Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am an aspiring dentist and I want to know if getting in to Manchester, Leeds or Birmingham is a realistic proposition. At GCSE, I did CIE iGCSE for all exams and got 6A*(English lang, Maths, Chem, Bio, Physics, French) and 2A (English lit, Add Maths). I haven't done any work experience yet but I have arranged to do two weeks at my local dentist. I also haven't done volunteering yet but I am planning on doing so soon at a local charity shop (although I don't know if volunteering is an absolute must to get into dental school?)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dakofsta)
    Hi, I am an aspiring dentist and I want to know if getting in to Manchester, Leeds or Birmingham is a realistic proposition. At GCSE, I did CIE iGCSE for all exams and got 6A*(English lang, Maths, Chem, Bio, Physics, French) and 2A (English lit, Add Maths). I haven't done any work experience yet but I have arranged to do two weeks at my local dentist. I also haven't done volunteering yet but I am planning on doing so soon at a local charity shop (although I don't know if volunteering is an absolute must to get into dental school?)
    Thanks
    The truth is that no one can give you the answer you want and I've even sat on interview panels for the past 3 years. I remember how it feels, when i was in your position i just wanted somone to say to me "don't worry Ryan, with your application you are guaranteed a place!" It's understandable and we would all like that certainty, but that is just not how it works. All you can do is stack the odds in your favour.

However, if you GCSE, A level, UKCAT are all satisfactory. And if you have work experience, voluntary work, a good personal statement and evidence of manual dexterity. Then you're off to a good start.

Once you get an interview, that really is all that matters in my opinion. They're much more likely to offer/reject you based upon your interview than your UCAS form.

For what it's worth, i would say volunteering of a sort is very desireable, if not quite essential. I would say that 99% of students i've ever interviewed had done some form of voluntary work.

It's also important to have evidence of team-working, leadership, communication skills and empathy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.