liverpool uni Watch

This discussion is closed.
THIERRY
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi all, is anyone here going to liverpool university, and if so wat course are u doing? Liv'pool was my insurance, and im in, but i dnt hav a cluce abt anythin in Liverpool! I need help, i dnt knw which halls to put down or anythin i need to sort it all out. thanks
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Q Why does the Mersey run through Liverpool?

A Becuae if it walked it would get mugged.
mrmarsupial
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Q Why does the Mersey run through Liverpool?

A Becuae if it walked it would get mugged.
lmaolololololol sorry wasnt THAT funny but its giving me **** about message length
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mrmarsupial)
lmaolololololol sorry wasnt THAT funny but its giving me **** about message length
LOL, you're a funny guy, mrmarsupial.
THIERRY
Rep:
?
come on some1 here must be going to liverpool????????????????! HELP! i havent sent my accomodation form, does any1 knw the deadlin. no stupid comments please, this is serious ****
THIERRY
Rep:
?
Does any1 knw anythin abt Liverpool seriously? I need good accom. not too far frm dental school any one can help greatly appreciated?
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by THIERRY)
Does any1 knw anythin abt Liverpool seriously? I need good accom. not too far frm dental school any one can help greatly appreciated?
I might be going there becuase the offered me a place in clearing - don't know anything about it yet though.
EddieB
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
I might be going there becuase the offered me a place in clearing - don't know anything about it yet though.
Being from Liverpool, I guess I should be a little qualified on this issue. Liverpool Uni is actually pretty damn good. One of the old style "real" universities - ie. not an ex-polytechnic, which consistently performs well in the league tables, if anyone really cares about them. Good facilities, especially in the medicine and dental side of things. Often come highly recommended. That's what my dentist who graduated from Liverpool Uni said anyway

I've never been in the halls of residence so I can't really comment on the standard of them. Liverpool has an excellent student culture - the city centre is packed with bars and Mathew Street is usually one of the best places to pay a visit to at night, but there's a bit of everything around really.

If you're into the nightlife, then you want to be placed in a hall in the town centre. There are enough of them, but there is a chance you could end up thrown in one of the suburbs, which involves bus and/or small train journeys on the compact but fairly efficient Merseyrail network.

Then there's the people. I suppose we're all pretty nice really and there's a lot less crime than the stereotypes and jokes suggest. Just stay out of Toxteth and Everton !

Eddie
THIERRY
Rep:
?
Thanks for instilling a bit of confidence in me eddie! So the main thing really, we need to knw, how are the women there??? students/local girls, are tehy fine, nice, average, bad, damn ugly?????? is there multiculture there or is it full of scousers????? cheers mate. Oh and teh person goin to liverpool thru clearin wat course u doin?????
EddieB
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanks for instilling a bit of confidence in me eddie! So the main thing really, we need to knw, how are the women there??? students/local girls, are tehy fine, nice, average, bad, damn ugly?????? is there multiculture there or is it full of scousers????? cheers mate. Oh and teh person goin to liverpool thru clearin wat course u doin?????
The local girls are not too bad. Depends on where you're looking really. The city as a whole is rather cultural: there's a high Asian population centred around the large Chinatown area, and everywhere you go you will meet wonderful Irish people. The number of people from black backgrounds is also on the increase, but there are already quite a large number here. Indeed, many of them can claim to be the first real "scousers", as their ancestors can be traced back to those who settled during and after the slave trade.

Of the student population, this is far more diversely cultured. Much as with most Universities across the country, people come from all over the place so you'd probably get to see a mix of just about anything.
THIERRY
Rep:
?
Thanks alot eddie. Do u knw much abt the halls of residence there? and if u do, which do u think would be most convinient to get to dental school/town centre etc. oh and is there alot of racism there? wat abt at night do asians get beaten up????????????!!!!!!!!!! clubs/bars etc
Suk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanks alot eddie. Do u knw much abt the halls of residence there? and if u do, which do u think would be most convinient to get to dental school/town centre etc. oh and is there alot of racism there? wat abt at night do asians get beaten up????????????!!!!!!!!!! clubs/bars etc
My sister went to liverpool uni and shes asain btw, she had no problems there and had the best time of her life there and no 25 still go backs there for renunions with her friends. The nightlife is up there with best in the country and basically you shouldn't worry about it, liverpool is just as safe as any other city and the ppl u meet there are diverse and intresting. Halls, you should have a information booklet? or check the website, from memory she went to lady mountford. You shouldn't worry about distances from campus as theres buses running all the time up to 2am in morning to even the furthest halls.

I got into liverpool too for my insurance and am going to dale hall hopefully.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hiya, i live in southport (bout half an hour away from liverpool on the train). liverpool is a pretty cool city- it has a good nightlife and there's something for everyone (if you're into rock the crazyhouse is a must). i don't know anything about the accomadation because i never bothered to look round it, but people i know who are there never seem to complain! i've been to the uni a couple of times for their open day and different conferences etc. and it seems a pretty good uni- the library, union etc. all seem pretty decent.

most people in the area are great, you just have to avoid the scallies (guys with their laccose trackies and socks pulled up + baseball caps)- they can be idiots. the irish in the area are lovely + there a few great irish pubs. another area to avoid is bootle- some bits are ok but most is a dump.

where abouts in liverpool are you from eddie?
EddieB
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
hiya, i live in southport (bout half an hour away from liverpool on the train). liverpool is a pretty cool city- it has a good nightlife and there's something for everyone (if you're into rock the crazyhouse is a must). i don't know anything about the accomadation because i never bothered to look round it, but people i know who are there never seem to complain! i've been to the uni a couple of times for their open day and different conferences etc. and it seems a pretty good uni- the library, union etc. all seem pretty decent.

most people in the area are great, you just have to avoid the scallies (guys with their laccose trackies and socks pulled up + baseball caps)- they can be idiots. the irish in the area are lovely + there a few great irish pubs. another area to avoid is bootle- some bits are ok but most is a dump.

where abouts in liverpool are you from eddie?
As luck would have it, I'm very near to the Bootle area

I can appreciate what you're saying though - it's not particularly nice around here. Thing is, if you're a student, you shouldn't ever need to venture out into the suburbs anyway, so it won't affect you.

But yes, avoid scallies like the plague. They are easily identifiable by what they wear, as you say. Those single colour Lacoste tracksuits look so ridiculous.

All in all, it's a cool University. As for racism: it does exist - but no more than in any other city in the country. It's probably less so here, I'd guess, because of the cultural history of the city. But the biggest "target" at the moment anyway is the poor Kosovans who live in horrendous tower blocks in the Everton district of the city. As far as I know, the halls of residence are nowhere near here, so you should be OK.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hey thanks alot guys, i feel much better abt Liverpool now! Im thinkin of applyin to the 'angus jones house' because it looks pretty decent in the booklet, and its on catherine st. knw where that is anyone????? apprently near city centre, can u tell me if thats far frm dental school or the hospital and how far it is frm town centre and night clubs etc?? cheers lads

by the way, gimp guy, what course u doin??
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (199)
12.7%
Excited (136)
8.68%
Worried (287)
18.32%
Terrified (355)
22.65%
Meh (136)
8.68%
Confused (35)
2.23%