Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm just starting Advanced Higher English and Advanced Higher Modern Studies and am currently pondering over possible dissertations. What are you guys planning to do/What have you done previously?

All help greatly appreciated,

Ryan

BTW I'm new!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW)
    Hey guys,

I'm just starting Advanced Higher English and Advanced Higher Modern Studies and am currently pondering over possible dissertations. What are you guys planning to do/What have you done previously?

All help greatly appreciated,
    For English I did a comparitive study of the role of landscape in Howards End by Forster, Sunset Song by Gibbon and Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck. Basically I read grapes of wrath, decided that I wanted to do it, then was advised to read sunset song as it contains similar themes and it all sprang up from there and the topic wasn't too difficult. In modern studies I was doing the comparitive politics section. My dissertation was called 'Voter Apathy: why do young people not vote?' and the hypothesis was something like 'voter apathy among young people in traditional modes of politics is a direct consequence of the third way.' However, there wasn't really enough information on young people, so my dissertation was fairly crap. I think for modern studies you have to research your topic quite a bit before you decide on it, while in english you can make it up as you go along really.

ReputationRep:
    Ah cool, thanks for your input.

By any chance can you remember what other people in your class did?

Would you be kind enough to email me your dissertation to see what a final one looks like? I ask this, as our school has never taught advanced higher english before and consequently do not have any previous pupils work. I'd greatly appreciate if you'd be willing to send it to me.

If so, e-mail: [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    Heya Ryan
    Welcome to this little blue and white corner of UKL .
    I'm the mad Hug Whore for the record

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Heya Ryan
    Welcome to this little blue and white corner of UKL .
    I'm the mad Hug Whore for the record
    "Hug Whore"? - Do elaborate lol

Thanks for that lovely welcome darlin.

You at Uni or School? - Age etc?

ReputationRep:
    For English I did the importance of setting in time and place in "The Blood of Others" by Simone de Beauvoir and "Iron in the Soul" by Jean Paul Sartre.

For Modern Studies my topic was The European Convention on Human Rights and whether it truly protected the rights of asylum seekers in the United Kingdom.

A lot of people in my class stuck to dissertation topics surrounding our coursework on Law and Order and did comparative systems of prison between America and the UK etc but a few people, myself included chose their own topic - although harder in the beginning it does end up being a bit different and perhaps more interesting for the marker to read. Probably not mine though!

ReputationRep:
    hey i am also doing advanced higher english next year and am dreading the dissertation- looks like it will take up so much time. I'm thinking about doing a comparison of "Nineteen Eighty Four" and "Brave New World" or else some other novels all by Orwell. Do you think that would be any good? If anyone else has done this I would really like their opinion. Thanks alot xx

ReputationRep:
    Advanced Higher English... those were the good days :rolleyes:
    Right, I did a comparison of good/evil in a wartime setting, using Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Private Angelo and All Quiet on the Western Front.
    I know of one friend who (I think!) compared Bravo Two Zero, Catch 22 and All Quiet on the Western Front - something about war as well, involved futility I believe.
    Had another friend who used 1984, Brave New World and... damn, can't remember, er... might've been the Fahrenheit 451, comparing perfection in the future.

I can't send you my actual dissertation as I didn't keep a copy, but if I could offer any decent advice it would be: Use a very definite broad structure, I had three main sections (link sentences between though, obviously) and it worked really well; try to put down some of your own thoughts, rather than York Advanced Notes or the like - teachers tend to have read them all!
    Basically if you like at least a couple of the books you're doing, well enough to read them thoroughly and understand the underlying themes, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    The dissertation is daunting, but like any big project, the key to not letting it overwhelm you is doing a little bit often so you can get on top of it and feel in control. Be ready to ask your teacher their opinion about what you're doing - they will be able to tell you what's overdone and what is not. Good luck - it's a big task but not impossible to get done in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW)
    Ah cool, thanks for your input.

By any chance can you remember what other people in your class did?
    I was in her class. I did a comparative study on the portrayal of women and the way in which they challenge their societies in 19th century literature. I used Madame Bovary (which is basically how I chose my topic, because I love that book), The Portrait of a Lady and The Scarlet Letter.

Other dissertations included:

Language of the gutter - Scottish fiction based heavily on Irvine Welsh/Trainspotting
    Feminism in the 19th century - Wuthering Heights and such
    The portrayal of madness - The Bell Jar/Scar Culture/The Trick is to Keep Breathing

One girl did something about different forms of communication (I think some of her books had been written as if they were being told by a tape recorder) and some other guy did existentialism.

I all depends on whether you want to do three books by the same author and compare them or whether you want to do three different authors and compare their themes.

I hope this was of some help.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, are you allowed to use the novel you did for your SSL?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for all your good advice.Might not be as bad as I thought. I better go get reading xx

ReputationRep:
    Oooh a newbie!
    Hello toast

ReputationRep:
    Hey - can anyone give any ideas for possible dissertations in english. I'm really struggling to come up with an idea. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Advice on how to go about the english dissertation would also be gratefully recieved.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you could start with some books that you've read recently and could be a possible starting point for your dissertation. List them here and I'm sure we'll do our best to help you kick start.

ReputationRep:
    I have been reading political autobiographys lately lol so that's not much use.

What did you guys do and people within your class?

ReputationRep:
    What do you actually do in Advanced Higher English?

Im thinking of taking it in 6th year, but I have no idea what the course outline / exams are like.

ReputationRep:
    lol, aren't you just sitting your Highers' at the moment?

Don't fret over what subjects to take for 6th year right now as circumstances inevitably change.

If you want info on AH English do a google on it.

ReputationRep:
    Advanced Higher English consists of a dissertation to be sent away to the SQA away in April, either a creative writing folio of two pieces (different genre) to be sent away to the SQA or a textual analysis (done in the exam) and an essay on a writer/poet/playwright whose work you'll have studied in class over the course of the year.

But more importantly, it's a year away for you - concentrate on those Highers first!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.