Is there any difference between amylase and carbohydrase?

Watch this thread
Perfection Ace
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I read that amylase is an enzyme which breaks down starch into glucose but I also read that carbohydrase does the same thing? I also read that amylase is produced in the mouth and salivary glands - does that mean carbohydrase is produced there too?

Thanks
metrize
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I think amylase is a specific type of carbohydrase, correct me if im wring though
Mayhem™
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by metrize)
I think amylase is a specific type of carbohydrase, correct me if im wring though
yeah this is correct
Perfection Ace
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by metrize)
(Original post by Mayhem™)
yeah this is correct
Cool! Thanks guys!
D.SHA64
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
amylase is an example of a carbohydrase enzyme
Zx12r1
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
yes carbohydrase refers to a group of enzymes and amylase falls under that category. It is specific as it breaks down starch into maltose
Orlqndo
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
thanks, i was wondering this too
luke.b.jones
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
amylose and amylosepeptin are what make up starch to amylase is the enzyme that breaks down the amylose part of starch down into the monosaccharide alpha glucose bonds 1-4
parmezanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
agreed, i was also wondering this !
hassanramla29
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
thanks everyone
Andyroo_88
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Zx12r1)
yes carbohydrase refers to a group of enzymes and amylase falls under that category. It is specific as it breaks down starch into maltose
Sorry what is the difference between Starch, Maltose and Glucose?
Thanks
hassanramla29
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Amylase is a subcategory of carbohydrase . There are various enzymes in carbohydrase and amylase is one type of it.Hope that helps
hassanramla29
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Andyroo_88)
Thanks
Starch is a plant Fiber that is broken down by amylase. Maltose is a type of sugar compound that is broken by maltase and glucose is also a type of sugar molecule
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Andyroo_88)
Thanks
Starch is a very large storage molecule composed of many glucose molecules bonded together in long chains. Maltose is a disaccharide - composed of two glucose molecules bonded together - that's produced when starch is broken down by the enzyme amylase. Glucose is a simple sugar that's used as the main fuel source for the human body and most other life.
Last edited by anosmianAcrimony; 3 years ago
Andyroo_88
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Starch is a very large storage molecule composed of many glucose molecules bonded together in long chains. Maltose is a disaccharide - composed of two glucose molecules bonded together - that's produced when starch is broken down by the enzyme amylase. Glucose is a simple sugar that's used as the main fuel source for the human body and most other life.
Thank you so much!
You have helped me revise for my bio test
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (40)
28.99%
Take a gap year (22)
15.94%
Resit my exams (37)
26.81%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (18)
13.04%
I don't know yet (15)
10.87%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.35%

Watched Threads