a lot of gifts and items to donate to charities. It just helps me relax.

Honest opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Knitting is a hobby; knitting is a skill; knitting is cool.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,

I shouldn't care what people think but it's getting to me again. My uncle pointed it out and said knitting is 'for spinsters' and 'old ladies' and that I'll never get a boyfriend because one of my main hobbies is knitting.

No I don't wear old fashioned things I tend to make modern patterns with designer yarns and I make a lot of gifts and items to donate to charities. It just helps me relax.

Honest opinions?
    I really want to learn so badly! Teach me!! And no heck I'd find it cool if I had a friend who knew how to knit. I'm a girl though so idk if you wanted my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    As a straight man, I can't see what's wrong with you enjoying knitting. If anything, it's just a cool skill for you to show people.

I guess far too many people are just close-minded though, and insist on stereotyping everyone for their hobbies /: (I don't knit myself though, in case you were wondering. I can't even sew, and I know knitting's on an entire other level than sewing)

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I'd find that cool.

You should be warned, though - my grandmother has weird crooked fingers from having knitted a lot her whole life, so don't overdo it.

ReputationRep:
    Let me get this straight.

A young woman who enjoys something as a hobby and even uses that hobby to aid charities is somehow undesirable because of that? What in the world?

Please stop listening to this stereotyping relic of a person who has told you that and enjoy your peaceful, helpful hobby as much as you damn want to. When the right person comes along, they will be glad you're doing something as interesting as that, not be discouraged by it.

Knitting is such a glamorous thing to do.

Audrey Hepburn would do it to relax between shots, (her character Holly Golightly does it too in Breakfast at Tiffany's)

As did Marilyn Monroe, and many other actresses from that era of Hollywood I'm sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,

Honest opinions?
    No, I am 16 I love knitting and I have been doing it since I was 14. Don't listen to your uncle. Yes, I tend to make those sorts of things as well. Knitting is my main hobby too. I have always wanted to knit for charity, I just haven't got around to doing it yet. I found out about this charity called knit-a-square I think, I will probably do that in the future. Trust me it is not a thing for spinsters and old ladies that is such a stereotype, I have a knitting club at my school and I know lots of people who knit and only one is an old lady. Don't give up on it. Please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazzyboy)
    As a straight man, I can't see what's wrong with you enjoying knitting. If anything, it's just a cool skill for you to show people.

I guess far too many people are just close-minded though, and insist on stereotyping everyone for their hobbies /: (I don't knit myself though, in case you were wondering. I can't even sew, and I know knitting's on an entire other level than sewing)
    Knitting is not too hard to pick up once you get started, trust me it looks much harder than it is.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.