Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I know that the title suggests a very common problem but I am just struggling so hard to study because I feel like I know everything and do not need to study. How do I keep my ego in check and also focus on my studies at the same time?

I'm having seriously conflicted thoughts. Thinking that doing these exams which I feel are so easy is in itself demeaning to me. I know I sound delusional but I'm really not. I do not understand why I am so messed up but I definitely need help. My ego prevents me from seeing things how they really are. I did my Biology paper the other day and it was so easy that I actually felt insulted. I thought to myself that this paper was so easy that there will be no clear distinction between me and the other people. This really annoyed me because I am not willing to accept that I am like other people. I consider myself the best.. So clearly I have a huge ego, and it is really taking its toll on me.

Okay this is getting pretty offtopic. I need tips on how to rid myself of this huge ego that is still intact with me and haunts while simultaneously study and not get pissed when I score great marks on past paper questions.

Another thing, I sit with my legs on the chair (not crossed leg, just sitting on the chair with my legs), it helps me focus so much better.. but they never let me do this in the exam hall and this really affects me as I am not in my comfort position when doing the exam (affects my conc.) and my back hurts sometimes during the exam because of looking too closely to the exam paper (my attempt at focusing). The people on this board are extremely nice and I really hope that I can be helped.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly the same issue...

ReputationRep:
    Omg I hate you I wish I thought they were that easy...the only things I find easy are Ethics, English lit/lang and geography...which I am hoping to get an A* in, everything else, who knows! How do you remember everything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mpcc2000)
    Omg I hate you I wish I thought they were that easy...the only things I find easy are Ethics, English lit/lang and geography...which I am hoping to get an A* in, everything else, who knows! How do you remember everything?
    The biggest problem is that while exams can be easy, there is no for sure checklist that says:now you are done studying , i need one like this, I'm jealous of everyone who has this.

To memorize things i quit writing down ( though i do with equations sometimes still) and started using memory techniques,which in the memory aspect work better and faster(larger scale mnemonic devices).

That is only in my case and anyone else who does this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mpcc2000)
    I do not.

When you do 5-6 past papers in a row, it is all fresh memory and you are almost at the verge of being able to answer every single question because it has some sort of relevance to older questions from previous past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aoba)
    The biggest problem is that while exams can be easy, there is no for sure checklist that says:now you are done studying , i need one like this, I'm jealous of everyone who has this.

To memorize things i quit writing down ( though i do with equations sometimes still) and started using memory techniques,which in the memory aspect work better and faster(larger scale mnemonic devices).

That is only in my case and anyone else who does this.
    It is nice to have someone in the same boat as you, so I am grateful that you can empathize with me. I do not use the same study techniques (I do not have any study technique) but this seems very interesting to me.

Care to share some of the memory techniques you use? I would like to apply them to my sciences and see for myself how effective they work for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevez2ez)
    It is nice to have someone in the same boat as you, so I am grateful that you can empathize with me. I do not use the same study techniques (I do not have any study technique) but this seems very interesting to me.

Care to share some of the memory techniques you use? I would like to apply them to my sciences and see for myself how effective they work for me.
    Well the memory techniques i use aren't very foreign, they are usually used by professionals in memorization.

They act as a mnemonic devices but the basic principle is like this
    Method 1
    you become conscious of your encoding of memory, assuming you were to memorize a long piece of text you would pick out the important bits of it and place a reminder of a set of objects 1 or 2 across a path in your mind(easier if you know the path). Or alternatively you remember the entire text by associating bits of the text to images you would be able to place along a path you create/know.

These things usually confidently stick and seem like baseless things , but then you know that you have this object in your mind and are able to recall it and remember that its related to this even if you don't remember what it is related to because this is the most obvious thing it would mean. Because this thing you remembered is so abstract it becomes really easy to remember related info
    (any detail) and these images often at times can stick for months without having to be recalled.

Since examples are always better ,I will use my example for the first section of my textbook which is where i experimented with better cases and worser cases, its pretty much rough to have to make a path and make the objects as oppose to make the objects along a path you know, since its a lot of spatial thinking in your head. The reason you use a path is so that you perfectly know the order of things and since its essentially even harder to forget paths you follow..

In my case it was more 2nd rate since i had to make paths
    Made a path on mars where the first thing i would see would be an atom of which protons electrons and neutrons that given i knew there were charges and such and masses which i already had remembered
    proton neutron mass 1.67*10^-^27
    proton electron charge +-1.6*10-^19
    electron mass 9.11*10^-31

the next thing on that very same path was something that seemed like an atomic bomb and i thought of that as atomic number which was proton number as it had a proton stuck to it (what i imagine it to look like anyways)
    Following there i had electrons bounce on an electronic balance(specific charge = charge/mass) * probably the best way to remember this.

Then i had a block of an atom which had an extra set of neutrons on the top , an isotope is a variation of the same element with a different number of neutrons but the same number of protons.

then i had a stone which seemed degraded to remind me of isotopic data, which is because species absorb the carbon-14 in the air and the concentration decreases when they die so therefore you can calculate backwards for how long the species was alive for due to a difference in concentration.

that was the very first section of chapter 1 done which took me less time to learn than it took to type since i was essentially reading the information as i did that sort of mnemonic, but this was a very bad start too because all of these objects were literally in the same place, from there i learned its better to keep a known number of objects preferably less than 5 in a block of space following a path that is different.

These very basic things that had little relevance helped me memorize in order the information associated to that, but having done a lot of this to memorize my textbook in that format I can say that sometimes things such as visualizing a process essentially helps memorize that process (a lot of text and any key points associated to it)

Downfalls with this method is that you have to actually have a basic thing you would assume reminds you of this or seems exactly like this, basically remembering "the" if you were to associate every word...

Not having a path like what i have done is not always ideal its better to use for example the road that you walk on everyday and know 100%

the 2nd point on the downfalls means that to use this with numbers you must have memorized something that reminds you of that number something bizarre like believing a duck looks like 4 so if you were to memorize a 4 you would also have a duck in your mind but this requires having memorized 4 to look like a duck much earlier or even memorized something that has no relationship 28=red hair?
    This method is by far the most effective alone.

Method 2. which really i don't like much but it works applies spreading your to memorize information.

if you were to read text for example instead of reading all of it you would read enough to recall at the moment then you would do something that does not involve doing anything related to text reading for a little time (say 1 minute) like watching a video. Then you would attempt to recall it and if you fail you would re read the information then you would repeat this however if you manage to successfully recall the time increases and you move on to the next piece of info, before the next recall (usually a bit of practice to know your forgetting and recall times), this way you gradually drag all the information to be remembered for longer, ideal if you have a set of things to remember word for word.

Method 3.
    Similar to method 1 with the difference that instead of focusing on paths you focus on rooms.

As for what i do, i combine them all paths leading to rooms with sets of information which i may go over just to ensure i won't forget it once in about 3-6 hrs since its really hard to forget paths you follow and rooms along them.

Method 1,3 don't usually require you to re read information which is why they are effective , additionally depending on how you do it the only thing that more information hinders is your stamina.

Some bits of theory: Its hard to recall similar things, this works effectively by providing many abstract connections to things you remember to recall them better.
    After some time you can even forget these paths and objects you make but the information will still be there long term memory storage works after all since you have kept the information for so long.
    Because this is always abstract there is not really a limit to how much you can remember in a day but there is however in how much you can recall because recalling information the size of a textbook can take hours from experience, so i advise to not do all of that at the end unless you want a headache.
    connections in general can follow directions if you think of this very logically you can start doing things like connecting dots on paper and calling a dot a memory of something and you will soon realize that not only is that split up into many sectors or that text is essentially all the same on its own but that you can see what you actually relate to this, the memory technique 1,3 works by linking information to relevant or irrelevant things which are abstract and easier to recall.

Lastly because of the nature of this method you can actually know when you have forgotten something and recall all your information and say this is what i know as oppose to remembering it based on questions being asked.

================================ ======================
    Time: Beginners usually take double/triple the time it takes them to read something to remember it provided they are able to use the method.
    When you get better it can in fact take less time than it takes to read but this stuff is also tiring in a new way.

This is such a long piece of text............ early apologies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aoba)
    Well the memory techniques i use aren't very foreign, they are usually used by professionals in memorization.

They act as a mnemonic devices but the basic principle is like this
    Method 1
    you become conscious of your encoding of memory, assuming you were to memorize a long piece of text you would pick out the important bits of it and place a reminder of a set of objects 1 or 2 across a path in your mind(easier if you know the path). Or alternatively you remember the entire text by associating bits of the text to images you would be able to place along a path you create/know.

These things usually confidently stick and seem like baseless things , but then you know that you have this object in your mind and are able to recall it and remember that its related to this even if you don't remember what it is related to because this is the most obvious thing it would mean. Because this thing you remembered is so abstract it becomes really easy to remember related info
    (any detail) and these images often at times can stick for months without having to be recalled.

Since examples are always better ,I will use my example for the first section of my textbook which is where i experimented with better cases and worser cases, its pretty much rough to have to make a path and make the objects as oppose to make the objects along a path you know, since its a lot of spatial thinking in your head. The reason you use a path is so that you perfectly know the order of things and since its essentially even harder to forget paths you follow..

In my case it was more 2nd rate since i had to make paths
    Made a path on mars where the first thing i would see would be an atom of which protons electrons and neutrons that given i knew there were charges and such and masses which i already had remembered
    proton neutron mass 1.67*10^-^27
    proton electron charge +-1.6*10-^19
    electron mass 9.11*10^-31

the next thing on that very same path was something that seemed like an atomic bomb and i thought of that as atomic number which was proton number as it had a proton stuck to it (what i imagine it to look like anyways)
    Following there i had electrons bounce on an electronic balance(specific charge = charge/mass) * probably the best way to remember this.

Then i had a block of an atom which had an extra set of neutrons on the top , an isotope is a variation of the same element with a different number of neutrons but the same number of protons.

then i had a stone which seemed degraded to remind me of isotopic data, which is because species absorb the carbon-14 in the air and the concentration decreases when they die so therefore you can calculate backwards for how long the species was alive for due to a difference in concentration.

that was the very first section of chapter 1 done which took me less time to learn than it took to type since i was essentially reading the information as i did that sort of mnemonic, but this was a very bad start too because all of these objects were literally in the same place, from there i learned its better to keep a known number of objects preferably less than 5 in a block of space following a path that is different.

These very basic things that had little relevance helped me memorize in order the information associated to that, but having done a lot of this to memorize my textbook in that format I can say that sometimes things such as visualizing a process essentially helps memorize that process (a lot of text and any key points associated to it)

Downfalls with this method is that you have to actually have a basic thing you would assume reminds you of this or seems exactly like this, basically remembering "the" if you were to associate every word...

Not having a path like what i have done is not always ideal its better to use for example the road that you walk on everyday and know 100%

the 2nd point on the downfalls means that to use this with numbers you must have memorized something that reminds you of that number something bizarre like believing a duck looks like 4 so if you were to memorize a 4 you would also have a duck in your mind but this requires having memorized 4 to look like a duck much earlier or even memorized something that has no relationship 28=red hair?
    This method is by far the most effective alone.

Method 2. which really i don't like much but it works applies spreading your to memorize information.

if you were to read text for example instead of reading all of it you would read enough to recall at the moment then you would do something that does not involve doing anything related to text reading for a little time (say 1 minute) like watching a video. Then you would attempt to recall it and if you fail you would re read the information then you would repeat this however if you manage to successfully recall the time increases and you move on to the next piece of info, before the next recall (usually a bit of practice to know your forgetting and recall times), this way you gradually drag all the information to be remembered for longer, ideal if you have a set of things to remember word for word.

Method 3.
    Similar to method 1 with the difference that instead of focusing on paths you focus on rooms.

As for what i do, i combine them all paths leading to rooms with sets of information which i may go over just to ensure i won't forget it once in about 3-6 hrs since its really hard to forget paths you follow and rooms along them.

Method 1,3 don't usually require you to re read information which is why they are effective , additionally depending on how you do it the only thing that more information hinders is your stamina.

Some bits of theory: Its hard to recall similar things, this works effectively by providing many abstract connections to things you remember to recall them better.
    After some time you can even forget these paths and objects you make but the information will still be there long term memory storage works after all since you have kept the information for so long.
    Because this is always abstract there is not really a limit to how much you can remember in a day but there is however in how much you can recall because recalling information the size of a textbook can take hours from experience, so i advise to not do all of that at the end unless you want a headache.
    connections in general can follow directions if you think of this very logically you can start doing things like connecting dots on paper and calling a dot a memory of something and you will soon realize that not only is that split up into many sectors or that text is essentially all the same on its own but that you can see what you actually relate to this, the memory technique 1,3 works by linking information to relevant or irrelevant things which are abstract and easier to recall.

Lastly because of the nature of this method you can actually know when you have forgotten something and recall all your information and say this is what i know as oppose to remembering it based on questions being asked.

================================ ======================
    Time: Beginners usually take double/triple the time it takes them to read something to remember it provided they are able to use the method.
    When you get better it can in fact take less time than it takes to read but this stuff is also tiring in a new way.

This is such a long piece of text............ early apologies.
    Thank you very much for taking your time out to help a fellow student. You do not need to aplogize, this is more than detailed and gave me a very clear idea about the methods you use. You listed the downsides as well & it is extremely well written enabling me to understand exactly what you mean. It is greatly appreciated for you to share these.. I am extremely thankful to you. I'mma go try method 2 right now itself!

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevez2ez)
    I do not.

When you do 5-6 past papers in a row, it is all fresh memory and you are almost at the verge of being able to answer every single question because it has some sort of relevance to older questions from previous past papers.
    I do past papers all the time but I feel like I do not know enough information in the first place to do them...haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.