Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need some advice about feeling depressed post-exams watch

So, basically, I have just finished my finals and am not coping well at all. I keep thinking that this is supposed to be such a great time, everyone is going out and getting excited about the future but I have no money, am totally broke, might have to move home, I don't have a job sorted out and I feel like my friends don't even like me that much.

I think the thing with my friends is one of the things that is bothering me the most because I would at least feel a bit less alone if things were different. I have two large groups of friends but I am not really close to anyone, and sometimes people forget to invite me to things. All the people I was friends with in 1st/2nd year I seem to have drifted away from.

I go to uni in London as well, and I'm worried about having the money to stay here where all my friends are (a lot of them are from London anyway so its not a big worry for them) even if I get a job. I hate having nothing to do, I worked so hard for my exams and I hate not having that sense of purpose. I'm trying to motivate myself to do things but I can barely get out of bed.

I'd love to do a masters, but I haven't been doing very well at uni this year. I've worked hard but have been experiencing a lot of panic attacks all year and feel like I'm just not good enough. I was a really good student at school and I feel like I'm losing part of my identity by not being in education, or being a high achiever. I've been getting low 2:1s, and I'm now worried about getting a 2:2 overall.

I know it's stupid, but I can't stop thinking about all the things that uni could have been. Anyone been through anything similar?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    So, basically, I have just finished my finals and am not coping well at all. I keep thinking that this is supposed to be such a great time, everyone is going out and getting excited about the future but I have no money, am totally broke, might have to move home, I don't have a job sorted out and I feel like my friends don't even like me that much.

I think the thing with my friends is one of the things that is bothering me the most because I would at least feel a bit less alone if things were different. I have two large groups of friends but I am not really close to anyone, and sometimes people forget to invite me to things. All the people I was friends with in 1st/2nd year I seem to have drifted away from.

I go to uni in London as well, and I'm worried about having the money to stay here where all my friends are (a lot of them are from London anyway so its not a big worry for them) even if I get a job. I hate having nothing to do, I worked so hard for my exams and I hate not having that sense of purpose. I'm trying to motivate myself to do things but I can barely get out of bed.

I'd love to do a masters, but I haven't been doing very well at uni this year. I've worked hard but have been experiencing a lot of panic attacks all year and feel like I'm just not good enough. I was a really good student at school and I feel like I'm losing part of my identity by not being in education, or being a high achiever. I've been getting low 2:1s, and I'm now worried about getting a 2:2 overall.

I know it's stupid, but I can't stop thinking about all the things that uni could have been. Anyone been through anything similar?
    Definitely in a similar boat. I still have one more exam but am really struggling to do anything.

Since you have been experiencing panic attacks etc, I would advise you book an appointment with student support ASAP and they may be able to advise you - uni services tend to be very good and nothing will count against you. You may be garnted a concession, but it is best to see them as soon as you can as there will be a deadline.

Anyway, you may still get the grades you want. There are so many jobs in London, and room-sharing is really reasonable. I agree that buying a house in London is crazy - I think this is the same for most people.

So just don't be hard on yourself, you have not done anything wrong. Just think what can you do in the situation (take some time to relax, open up to people you trust, speak to student services). Also if you want to speak to someone anonymously there is always the Samaritans (it is free and does not appear on phone bills)

Good luck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.