Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

V974 – Receipts Bill 2016 Watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    37.50%
    On the contrary, No
    43.75%
    Abstain
    18.75%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    V974 – Receipts Bill 2016, TSR Labour Party

An act to reduce paper wastage, and for connected purposes
    1: DEFINITIONS
    (1) A 'receipt' shall be defined as a piece of paper, on which it is implicitly or explicitly confirmed that a purchase of one or more items has taken place.
    (2) A 'self-checkout machine' shall be defined as an automated machine with which, in normal circumstances, one can process and pay for one's shopping without the assistance of another human being.
    2: BANNING OF AUTOMATIC PRINTING OF RECEIPTS
    (1) All human-operated tills shall be required to have the capacity to allow the operator to select whether or not to print a receipt.
    (2) It shall be illegal for a receipt to be written or printed unless a customer has indicated, verbally or otherwise, a desire for a receipt pertaining to their purchase to be written or printed.
    (3) 2: (2) shall apply equally to the writing or printing of receipts by humans, the printing of receipts by human-operated tills and the printing of receipts by self-checkout machines.
    (4) 2: (2) shall not apply where a customer has purchased an item or items worth more than £20 in total, in which case it shall be compulsory for a receipt to be written or printed.
    3: PUNISHMENT
    (1) Persons found in breach of 2(1) shall be liable to a fine of a minimum sum of £50, and companies found in breach of 2 (1) shall be liable to a fine of a minimum sum of £500.
    4: COMMENCEMENT, SHORT TITLE AND EXTENT:
    (1) This act may be cited as the Receipts Act 2016,
    (2) shall extend to the United Kingdom; and
    (3) shall come into force on 1 January 2017.

Notes Googling this surprisingly didn't turn up an exact statistic that was relevant. However, I'm sure everyone can admit to not taking every single receipt they get home, and we have got the next best thing - one of our members who works in a supermarket agreed to do a mini-survey and found that 36% of customers he served on one night either threw their receipt away or asked him not to give it to them, whereupon he then had to throw it away. While obviously not a properly weighted sample, this does give some indication of the extent of the problem.

Change for division: A provision was added making it compulsory for receipts to be printed for purchases worth over £20.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, it is a not an issue that needs solving, I believe the cost of changing the thousands of self-service machines there are to make receipts optional outweigh the cost of receipts, or the environmental impact of a little bit of recyclable paper the receipts are printed on.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    No, it is a not an issue that needs solving, I believe the cost of changing the thousands of self-service machines there are to make receipts optional outweigh the cost of receipts, or the environmental impact of a little bit of recyclable paper the receipts are printed on.
    Much of the changes are more software then hardware orientated, thus reducing the initial cost.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    Much of the changes are more software then hardware orientated, thus reducing the initial cost.
    There will still be a cost in having all of the self-pay tills updated in the 5700 shops there in Britain of the largest supermarkets; when smaller chains such as Waitrose are included the number will be a lot higher.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    So how will 2,2 be done? As someone who works in a shop my manager doesn't watch every transaction I make, nor does he have any record of how many times I (attempt to - I break the card receipt printer a lot) print a receipt.

Also, if I was going to set any limit for a compulsory receipt I would set it at £50 minimum.

So because of these two things it's a nay from me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnightmemories)
    So how will 2,2 be done? As someone who works in a shop my manager doesn't watch every transaction I make, nor does he have any record of how many times I (attempt to - I break the card receipt printer a lot) print a receipt.

Also, if I was going to set any limit for a compulsory receipt I would set it at £50 minimum.

So because of these two things it's a nay from me.
    It is illegal to sell alcohol to underage people despite the fact that not all cashiers are supervised. I don't see a relevant distinction between the two cases.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    It is illegal to sell alcohol to underage people despite the fact that not all cashiers are supervised. I don't see a relevant distinction between the two cases.
    Yes but how would you prove that they wanted a receipt? Like with alcohol you can ask to see their I'd and let's face it, some are fake.

It's not like you get a written signature from someone if they want a receipt. And honestly, that's ridiculous.

The person who wrote this bill has probably never worked in a shop. They have no clue how a simple question like this can cause problems. If someone wants a receipt when they pay by cash in my store, I have to spend a extra minute or so printing one. That extra minute means that I can get moaned at for slowing the queue down. Because that extra minute means that the shop doesn't meet its targets for wait time because you have to ask someone if they want a receipt.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but how would you prove that they wanted a receipt? Like with alcohol you can ask to see their I'd and let's face it, some are fake.

It's not like you get a written signature from someone if they want a receipt. And honestly, that's ridiculous.

The person who wrote this bill has probably never worked in a shop. They have no clue how a simple question like this can cause problems. If someone wants a receipt when they pay by cash in my store, I have to spend a extra minute or so printing one. That extra minute means that I can get moaned at for slowing the queue down. Because that extra minute means that the shop doesn't meet its targets for wait time because you have to ask someone if they want a receipt.
    I'm sure shops will adjust their KPIs. Frankly, it's somewhat unlikely that violation would be discovered often, but it seems like the sort of thing which would be included in training just because mitigating the risk causes hardly any problems.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    For goodness sake, take five minutes to format your bills people.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

How do you "prove" they wanted a receipt? Is "would you like your receipt" too much for you? I often get asked this when shopping, although in most cases it's printed automatically and then they throw it away rather than asking so they can avoid printing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    For goodness sake, take five minutes to format your bills people.
    At least our party is actually producing legislation. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I found that in co-op specifically, they sometimes ask me if I want a receipt, and when I state that I do not, they do not even print one. It must not be that hard in that case, and not a huge trouble if it seems to be the norm for those shops in my area.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    At least our party is actually producing legislation. :rolleyes:
    Once again we come back to the debate of quality over quantity, you have very gone for the quantity, sod the quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Once again we come back to the debate of quality over quantity, you have very gone for the quantity, sod the quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No. We have gone for a sensible amount of quantity and a good level of quality. You have neither at the moment.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    How do you "prove" they wanted a receipt? Is "would you like your receipt" too much for you? I often get asked this when shopping, although in most cases it's printed automatically and then they throw it away rather than asking so they can avoid printing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I work in a shop.

I always ask "would you like your receipt?".

You say unnecessary printing of the receipt would come with the fine, so thats my question. How would you prove that the customer wanted the receipt?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Two votes were mistakenly cast on behalf of seat 14 and one has consequently been removed from the Ayes.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Two votes were mistakenly cast on behalf of seat 24 and one has consequently been removed from the Ayes.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    One postal abstention has been added for seat 11.

I will declare this and the VA141 result tomorrow to avoid anything getting lost.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Two ayes have been added on behalf of seats 17 and 22 for proxies who had already mistakenly voted and had their votes removed previously.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ayes to the right: 18
    Noes to the left: 21
    Abstain: 9

The Noes have it! The Noes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 96%

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.