The Student Room Group

Studying A Levels at home?

Hello Everyone,
I hope you are all well,

I want to get into this question so I'll start by saying I am nineteen (almost twenty) and want to start studying A Levels. I never got the chance to do GCSE's (family problems/bereavements/health problems) I was homeschooled after that time due to this and last year another unfortunate incident occurred. The question was how do I go about doing A Levels at home? I was wanting to do - Psychology, Biology, English Literature and maybe Law.

Kind Regards.
Original post by Ecliptic
Hello Everyone,
I hope you are all well,

I want to get into this question so I'll start by saying I am nineteen (almost twenty) and want to start studying A Levels. I never got the chance to do GCSE's (family problems/bereavements/health problems) I was homeschooled after that time due to this and last year another unfortunate incident occurred. The question was how do I go about doing A Levels at home? I was wanting to do - Psychology, Biology, English Literature and maybe Law.

Kind Regards.

You're skipping over GCSE's right?

It's nice that are interested in continuing your education. What course do you plan on studying at university? Do you have all the study resources you will be needing?
Reply 2
Original post by alevez2ez
You're skipping over GCSE's right?

It's nice that are interested in continuing your education. What course do you plan on studying at university? Do you have all the study resources you will be needing?

Yes, I never got the chance to do GCSEs (family bereavement and health problems) which is something I wished to have done as I have always been for education. I am unsure of what university course and no, I don't possess the resources that I will be needing, I am unsure of where to get the coursework but I do have revision books which I know will be of some help, thank you for replying.

Is there a certain way of doing A Levels at home? I would appreciate advice as it has been a while since I went to school.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ecliptic
Hello Everyone,
I hope you are all well,

Kind Regards.

Hi! I'm doing my a levels at home too. I would suggest doing CIE English literature because coursework isn't needed. As a general rule, you should avoid exam boards/subjects that require you to do coursework as most exam centres/colleges won't allow you to do it as an external candidate. You would also need to choose a college/exam centre that accepts external candidates, in order to take the exams. Make sure you book the exams well before they are due (Jan/Feb) as exams centres will charge more if you miss the deadlines for booking exams.

Hope you find this helpful! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by AppleBlossoms
Hi! I'm doing my a levels at home too. I would suggest doing CIE English literature because coursework isn't needed. As a general rule, you should avoid exam boards/subjects that require you to do coursework as most exam centres/colleges won't allow you to do it as an external candidate. You would also need to choose a college/exam centre that accepts external candidates, in order to take the exams. Make sure you book the exams well before they are due (Jan/Feb) as exams centres will charge more if you miss the deadlines for booking exams.

Hope you find this helpful! :smile:

Thank you for replying, May I ask what subjects require coursework and which do not? I am really new to this and have only decided recently to do A Levels, so I am very confused. The books I have are by CGP, AS/A2 Level Psychology AQA A Complete Revision & Practice for exams but it says until 2016 only, so I am a bit puzzled by that. I also have the biology and am going to purchase some more. Would these books be sufficient? Thank you again.

Quick Reply

Latest