The Student Room Group

3C and 4C Government and Politics 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by doctorwhofan98
Yeah, it's unfortunate, but hopefully the 15s will be nice. I'm dreading them though - if they asked about protection of, say, the First Amendment only in the Roberts Court, for example, I don't know what I'd do. The cases I know are across many decades.

I don't think they could be THAT specific oh boy, if they were that would just be pure evil

I don't even know what to think for this exam, I'm so tired I just want exams to be over :frown:
For the bargainer-in-chief 45 marker would you guys just look at the President's power and assess the extent to which the President's power is just persuasion?

If not then what sort of points would you make?
Original post by Tezcatlipoca12
For the bargainer-in-chief 45 marker would you guys just look at the President's power and assess the extent to which the President's power is just persuasion?

yeh i dont get it either! !

Look above I asked the same question like 2 pages back :smile:

Also guys its good we got some theory, but what happens when you can't think of examples. How bad will it affect your grades to forget examples?
Original post by Mugiiwara
Look above I asked the same question like 2 pages back :smile:

Also guys its good we got some theory, but what happens when you can't think of examples. How bad will it affect your grades to forget examples?

As long as you have the thesis behind it actually naming it does matter but you wont loose many marks. The examiner wants to see your knowledge so as long as you explain you point you will be fine! good luck:smile: im pooing myself for it!!!
Original post by willroberts98
As long as you have the thesis behind it actually naming it does matter but you wont loose many marks. The examiner wants to see your knowledge so as long as you explain you point you will be fine! good luck:smile: im pooing myself for it!!!

Haha that's good to know! :biggrin: I'm scared too you're not alone!!!
Reply 546
What are constitutional rights and how are they enforced?

How would you answer that?
Thanks guys! Really need help
Reply 547
Could someone suggest 4 key points for imperial presidency, I know the threat of Imperial presidency has decreased. But Donald Trump IF (highly unlikely) can override Nixon as being one of the most imperial presidents.
Original post by darkskies
What are constitutional rights and how are they enforced?

How would you answer that?
Thanks guys! Really need help

when you think of the constitutional rights think what you get from the constitution! your main points will be amendments 1 to 10 and 13, 14 &15

They are enforced and protected by the supreme court decisions such as US V Lopez on the right to bear arms and how guntanamo bay case which started its shut down but a however to that is that the rights are not protected as it is still open as the court doesnt have the power of enforcement
Original post by mapp
Could someone suggest 4 key points for imperial presidency, I know the threat of Imperial presidency has decreased. But Donald Trump IF (highly unlikely) can override Nixon as being one of the most imperial presidents.

I wouldnt use Trump as you never know he may get in power and be able to do bugger all!!!
Just think of how Nixon tried to claim executive privilege on the water gate scandal tapes, how he tried to silence the protestors and bombed Cambodia and Laos without congresses approval (this caused the passing of the war powers act) and also talk about how he's not imperial as he left with the threat of impeachment
Original post by mapp

This link is actually really useful for imperial presidency! I'm just using it now :smile: If someone on here made it, thanks!!
http://ussmokefilledroom.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/imperial-presidency-persuader-in-chief.html
Anyone got any ideas of what could come up!!!!
Original post by millieolivia
yeh i dont get it either! !

Here's a good plan for the power of persuasion essay (near the bottom of the page) http://ussmokefilledroom.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/imperial-presidency-persuader-in-chief.html
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone have a plan on the question of how significant executive orders are?
Original post by romaiseb
Does anyone have a plan on the question of how significant executive orders are?

It's not mine but:

What are ‘executive orders’, and how significant are they for presidential power?

Executive Orders refer to a rule, regulation or order issued by the President to those working for the federal government, which effectively has the same effect as a law.

- Push forward his agenda ( Significant) Executive orders are significant because they allow the President to push forward his agenda and circumvent Congress if they’re being obstructionist. In recent years Congress has become gridlocked and obstructionist, as a result Obama’s agenda on implementing comprehensive immigration reform has had very little success so using executive orders Obama was able to circumvent his agenda on immigration reform in November 2014 which has sought to help 5 million illegal immigrants and Rand Paul referred to it as the actions of a ‘king’ or ‘emperor’.

- They’re not permanent (Insignificant) Executive orders don’t necessarily have long-term effects as the next President can easily over turn them with an executive order of their own. For instance, President Bush in 2001 passed an executive order limiting embryonic stem cell research, upon coming to office Obama signed an executive order repealing Bush’s executive order. So, the president cannot guarantee that his executive order will continue on through to the next presidency and thus, executive orders are limited.

- May not be enacted (Insignificant) Executive Orders sometimes require the agreement of Congress and this can therefore limit the significance of executive orders. For instance, Obama’s 2014 executive order on immigration was heavily reliant on the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), however, as funding at the beginning of the year for the DHS was coming to an end Congress was gridlocked and nearly refused to pass a bill funding the DHS had Congress not passed a bill to fund the DHS Obama’s executive order would have been either scrapped or seriously put on hold. Similarly, recently a federal judge in Texas put Obama’s executive order on hold, refusing Obama’s executive actions to proceed.

- Not in the Constitution (Insignificant) Executive orders are arguably not significant because there is no constitutional provision nor statute that explicitly permits executive orders and therefore, the president is arguably less likely to flaunt about this power as it can come under restraint from other branches of the government such as the Supreme Court who can strike it down if it’s seen as going too far, or it can happen at a local level as war the case with the Texas federal judge refusing to allow Obama’s executive order to go through.
Do anyone reckon that there will be a congress 45 marker on whether congress is a broken branch?
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone have any good examples of signing statements? and what are their significance?
What would I say for: How effective is Congress' oversight of the executive branch?
Original post by qwertyfat
Anyone have any good examples of signing statements? and what are their significance?

Bush used 435 signing statements to reassert his foreign policy control. He issued one on 23rd December 2004 where the statement said that American troops were not allowed to partake with Columbian rebels but Bush said that only he was able to make that decision as commander in chief and nullified the statement
Original post by imaaniee
What would I say for: How effective is Congress' oversight of the executive branch?

Also Obama used a signing statement to justify him deporting Guantanamo members such as Bowe Bergdahl to Qatar without informing the relevant congressional committee (which is the requirement) ad he justified this by saying it was only potentially unconstitutional and that the executive must be able to make "swift" decisions when "conducting negotiations with foreign countries regarding the circumstances of detainee transfers"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending