Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I am currently doing A-Levels in History, Psychology and Philosophy.

My dilemma is I cannot decide which university course I would like to do - I'm stuck between History and Law. I love medieval history and it really interests me, however I would love to help people through being a lawyer.
    Ideally I would like to do both, but cannot find a university that offers medieval history and law together.

Please help, do you know of a university that provides both? I'm UK based. Or what would be better in terms of future careers - Law or History?

Thank you for your time!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ameliadh)
    Hi everyone,

My dilemma is I cannot decide which university course I would like to do - I'm stuck between History and Law. I love medieval history and it really interests me, however I would love to help people through being a lawyer.
    Ideally I would like to do both, but cannot find a university that offers medieval history and law together.

Please help, do you know of a university that provides both? I'm UK based. Or what would be better in terms of future careers - Law or History?

Thank you for your time!
    Doesn't matter, you can become a lawyer with any degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for your time!
    Read this:
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...WbrHlx9TJrgD8A

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for your time!
    A combined honours degree won't be a 'qualifying degree' for law, so you'd still have to do some sort of post-grad conversion to qualify and practice as a lawyer. If you love medieval history, go for that and see where it takes you. The skills you'll acquire will be hugely useful in a range of professions, including law.

As for future career prospects, either degree, provided it was a good one, would equip you for a range of opportunities. However, it's worth saying that history graduates have landed up in all sorts of unexpected places, and very often extremely senior posts in large and complex organisations

The other thing to remember is that the magic key to graduate training schemes normally starts at a 2:1. It is much easier to achieve that if you are studying a subject you are really interested in. The other thing to bear in mind is that there are nowhere near enough training contracts around for the numbers of law graduates emerging each year. Go for what really grabs and inspires you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.