Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I used to get A's on my past papers and because i was on my own and no help in the exam i came out with 40 marks wtf.
    NOW i'm doing these calculator papers and i get no more than 48... wtf should i do?
    I need 70 marks on calc for a B grade and i NEED a B Grade to do a course in college next year.
    What should i do? Please help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divinchi)
    I used to get A's on my past papers and because i was on my own and no help in the exam i came out with 40 marks wtf.
    NOW i'm doing these calculator papers and i get no more than 48... wtf should i do?
    I need 70 marks on calc for a B grade and i NEED a B Grade to do a course in college next year.
    This is so peak fam LOOOL

When is your next maths exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naruke)
    This is so peak fam LOOOL

When is your next maths exam?
    9th June

ReputationRep:
    9th June
    It's very possible then. What sort of questions do you keep getting wrong?

ReputationRep:
    It's very possible then. What sort of questions do you keep getting wrong?
    dude those dam worded questions really mess the whole paper up for me.
    I get the maths but the worded questions dam..
    I'll give you an example:

http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/resourc...nov2013ans.pdf

Q.13

ReputationRep:
    Go on Corbettmaths and look through the videos on the topics you're struggling with. Examsolutions is another good website for maths resources.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well............... That's the whole point of exams

Lol so you used to cheat haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Xenon_)
    Lol so you used to cheat haha.
    nah my tutor helped me

nah my tutor helped me
    Oh OK, lol.
    Which exam board is this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Xenon_)
    Oh OK, lol.
    Which exam board is this
    Edexcel

ReputationRep:

Q.13
    Practice becomes perfect with these types of questions

Just remember with these types of questions the working always comes down to something like this

I'm going to let miles = M and minutes = m (note the upper and lower case letters)

The girl says 'We will have to drive faster than the speed limit to go 30 miles in 26 minutes'

70M = 60m (1 hour) [70mph means 70miles = 1 hour]
    if we divide both sides by 60, we will find how long we are allowed to travel per minute
     \frac{70M}{60} = \frac{60m}{60}
     \frac{7M}{6} = 1m so we are allowed to travel 7/6 miles in 1 minute.
    if we multiply this by 26 to see how far we would be allowed to travel in 26 minutes we get  \frac{91M}{3} = 26m

Now what I have shown is that in 26minutes we will travel 30.333333 miles, now this contradicts with what she said, as she says: "We will have to drive faster than the speed limit to go 30 miles in 26 minutes" But I've shown that in 26 minutes if you drive at the speed limit you'll go beyond 30 miles

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel
    Like someone else suggested CorbettMaths is your best hope. The thing is with CorbettMaths there are many video tutorials and worksheets to go through but you have little time. So, you'd need to dedicate a lot of time to them.

Any other questions you are not sure about show me?

ReputationRep:
    Practice becomes perfect with these types of questions

Just remember with these types of questions the working always comes down to something like this

I'm going to let miles = M and minutes = m (note the upper and lower case letters)

The girl says 'We will have to drive faster than the speed limit to go 30 miles in 26 minutes'

70M = 60m (1 hour) [70mph means 70miles = 1 hour]
    if we divide both sides by 60, we will find how long we are allowed to travel per minute
     \frac{70M}{60} = \frac{60m}{60}
     \frac{7M}{6} = 1m so we are allowed to travel 7/6 miles in 1 minute.
    if we multiply this by 26 to see how far we would be allowed to travel in 26 minutes we get  \frac{91M}{3} = 26m

Now what I have shown is that in 26minutes we will travel 30.333333 miles, now this contradicts with what she said, as she says: "We will have to drive faster than the speed limit to go 30 miles in 26 minutes" But I've shown that in 26 minutes if you drive at the speed limit you'll go beyond 30 miles
    what if i did 70/60 and 60/60 and times both by 26 is that the same thing or not?

ReputationRep:
    what if i did 70/60 and 60/60 and times both by 26 is that the same thing or not?
    Yes, but you want to show the examiner you know what you're actually doing so going in steps like this means your examiner wont steal no marks from you.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but you want to show the examiner you know what you're actually doing so going in steps like this means your examiner wont steal no marks from you.
    Oh alright, thanks man

ReputationRep:

Q.13
    Worded questions confuse me sometimes as well, someone gave me the idea to write down all the pieces of information in the question as I am reading the question so it is easier to work out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.