The Student Room Group

3C and 4C Government and Politics 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mars222
What are some reasons for why the VP is not powerful/has not got an important role?
Also does anyone have any examples of where members of Congress clearly took into account local issues in their state/congressional district over their political party?
Thank you x

Susan Collins (Senator from Maine) was one of just 3 republicans who voted for the fiscal stimulus because in return she secured funding for health centres in her state x
I'm reallly dreading 4C tomorrow. I haven't done nearly as much Politics revision as I should have. And the best/most ideal 45 marker, on the Constitution, was on last year's paper, so we definitely won't get that. I'm really hoping there's a question on imperial presidents.
Original post by alleseer98
Susan Collins (Senator from Maine) was one of just 3 republicans who voted for the fiscal stimulus because in return she secured funding for health centres in her state x

She also voted in favour for the Manchin Toomey amendment as Maine generally support background checks on guns
Reply 423
What are the chances constitutional rights will come up? There's so much to remember for it?

Thanks
Reply 424
Original post by alleseer98

Thank you! :smile:
Also this is probably a really silly question (majorly panicking over tomorrow's exam) but

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2016/06/09/senators-stage-last-minute-budget-fight-over-the-defense-bill/
https://www.rt.com/usa/346698-senate-passes-defense-bill/

Is this in relation to the same bill? Seems pretty strange to me :s-smilie:
Reply 425
I'll put some predictions up in a bit for some questions
Do you think its fine if I revise Congress and Presidency mostly, and only look over Supreme Court/ Constitution? We're running out of time :frown:
Reply 427
Original post by Mugiiwara
Do you think its fine if I revise Congress and Presidency mostly, and only look over Supreme Court/ Constitution? We're running out of time :frown:

I'm in the exact same position. I'm gonna look over Congress, SC and a bit of constitution and only plan essays for presidency- stuff about presidential power, lame duck presidency etc
Original post by darkskies
I'm in the exact same position. I'm gonna look over Congress, SC and a bit of constitution and only plan essays for presidency- stuff about presidential power, lame duck presidency etc

You might want to look over them for 15 markers because SC isn't predicted to come up for a 45 marker so there might be two 15 markers on it (and they're normally decent questions as well)
Original post by Bubble486
Good guessing! Any predictions for the next one?

Not specific ones no, sorry :frown: I have two teachers and the 4C one hasn't given any predictions :smile:
Reply 430
does anyone have an example for why committee chairmen are too powerful and how recent appointments of them have been partisan?? (for the question what is the role of committee chairmen and why have they been the subject of criticism)
I feel like this content is so much easier to remember than unit 3 :laugh:
My plan is to plan a lot of past 15 markers for SC (since it's highly unlikely to be a 45) and also a few for constitution and then plan a few 45s for presidency and Congress
I hope they don't change their patterns and throw a SC 45 in :/
Yea that's you're right it'll be a good idea to look over SC a bit more but I really don't plan to do the Constitution then :smile:
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
Not specific ones no, sorry :frown: I have two teachers and the 4C one hasn't given any predictions :smile:

Oh well :smile: Thanks anyway x
Original post by belagl
does anyone have an example for why committee chairmen are too powerful and how recent appointments of them have been partisan?? (for the question what is the role of committee chairmen and why have they been the subject of criticism)

Max Baucus was a v powerful committee chairmen (chairman of the Senate finance committee) and was fundamental to bringing about Obamacare. Thad Cochran was also the chairmen for appropriations and managed to increased the annual budget to $14.6 billion
Original post by Mugiiwara
Yea that's you're right it'll be a good idea to look over SC a bit more but I really don't plan to do the Constitution then :smile:

I don't mind the constitution when it's questions like "what is the separation of powers and does it help/hinder" and "how does the constitution protect rights/prevent tyranny of the majority" but when it's questions of federalism I tend to avoid them :smile:
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
I don't mind the constitution when it's questions like "what is the separation of powers and does it help/hinder" and "how does the constitution protect rights/prevent tyranny of the majority" but when it's questions of federalism I tend to avoid them :smile:

I guess some Constitution questions are good but not enough time :frown:
Reply 437
Original post by MelissaaC
Max Baucus was a v powerful committee chairmen (chairman of the Senate finance committee) and was fundamental to bringing about Obamacare. Thad Cochran was also the chairmen for appropriations and managed to increased the annual budget to $14.6 billion

thank you- do you also by any chance have an example of pigeon holing???
Original post by belagl
thank you- do you also by any chance have an example of pigeon holing???

Apparently Bush's clear skies programme was pigeonholed several times by the Democrats

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/07/opinion/clear-skies-rip.html here is an article on it
(edited 7 years ago)
If the point is separation of powers (on a 15 marker) , would "Obama had to leave the Senate in 2008" good enough for an example? Proving that the three branches are separate? I always use it as an example for that point in any question and now it doesn't seem good enough haahah

Quick Reply

Latest