Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being in a relatioship with someone with bipolar watch

ReputationRep:
    My partner has stage 4 bipolar disorder, we have been together for 3 years but his medication has been removed and so has his therapy sessions. His mental health has gotten a lot worse since, as he is now also struggling with withdraws. He has always had angry outbursts where he gets very destructive, not physically but he lashes out verbally and says some very cruel things. But recently they have become more and more common, as has his suicidal thoughts.
    Is anyone also going through a similar situation, and can give any advice? We have spoken about it many times, and usually I do a great job at supporting him, but I find it hard to be around him when he his outbursts are so frequent, as the things he says makes me very upset. He says all he needs is my patience, and once he comes out of a depressive phase he feels terrible for the things he says - its like a different person. All I can do is hope that they decide to continue his meds and therapy.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Dino-unicorn)
    My partner has stage 4 bipolar disorder, we have been together for 3 years but his medication has been removed and so has his therapy sessions. His mental health has gotten a lot worse since, as he is now also struggling with withdraws. He has always had angry outbursts where he gets very destructive, not physically but he lashes out verbally and says some very cruel things. But recently they have become more and more common, as has his suicidal thoughts.
    Is anyone also going through a similar situation, and can give any advice? We have spoken about it many times, and usually I do a great job at supporting him, but I find it hard to be around him when he his outbursts are so frequent, as the things he says makes me very upset. He says all he needs is my patience, and once he comes out of a depressive phase he feels terrible for the things he says - its like a different person. All I can do is hope that they decide to continue his meds and therapy.

Hey Dino-unicorn, I've moved your thread from our Advice on Everyday Issues forum to our Mental Health forum in the hope you get better replies here

ReputationRep:

Speaking as someone who struggles, albeit with a lower stage, my advice is literally to be patient. I appreciate first-hand the guilt he is talking about. When I say or do things that hurt my girlfriend, it makes me so angry that I can't control that side of me. It's a disorder that is so hard to get to grips with. But if he's anything like I am, you need to know that the side that truly, honestly, and with all his heart cares about you is there, and always is there. Sometimes, it gets masked by the wrong side of us. And also, I know how difficult it can be to deal with, especially given the hurt I myself have caused. But have faith, have patience, and try to understand the struggle he goes through. Most likely he really cares about you, and if you're putting up with his **** he will respect you more than you can imagine

There's no easy fix I'm afraid (otherwise I'd be in on that!) but I wish you luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    Hey Dino-unicorn, I've moved your thread from our Advice on Everyday Issues forum to our Mental Health forum in the hope you get better replies here
    Thank you! I realised after I submitted it that I'd put it in the wrong forum, so this is much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redwhiteandbrit)
    Speaking as someone who struggles, albeit with a lower stage, my advice is literally to be patient. I appreciate first-hand the guilt he is talking about. When I say or do things that hurt my girlfriend, it makes me so angry that I can't control that side of me. It's a disorder that is so hard to get to grips with. But if he's anything like I am, you need to know that the side that truly, honestly, and with all his heart cares about you is there, and always is there. Sometimes, it gets masked by the wrong side of us. And also, I know how difficult it can be to deal with, especially given the hurt I myself have caused. But have faith, have patience, and try to understand the struggle he goes through. Most likely he really cares about you, and if you're putting up with his **** he will respect you more than you can imagine

There's no easy fix I'm afraid (otherwise I'd be in on that!) but I wish you luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, usually it's a background struggle, but it's been every day recently, with him really beating me down. It's good to hear this from someone who goes through these experiences, as sometimes its hard to fully appreciate that he doesn't mean the cruel things he says (I have anxiety so that adds to it during these rocky patches, but luckily these feelings for me are much more manageable now). It must be pretty terrifying to lose control as he does as its not something I myself have experienced. And I understand it isn't an easy fix, if only right?
    Thank you for your reply, it's very helpful to hear your perspective. I wish you luck too!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, usually it's a background struggle, but it's been every day recently, with him really beating me down. It's good to hear this from someone who goes through these experiences, as sometimes its hard to fully appreciate that he doesn't mean the cruel things he says (I have anxiety so that adds to it during these rocky patches, but luckily these feelings for me are much more manageable now). It must be pretty terrifying to lose control as he does as its not something I myself have experienced. And I understand it isn't an easy fix, if only right?
    Thank you for your reply, it's very helpful to hear your perspective. I wish you luck too!
    Sounds like we're literally in reverse positions my girlfriend has anxiety as well :P and yeah it's not fun the stuff we say, but if he meant it he wouldn't still be with you - speaking frankly of course!

ReputationRep:
    what were the chances oh my :')

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 30, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.