Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    For question 7(ii) b, is the particle now at the bottom of the slope?
    https://211c25b87002c8b34761c926d793...20M1%20OCR.pdf
    thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamuelN98)
    Hi.
    thanks in advance.
    The particle will be at its furthest point up the slope where it reaches instantaneous rest. The
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Hi.
    thanks in advance.
    No the particle is on the slope - the question says the particle comes to rest before reaching the top of the slope.

For this question, it's important to realise that the particle is at rest so all forces acting on the particle must be balanced. So any force exterted by the plane on the particle (the contact force) must be equal and opposite to the particles weight.

This contact force will have a normal reaction component and a friction component that acts up the slope since the particle will be on the point of slipping down the slope.

This type of question can be confusing so let us know if you're still unsure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    No the particle is on the slope - the question says the particle comes to rest before reaching the top of the slope.

For this question, it's important to realise that the particle is at rest so all forces acting on the particle must be balanced. So any force exterted by the plane on the particle (the contact force) must be equal and opposite to the particles weight.

This contact force will have a normal reaction component and a friction component that acts up the slope since the particle will be on the point of slipping down the slope.

This type of question can be confusing so let us know if you're still unsure.
    I think i understand it, i have to find the resultant of the reaction force and friction right?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I think i understand it, i have to find the resultant of the reaction force and friction right?
    Yes you can do this.

This may be more than is expected for the 2 marks in b) but it may be more beneficial if you go through the process of resolving friction and the normal reaction like you said.

For b) the particle will have a tendency to slide down the plane so friction will be acting up the slope. Also, friction will not be limiting.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can do this.

This may be more than is expected for the 2 marks in b) but it may be more beneficial if you go through the process of resolving friction and the normal reaction like you said.

For b) the particle will have a tendency to slide down the plane so friction will be acting up the slope. Also, friction will not be limiting.
    I was able to get the correct answer using this method is there a quicker way?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I was able to get the correct answer using this method is there a quicker way?
    For a particle on a sloped plane, the contact force from the plane has two components : the normal reaction and the friction force.

For a particle at rest on a slope, the friction force is equal to the component of the weight parallel to the slope but in the opposite direction. And the normal reaction is equal to the component of the weight perpendicular to the slope but in the opposite direction.

So overall the contact force must be equal to the weight but in the opposite direction. So the contact force is mg and will have angle 90 - 60 = 30 degrees to the slope.

ReputationRep:
    For a particle on a sloped plane, the contact force from the plane has two components : the normal reaction and the friction force.

For a particle at rest on a slope, the friction force is equal to the component of the weight parallel to the slope but in the opposite direction. And the normal reaction is equal to the component of the weight perpendicular to the slope but in the opposite direction.

So overall the contact force must be equal to the weight but in the opposite direction. So the contact force is mg and will have angle 90 - 60 = 30 degrees to the slope.
    Thanks you very much for explaining this, made it much clearer, i see why its only 2 marks now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.