The Student Room Group

S1 correlation

Is there a faster way of working out r without a fancy calculator, at the moment I will die before I reach question 5 using the formula?
2016-05-30.png
Reply 1
What board is this from? Most boards give you Sxy, Sxx and Syy. But this question is worth 3 marks so maybe 2 for Sxx, Syy and Sxy and the final mark for r = Sxy/sqrt(Sxx*Syy)
Reply 2
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
Is there a faster way of working out r without a fancy calculator, at the moment I will die before I reach question 5 using the formula?
2016-05-30.png

Purchase a calc

The cheapest one that could solve this is 15 pounds in whsmith

By the time you've finished calculating r manually I'd have finished the paper
Reply 3
No you wouldnt!
A 3 mark question allows 3.5 minutes to be answered.
Also good scientific calculators only cost about £8 at most.
Original post by MathsSir
What board is this from? Most boards give you Sxy, Sxx and Syy. But this question is worth 3 marks so maybe 2 for Sxx, Syy and Sxy and the final mark for r = Sxy/sqrt(Sxx*Syy)

AQA S1 2009 june, I have worked it out but it took about 10 minutes and that is not a good amount of time to spend on a three mark question.
Reply 5
Original post by TheGreatPumpkin
AQA S1 2009 june, I have worked it out but it took about 10 minutes and that is not a good amount of time to spend on a three mark question.

AQA C2 front cover
Show all necessary working; otherwise marks for method may be lost.
The decision is obviously yours.
Original post by MathsSir
AQA C2 front cover
Show all necessary working; otherwise marks for method may be lost.
The decision is obviously yours.

I'm sorry what do mean? Naturally I will show workings out, but I don't see how it relate to the question.
Reply 7
Have you got a casio fx-85GT? If so, there is a quick way to calculate r

Quick Reply

Latest