The Student Room Group

Are private school people judgey?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by niv1234
Ok thanks, what are the class sizes and the teaching like?

It differs per subject. I only know up to year 11.but my biggest class is 24. Smallest is 10. Though i imagine in alevels there are probably smaller classes.

Most grammar are rated outstanding for teaching by OFSTED so I wouldnt worry. However I have heard friends in grammar schools say teachers a a little complacent because all their studentss are smart anyway and will work hard to be better.

That said teachers generally are pressured by senior leaders to keep teaching standards high to get good results for league tables.
Original post by tnk191
It differs per subject. I only know up to year 11.but my biggest class is 24. Smallest is 10. Though i imagine in alevels there are probably smaller classes.

Most grammar are rated outstanding for teaching by OFSTED so I wouldnt worry. However I have heard friends in grammar schools say teachers a a little complacent because all their studentss are smart anyway and will work hard to be better.

That said teachers generally are pressured by senior leaders to keep teaching standards high to get good results for league tables.

Thats pretty much the same as my school - biggest class size for things like maths, science and English is 24 and my smallest class for Latin is 6.

Thats what I have heard too.
Thanks.
Original post by tnk191
I'm going to a private school in September got Alevels on a full schorlaship and im so nervous

Got a few questions....though1. What are the people like? I mean I've stalked...rather ' investigated' a few on instagram but appearances can be deceptive??

2. Are people going to judge me for being in a full schorlaship? Do I tell them or not?

3. my family is working-middle class and I'm worried people will any potential friends like not want to come to my v.tiny house and turn their noses up?

4. Are people really judge-y about brands because I'm straight up high street??

in my experience, they really aren't. If anything, I've been subject to more judgement for going to a private school than I have ever judged anyone. A friend of mine moved from a state to private school and her new friends basically refused to meet us. They said we were 'scary' and 'snobby' before even meeting us (and trust me we are not!)

1: nothing wrong with telling them but tbh, I'm on a scholarship and it makes me feel like a bit of a dick if I mention I pay less than then (cos I'm so special with my brains and all that). Not a good conversation starter.

2: I have friends who are middle/working class with small houses. No judgement. It makes sleepovers cramped but that's about it :lol:

3: And again, nobody from my school would judge you for buying from the high street. Most of us are kitted out in primark 24/7 as far as I'm aware. A few of us were complimenting my friends shirt the other day and she proclaimed that her entire outfit was from charity shops. We were all just impressed, not judgy.

Quick Reply

Latest