Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am seriously at my wits end. Read on for details.

I am a 25 year-old graduate, suffering with non-epileptic seizures, still living at home with his parents, in another rural area of the UK, at present. There are very limited bus services here, making a full-time job very difficult to obtain, although I do have a part-time kitchen assistant job, at present.

My dilemma however, is the fact that in the next few months, my parents will be moving to Bideford in North Devon. Which, as you can probably imagine, is both pretty appalling/ limited for finding full-time work, as well as pretty darn isolated from the rest of the country transport wise, especially if you're not able to drive. This, coupled with the fact that I don't know anyone there, means that I'm probably going to be pretty lonely there. Not to mention, I will have to start looking for a job from scratch, given I will be moving away from the one part-time one I have at present. Fair enough, the buses will be slightly better than the village I am living in now, but living in a town surrounded by 30 miles of moorland on each side of it, and an incredibly basic train service, is pretty isolated don't you think?

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy that my parents are doing something that they want to do, with them approaching retirement. But when you're a young graduate, looking for a full-time job, I am feeling incredibly frustrated by the fact that they seem to think that there will be a myriad of opportunities awaiting me there (hint, there won't be!)

Yes, I do want to move out, but, as I'm sure you've gathered, I am financially unable to support myself at present. On the one hand, I feel so selfish that I don't share their enthusiasm for the move, but on the other, I feel like I am being forcibly dragged along with them. After having had job rejection after job rejection, I am feeling so dejected, and at times almost suicidal, having effectively lost my independence/ transport/ employability to my undiagnosed epilepsy.

What would you guys recommend, considering my transport limitations at present?

No trolling please.

ReputationRep:
    There's not a lot you can do except try and make the best of the situation and sort out getting yourself as independent as possible as soon as possible. Really what that means is job hunting, both for not great starter jobs and proper grad jobs, and not just looking where your parents are - would it be possible for them to lend you a bit of cash to set yourself up renting in a new city? or could you use an overdraft to do so? Also, I assume you're not able to hold a license if you're epileptic? Would you qualify for any sort of benefits to help you be more mobile?

(Original post by doodle_333)
    There's not a lot you can do except try and make the best of the situation and sort out getting yourself as independent as possible as soon as possible. Really what that means is job hunting, both for not great starter jobs and proper grad jobs, and not just looking where your parents are - would it be possible for them to lend you a bit of cash to set yourself up renting in a new city? or could you use an overdraft to do so? Also, I assume you're not able to hold a license if you're epileptic? Would you qualify for any sort of benefits to help you be more mobile?
    Yeah I'm not able to hold a license- you legally can't drive for a year after you've had a seizure. I was also able to previously drive, which was even more annoying really. But no, they don't seem to want to lend me any kind of money to move out- when I was previously claiming jobseekers, I wasn't made aware of any kind of benefit.

In terms of work, it seems likely I'll be trying to establish myself in instrumental teaching, as I'm a Music graduate. The fact I'm unable to drive was my biggest challenge, although given I'll be in a slightly bigger town than I am now, it may be a bit easier in that respect. But yeah, will continue to search out for work further afield.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't you claim disability benefits?

I think that perhaps you should try moving to a big city because there are a lot more opportunities. I'd say London, but that's expensive, so perhaps Birmingham/Manchester/Bristol/Nottingham?

Also, perhaps look into doing online work, or freelance work.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Do you have any friends or family you can move in with, instead?

ReputationRep:
    As someone who lives in Bideford, I can say there's plenty of part-time jobs here to see you over initially, especially with the development of the shopping area on the outskirts of town. As for transport, most areas are well served by buses, and most of the places in town are within reasonable walking distance; any questions you have about the local area I'd be happy to answer.

In terms of a Full-time job though, you may have more luck in the neighbouring town of Barnstaple or the close-ish Plymouth and Exeter, but these are also easily reached by public transport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    Couldn't you claim disability benefits?

I think that perhaps you should try moving to a big city because there are a lot more opportunities. I'd say London, but that's expensive, so perhaps Birmingham/Manchester/Bristol/Nottingham?

Also, perhaps look into doing online work, or freelance work.
    http://gif-finder.com/wp-content/upl...n-laughing.gif

ReputationRep:
    I used to live in Bideford, and I accept that it isn't the most exciting place for young people, especially graduates! However, it is very pretty and most of the people are friendlier. Bideford is nearby Appledore and Westward Ho! which are two popular beaches in Devon. Barnstaple is a nearby town which has a bit more (better if you are seeking work perhaps). It is very easy to commute to all of these places via bus during the day.

Although it might be harder to find full time work the advantage that Bideford and the surrounding area has is that it is open to a lot of tourists, which means there are many options for part time or temporary work, such as running activities, restaurants and pubs. A lot of places are always looking for part time staff, so you should be able to find something. This will help you save money (for leisure, travel or relocation) as well as work experience to put on your CV.

I knew one person who graduated and moved back home to North Devon, and they struggled to find full time work. They eventually found work in a care home, looking after patients and arranging days out for them. I'm not sure if you are interested in this work, but there is a lot of demand for care staff in the area and most places will offer to train you on the job. Some vacancies will require you to have a driving license whilst others are more lenient.

ReputationRep:
    if you have IT skills you could work from your isolated home and set up a business on the internet...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.