Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been given a conditional offer of AAB to be accepted into University of Southampton - to study Biology BSc. Currently my psychology grade is C, but I excel in sociology and biology. The thing is I don't think I'll be able to boost my psychology grade because I don't find psychology particularly interesting so I haven't any attended classes (having already completed both AS and A2 psychology last year (this is my third year). I haven't done any revision yet and my psychology exam is in 8 days. However, I believe I can do really well in sociology and biology. So if I achieved A*, A* and a C would I still be able accepted into Soton? I'm worried about this because Soton is my favourite. If I had to I would retake the exam psychology next year whilst at Soton.

ReputationRep:
    hello, my cousin had an offer for southampton university for oceanography: 'A,B,C.' however she did not meet the entry requirements and ended up with mediocre A levels of: 'B,C,D.'
    she worried about not being able to join the university. however, she contacted her interviewer and literally begged them to allow her a place. due to her excellence in interviewing, she gained the place at Southampton. although narrowly missing her entry requirements, my cousin used the situation to her advantage and managed to get a place through talking to her admissions tutor. at the end of the day, what did she have to loose?
    just wanted to share that story with you, good luck for your A levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahrobinsxn)
    hello, my cousin had an offer for southampton university for oceanography: 'A,B,C.' however she did not meet the entry requirements and ended up with mediocre A levels of: 'B,C,D.'
    she worried about not being able to join the university. however, she contacted her interviewer and literally begged them to allow her a place. due to her excellence in interviewing, she gained the place at Southampton. although narrowly missing her entry requirements, my cousin used the situation to her advantage and managed to get a place through talking to her admissions tutor. at the end of the day, what did she have to loose?
    just wanted to share that story with you, good luck for your A levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. That's made me feel 10X better and much less worried! Uni of Southampton is the only one I want to go to. Hopefully they are still just as lenient! I'm so glad that your cousin managed to get in, in the end! I know this sounds stupid but who is the admissions tutor? I don't know mine haha. I appreciate your reply because I genuinely thought it would be impossible to get in with A*, A* and a C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jas19)
    I've been given a conditional offer of AAB to be accepted into University of Southampton - to study Biology BSc. Currently my psychology grade is C, but I excel in sociology and biology. The thing is I don't think I'll be able to boost my psychology grade because I don't find psychology particularly interesting so I haven't any attended classes (having already completed both AS and A2 psychology last year (this is my third year). I haven't done any revision yet and my psychology exam is in 8 days. However, I believe I can do really well in sociology and biology. So if I achieved A*, A* and a C would I still be able accepted into Soton? I'm worried about this because Soton is my favourite. If I had to I would retake the exam psychology next year whilst at Soton.
    It depends entirely on how many people do meet their offer and whether the university is going to stick on having a bottom line of at least B across the board. Whilst A*A*C beats AAB on points, if they are going to stick on the B baseline then you have missed your offer, especially as this is your third year. My hunch is that they will take you, but no one can say on here one way or another, and what happened in previous years is not a guide to what will happen this year. Assume you need a B and get some revision done if getting to Southampton matters to you that much.

ReputationRep:
    Southampton has been very flexible with grades the past couple of years due to the fact they have had so many courses in clearing. You should be fine.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by jas19)
    I know this has nothing to do with your question, but what did you get in GCSE's?

ReputationRep:
    Most likely.

Almost all universities, excluding Oxbridge, LSE, ICL, and maybe a few others, will allow offer holders to get slightly worse grades (and in some cases, much worse grades) and still be accepted onto the course.

ReputationRep:
    CLR has already given the factual answer. Nobody including the university themselves can answer this until results day. If the number achieving their grades exceeds the number of places you will be rejected. If not it is likely you will be accepted but nobody can give you a guarantee even though it is likely they will accept you.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Historically you probably would have been fine

However http://www.southampton.ac.uk/news/ev...f-address.page 19 minutes in talks about "A plan to maintain minimum entry requirements" for introduction this August.

I would think that with the points equivalent or higher for your offer you'd be top of the pile to be accepted if there is space available - but with a new VC and a new strategy tightening up on entry standards it is much less likely that Southampton will be taking substantial numbers of students who missed their offer this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Historically you probably would have been fine

However http://www.southampton.ac.uk/news/ev...f-address.page 19 minutes in talks about "A plan to maintain minimum entry requirements" for introduction this August.

I would think that with the points equivalent or higher for your offer you'd be top of the pile to be accepted if there is space available - but with a new VC and a new strategy tightening up on entry standards it is much less likely that Southampton will be taking substantial numbers of students who missed their offer this year.
    In that case, how will they fill their classrooms? In 2015, they had 324 courses in Clearing( compared to only 19 at Exeter, 69 at Warwick etc.)
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Have you looked on TSR's Uni Match to see what points people got in with last year? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Film)
    In that case, how will they fill their classrooms? In 2015, they had 324 courses in Clearing( compared to only 19 at Exeter, 69 at Warwick etc.)
    And they took 600+ students through clearing according to UCAS and had the largest intake ever (http://thetab.com/uk/soton/2015/08/2...thampton-60898 ).

If you look at the slide in the video it shows a huge increase in applications and acceptances for 2016 entry. It's not unreasonable to assume that they will contract intake slightly with a new VC pushing for entry standards to be maintained.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jas19)
    it depends on factors like how many people met their offers and how popular the course is however with that said I'd say you have a fair chance your getting the A* in the subject that matters and if it's a high C you would have even better chance the other point is no matter how you spin it an A* is better than an A so you might get in and you've got a good chance many places accept people who have just missed their offer each year so your in with a resonable chance.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.