Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

8 year old does binary arithmetic Watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Is it a Korean kid?

ReputationRep:
    ok for those of us who have no idea about this stuff is this like... impressive or not idk am i meant to marvel idk what my reaction is

ReputationRep:
    the rearing of children like this is great but slightly unfair to those unfortunate children who don't have educated parents. the world is unfair I guess

ReputationRep:
    Big deal, my computer does this all the time.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    pshhh i can do this with my eyes closed while jumping on the trampoline with hay fever pollen count high

ReputationRep:
    Binary addition isn't that hard..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GaryIsASloth)
    Binary addition isn't that hard..?
    That's what I think as well.

It's basic maths just using 0s and 1s. Im sure loads more 8 year olds can do this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i did this in computing - come on aint that hard it's literally addition x_x
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    ok for those of us who have no idea about this stuff is this like... impressive or not idk am i meant to marvel idk what my reaction is
    Binary addition isn't really any more difficult than decimal addition. The only reason it seems difficult is because we spend our childhood learning to count in decimal and are very used to it.

What the kid does here is not difficult if you've practised binary addition a little bit, but still fairly impressive for someone his age to have gone to the effort of doing so.

Binary multiplication on the other hand is something I would struggle to do as I've never practised it at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Binary addition isn't really any more difficult than decimal addition. The only reason it seems difficult is because we spend our childhood learning to count in decimal and are very used to it.

What the kid does here is not difficult if you've practised binary addition a little bit, but still fairly impressive for someone his age to have gone to the effort of doing so.

Binary multiplication on the other hand is something I would struggle to do as I've never practised it at all.
    Ah I see, thanks for explaining

(Original post by Manitude)

Multiplication really isn't much harder than addition, you don't even have to memorise any tables, since you can shift left.

ReputationRep:
    For those who don't do computing, it's not a complex concept
    0 + 0 = 0
    0 + 1 = 1
    1 + 1 = 0 carry 1
    1 + 1 + 1 = 1 carry 1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    For those who don't do computing, it's not a complex concept
    0 + 0 = 0
    0 + 1 = 1
    1 + 1 = 0 carry 1
    1 + 1 + 1 = 1 carry 1
    You forgot:

1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1

Without converting to decimal and back again it's a little less obvious on how one would calculate that using binary arithmetic alone

ReputationRep:
    I would have been able to do that too when i was 8 years old tbh! Binary addition is not hard...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.